Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kensington Jewish Cemetery

Default David Lewis & Deane Rd Jewish Cemetery

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    i would love a guided tour.
    I think we are extremely lucky in Liverpool with the historic, park-like cemeteries of Victorian times.
    St James', Toxteth, Anfield, etc to name a few
    I understand from the Rabbi at Prince's Rd Synagogue Toxteth that the founder of Lewis's Department store, one David Lewis, is buried at this cemetery. As well as owning the nationwide chain of Lewis's Department stores, he was a well known 19th C Liverpool philanthropist.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I understand from the Rabbi at Prince's Rd Synagogue Toxteth that the founder of Lewis's Department store, one David Lewis, is buried at this cemetery. As well as owning the nationwide chain of Lewis's Department stores, he was a well known 19th C Liverpool philanthropist.
    Thats very interesting Taffy
    I wonder if David Lewis's ancestors are aware of this?!

Thats very interesting Taffy
    I wonder if David Lewis's ancestors are aware of this?!
    I suspect his descendants might know !!!

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I suspect his descendants might know !!!
    They might. They also might be willing to put forward some capital to restore the place, if they have any, is more in line with what I was thinking.

Default Poor condtion of cemeteries

They might. They also might be willing to put forward some capital to restore the place, if they have any, is more in line with what I was thinking.
    Possibly. Really it's up to the old Hewbrew Congregation at Prince's rd Synagogue who own the cemetry to maintain it. Though I suppose the poor state of the Deane Rd Cemetery is no diffferent from the poor state of St Nicholas's Liverpool Parish Cemetry at Walton which is much much larger . This parish doesn't have the money to look aftre the cemetery either.

chippie

Default jewish cemetery

welcome Stewy I lived in Kensington in the early 90s and got into this cemetery with a friend. It was so grossly overgrown and spooky but was cleaned up soon after to a not so spooky state. It looks like someone has got a weather eye on it.

DEANE Road cemetery opened in 1837.
    Jun 25 2007
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

It was last used for regular burials in 1904, but the final funeral in a reserved plot took place in 1929.

Its most famous occupant is David Lewis, who founded Lewis’s department store and died in 1885.

Also buried there is Moses Samuel, whose business was turned into the H Samuel jewellers and Liverpool’s first Jewish mayor, Charles Mozley.

Although there are 750 headstones, it is thought 1,723 people are buried there - including around 900 unmarked graves of babies and infants.

Source: icLiverpool

Forgotten cemetery gets clean-up in city’s facelift
    Jul 26 2007
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

A LONG-forgotten Jewish cemetery was given a thorough makeover as part of a big clean-up of a Liverpool community.

The 170-year-old plot in Deane Road, Kensington, was one of several sites spruced up by a host of environmental workers.

More...

Blog Entries

Nice one Howie, cheers. I've never visited this before, it may be a good chance to.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

DaisyChains

Anyone know of any news on this place?

Default Deane Road Cemetary

My brother lives in Deane Road (on the opposite side from the cemetary and a bit further down). It is set back and hardly noticeable.
    It is Accomplished

ONE of Liverpool’s Jewish cemeteries will hold an open day this month.
    Jun 4 2008
    by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo

The Deane Road cemetery in Kensington will throw open its gates on June 18.

The cemetery, which opened in 1837 and closed in 1904, had fallen into disrepair before recent continuing refurbishment.

It is the final resting place of some of Liverpool’s best-known entrepreneurs, including David Lewis, pioneer of Lewis’s, and Moses Samuel, founder of H Samuel.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Default Deane Road Cemetrey

Some images taken on the 18 June 08' showing Deane road Cemetery (Hebrew)

General View

Baroness Miriam de Menasce (1851-1890)
    Baroness Miriam de Menasce was born Miriam Gollin in Liverpool on 9 February 1851, the second of ten children of Bearman Gollin and Mary Marks. Bearman and Mary were both born in London but married in Liverpool in 1848, under the auspices of Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation. The Gollins were prominent in the local community: Bearman served as Junior Treasurer of LOHC in 1855-56 and Junior Warden 1862-63. Bearman gave 60 guineas to the fund for the building of Princes Road synagogue in the mid-1870s and Mary gave 2 guineas. Their sons donated in their memory an impressive set of silverware to adorn a Scroll of the Law at Princes Road, which is still displayed there today.
    More Info

Showing the overgrowth affecting the Cemetrey

Star Trek
    This marker shows a Jewish blessing, when Lenoad Nemoy, was cast as
    Spock in star trek e was asked to come up with a greating much like a
    salute, he used the blessing with one hand and the rest is history, Live Long and Prosper.

This was the first burial in the Cemetery

A View of the state of some of the Graves

Dr Sigismund Lewis (c.1820-1899)
    Sigismund Lewis obtained his medical degree in Berlin in 1846 and practiced in Hamburg before settling in Liverpool during the 1850s. During the following 40 or so years this erudite and kindly doctor acted as a one-man health service to the Liverpool Jewish community and was appointed honorary medical officer to virtually all of the community’s welfare institutions.
    More Info

David Lewis (1823-1885)
    David Lewis was born David Levy in London, the son of Wolfe Levy, a Jewish merchant. David had at least one brother, who emigrated to Australia in the 1840s. In 1839, he moved to Liverpool to work for Benjamin Hyam & Co, a firm of tailors and outfitters. Within 18 months, he was appointed manager of the Liverpool branch and, in 1842, he was placed in charge of opening new branches in Scotland and Ireland and supervising existing branches.

Lewis started his own business at 44 Ranelagh Street, Liverpool, in 1846, selling men's and boys’ clothing. Most of the clothes were made in his own workshop, as was common at the time, and he also designed new clothes, particularly knickerbocker suits. His customers were mainly working class, and had not been able to afford tailoring until that point.
    More Info

Deane Road Cemetery Web Site
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

Great pics and info DP.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast