Thread: Victoria Square 1954

Blog Entries

Default Victoria Square 1954

Victoria Square 1954 Victoria Square (original layout) St Anne Street 1937 Holidays over and time to get back to my blog! One of the most fascinating aspects of Liverpool’s social history is that of public housing. Astonishingly, no comprehensive book has been written on the subject in recent years – I await one with great anticipation! – although the [...]

More...

Blog Entries

It may be that 'Brendan Nevina', agrees with you. Along with the link I have posted an abstract of his article, which you may already know.

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a924816338

Abstract
    This paper places the Housing Market Renewal programme in Liverpool in its historical context, highlighting a mismatch between the supply and demand for housing which has existed for four decades. This disequilibrium produced an environment where successive waves of neighbourhood abandonment occurred from the late 1970s despite significant public policy interventions. The implementation of the Housing Market Renewal programme has stimulated a debate about the extent to which the public sector interventions are leading to the gentrification of poor neighbourhoods. The paper finds that there is no evidence of gentrification in older neighbourhoods, however, inflows of capital rather than middle-class residents have altered the physical development of the city to an extent that the housing choices of all income groups have been affected. The paper concludes that critical gentrification research should take account of historical development and wider housing market change to remain relevant to the debate about the changing social and economic structure of cities.

Blog Entries

Victoria Square - there appears to be a scarring, or what could be the remains of a structure in the paving. Any idea what it was?

I've highlighted the area with some colour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VIC .jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	16827
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

Hi Dazza, the scarring was possibly related to the wartime bombing which led to the demolition of one of the four sides. It's a pretty bleak central area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Hi Dazza, the scarring was possibly related to the wartime bombing which led to the demolition of one of the four sides. It's a pretty bleak central area.
    Thanks Colin, that's what I thought at first, but the scarred structure appears to be on the paved island in the middle. Notice the inner ring-road goes right around the paved area, with all buildings on the outside [see the architect's drawing]. Also, the structure was built over the paving, suggesting a later addition?

Maybe they added another block inside after the main perimeter housing was complete?

Just thought it was a bit of an oddity. Perhaps someone on here will know the answer?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Victoria Square - there appears to be a scarring, or what could be the remains of a structure in the paving. Any idea what it was?

I've highlighted the area with some colour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VIC .jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	16827
    Demolished Air raid shelters. The bins on the side are to do with air raids.

The shelters were in place all over the city until the 1960s.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Well done Waterways, that would explain the unusually thick outer walls, and the reason they're built over the paving.