View Poll Results: Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 48.28%
  • No

15 51.72%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Liverpool build 'L.A.' type Skyscrapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Liverpool should adopt this Mew Mobility Agenda.

New Mobility's aims can be described as:

• Providing equity of mobility between those with and without cars, and throughout the urban area
    • Reducing the carbon intensity of urban transport (as a whole)
    • Making use of all the modes of transport at our disposal (including foot, cycle and all means of motorised transport), as well as technological solutions such as teleworking and passenger information
    • Improving the quality of urban life, particularly in terms of the effects of road traffic
    Well I agree with that.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

People who dont like tall buildings must have been hit on the head by a lift as a child.
    The new museum is squat and ugly like the new arena. why should buildings have to comply in size to ugly brick warehouses like the Albert Dock?
    I think the Liver Building is a joke, an ugly,fat, grey, rectangular concrete office block hiding the beautiful Tower Building in its shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    People who dont like tall buildings must have been hit on the head by a lift as a child.
    Really? Every person?

If you love them go live in one. New York should suit you.

I was not hit on the head by a lift, though calling the Albert Dock and Liver Buildings ugly and a Joke seems the lift may have hit you.

I hate towers. Knock them all down.

The new museum is squat and ugly like the new arena. why should buildings have to comply in size to ugly brick warehouses like the Albert Dock?
    I think the Liver Building is a joke, an ugly,fat, grey, rectangular concrete office block hiding the beautiful Tower Building in its shadow.

As I said, I'm taking time to warm to the new museum because I'm not mad about it's shape - I've heard it being described as looking like a discarded ciggie packet ! or like an airconditioning vent !
    ... but I think we will pleasantly surprised when we see the interior. ( well, I'm hoping so) It has the advantage of having great views from the windows, so I'm told.

We couldn't be without our Liver building now ! and I think you are pulling our leg about the 'ugly warehouses!'

Yeah don't like the new muesuem, new buildings in that area should be built to fit in more.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

As I said, I'm taking time to warm to the new museum because I'm not mad about it's shape - I've heard it being described as looking like a discarded ciggie packet ! or like an airconditioning vent !
    ... but I think we will pleasantly surprised when we see the interior. ( well, I'm hoping so) It has the advantage of having great views from the windows, so I'm told.

We couldn't be without our Liver building now ! and I think you are pulling our leg about the 'ugly warehouses!'
    Like that smiley,Lindy!

Why change Liverpool to be LA...??? I was born in California.. and I must say, LA doesn't have tall skyscrapers.. I think you are thinking of New York maybe?

Liverpool and its Old Worldly charm, is what people come to see.. Not modern skyscrapers.. It is unique in history and I am one for keeping it old world looking.. Sets it apart.. I was disappointed in the New Museum structure, and Liverpool One..a bit..

I do think the City planners have gone in all directions.. and that Liverpool is loosing that charm a bit.. If I wanted to see America ...I wouldn't go to Liverpool.. or Europe.. Keep it unique ...thats' my thoughts... ALOHA..and ta ra..

Talking How high is high?

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Why change Liverpool to be LA...??? I was born in California.. and I must say, LA doesn't have tall skyscrapers.. I think you are thinking of New York maybe?
    I do think the City planners have gone in all directions.. and that Liverpool is loosing that charm a bit.. If I wanted to see America ...I wouldn't go to Liverpool.. or Europe.. Keep it unique ...thats' my thoughts... ALOHA..and ta ra..
    Not sure how tall you want it to be to call it tall....

The top one in Los Angeles is just over 1000 ft and 73 stories - sounds tall enough to me, and it sure looked tall when I flew over it in a small plane at 2000 ft. I lived 25 years in Los Angeles, and that one has been there since 1989.

The NY Empire State Bldg. is at 1250 ft high, and only four of the NY skyscrapers are taller - but they are certainly a lot denser in NY.

I agree on the Old World charm comments, though the new museum, being black, didn't seem to distract very much from the cityscape viewed from the river when I saw it unfinished last November.

Tallest LA building.

Tallest Chicago building looks nice too which is the US's tallest!

Chicago skyline looks nice too.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Liverpool and its Old Worldly charm, is what people come to see.. Not modern skyscrapers.. It is unique in history and I am one for keeping it old world looking.. Sets it apart.. I was disappointed in the New Museum structure, and Liverpool One..a bit..

I know what you are saying NL. Thanks for your nice words about our city

I think the pierhead still retains it's charm and won't lose it even if it is flanked by smart new buildings.

Look at those buildings Max posted. As the Americans would say - awesome !!

I want us to have some of that too .. but within reason - not being clogged up with them, but I want Liverpool to be up there with the rest of them with some knock 'em dead buildings

I'm sure it won't alter our charm and what we already have.

ps, I don't often find myself - when talking about the pierhead - refering to 'the three graces' .. .. I've never been comfortable with that term as it always sounds a bit daft to me.

All my life growing up in Liverpool, I don't recall anyone saying the 3 graces. Not sure when it started - late 80s perhaps ??
    The 3 graces sounds a bit insipid to me

I think the pierhead still retains it's charm and won't lose it even if it is flanked by smart new buildings.
    I think it is losing its charm now. I love the Canal though, great idea that was.

Blog Entries

LOL!
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

As I said, I'm taking time to warm to the new museum because I'm not mad about it's shape
    It looks different from every angle. The finish is superb.

how it once was?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the compliments. A basic, cheap, tall, glass block no one wants. Talls with character and distinction, yes. Liverpool had lots of old world charm but destroyed most of it in 50 years.

The city does not want to become a dead city like Venice. The city has so many first in architecture and engineering, and has to keep up, not draw a line in history and stop. The city has to project a go-ahead progressive image to survive. In the 1980s it was projected to become to the size of a large town it was contracting so rapidly - then it would concentrate on some renovated old parts. We can't build old buildings any more as they cost too much to build, although new buildings with traditional facades we can. They need to insist that any extension of the Georgian Quarter is buildings of the same Georgian style.

The city is poor and will accept almost any reasonable serious developments, although they do daft things like turn down a world-class building like the Brunswick Quay Towers. Liverpool One is just another shopping Mall of no distinction - built over a historical innovative Dock that could have been partially excavated to act as a focal point. That is obvious and too easy to think of.

Tall buildings bring in city centre density quickly, giving vibrancy.

Liverpool is more like Boston than other UK cities, as its previous American links were so strong. Boston is an old historic city and has managed to blend the old and the new.

how it once was?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast