Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kensington Jewish Cemetery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Kensington Jewish Cemetery

Firstly let me introduce myself and say what a great site/forum Yo Liverpool is. I work closely with Ross (Ross 08) to study local history and interests.

I will be looking to post regularly, helping with peoples questions where I can and likewise, asking for help on things I am working on.

Let's get going then! Firstly, I would be grateful if anyone could provide me with any information on this 'disused' graveyard in Dean Road, which runs between Kensington and Edge Lane.

I have visited the site and it appears to contain gravestones with what I would say could be possibly Jewish inscriptures on. Looks like nobody has been inthere for some time and access is prohibited.

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers, Stu.
    I speak scouse, eat scouse and drink Cains. Does that make me a scouser?

scouserdave

Stewy, it is a Jewish Cemetery. Best website I know for info is the Payback Project

Here's a couple of poor quality pics I took about 12 years ago.

PhilipG

Default Jewish Cemetery, Deane Road.

It was consecrated in September 1837.
    Deane Road was then called Deane Street.
    It was closed in 1904 when Broad Green Cemetery opened.

Above the entry it says: "Here the weary are at rest", which is presumably repeated in Jewish.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 03-16-2007 at 10:23 PM.

"Site Unavailable", ScouserDave.

I've seen something online about that place but I'm not sure if it was that link....have to go digging...

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    "Site Unavailable", ScouserDave.

I've seen something online about that place but I'm not sure if it was that link....have to go digging...
    The Link I sent works fine as well as the history page, but some of the other pages are offline. This is a portion from the history page:

" The cemetery on Deane Road is the property and responsibility of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation (LOHC). Prior to moving to their current beautiful building on Princes Road in Toxteth in 1874, the congregation had worshipped in a converted house at 133 Upper Frederick Street, the back garden of which was used as a cemetery as early as 1773. Burials continued there until the establishment of Oakes Street cemetery (close to the city centre) in 1802. The congregation moved from Upper Frederick Street to a new, purpose-built synagogue on Seel Street in 1808, and continued to use Oakes Street cemetery. However, this was small and an unsuitable resting place for members of a congregation rapidly growing in both size and wealth. It was later demolished in 1904.

In 1835, a site on Deane Street in the Kensington district was purchased as a formal burial ground (it would not become Deane Road until 1865). A huge, ornate archway was built to serve as its entrance, made of stucco and stone, in the Greek revival style. The archway remains to this day, now as a Grade II listed structure. In front of this was an impressive driveway, with a small stone wall and cast iron railings with spear heads. The cemetery was consecrated and the first burials there occurred in late 1837, continuing on a regular basis until 1904. For more details on the sources of information on the number and names of those interred at Deane Road, go to the Register section of this site."

Thanks for that.

Just something I was interested to look into. Some useful information there.
    I speak scouse, eat scouse and drink Cains. Does that make me a scouser?

Default Call for Deane Road Cemetery Photos

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Stewy, it is a Jewish Cemetery. Best website I know for info is the Payback Project

Here's a couple of poor quality pics I took about 12 years ago.

These particular links don't work any more but I'm really interested in gathering all old photos of Deane Road Jewish cemetery if anyone has any, I'd be really grateful.

see link:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views...0252-29445663/

Look at the deane road website, contact Saul Marks
    he could help you for a small donation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy C View Post
    Firstly let me introduce myself and say what a great site/forum Yo Liverpool is. I work closely with Ross (Ross 08) to study local history and interests.

I will be looking to post regularly, helping with peoples questions where I can and likewise, asking for help on things I am working on.

Cheers, Stu.
    Stu, welcome to the site mate, you'll find many helpful members here, as the replies here show Stick around

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Default Kensingtons Jewish Cemetry

This is the entrance to Kensington's Jewish Cemetery, it's opposite the Lidl, there is talk of it being re-opened to the Public

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    This is the entrance to Kensington's Jewish Cemetery, it's opposite the Lidl, there is talk of it being re-opened to the Public
    How do you mean "re-opened to the public"?
    It's been closed for over a century, presumably because it was full.

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

To walk around and visit.

Default jewish cemetary deane road

Thanks all
    looking back on past posts i have found more info-brilliant!!! Its just an amzing looking structure-thank goodness it is listed or it would be gone by now. It should be reopened but maybe then it would get damaged. zIt looked like it needed some tlc-does anyone look after it at all???

Quote Originally Posted by shirleya View Post
    Thanks all
    looking back on past posts i have found more info-brilliant!!! Its just an amzing looking structure-thank goodness it is listed or it would be gone by now. It should be reopened but maybe then it would get damaged. zIt looked like it needed some tlc-does anyone look after it at all???
    I understand the the Prince's Rd, Toxteth Synagogue congregation are active in trying to raise funds to restore the cemetery.

Default Deane Road Jewish Cemetery

Hi everyone, it is lovely to see you all taking such an interest in our cemetery! There is lots of news for you, most of which you can get direct from the horse's mouth at www.deaneroadcemetery.com. A group of 7 local people formed a committee two years ago. We include two Jews, one from the Princes Road Synagogue and also a local Archivist, two people from the Kensington Regeneration staff, someone from the C7 Housing Association, a gardener and me - the local ward councillor. We have so far held two open days, which you have seen posts of on this thread and photographs. I am in one of the sepia photos, in a black hat.
    We have been working for 12 months now on a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund and we have passed the first stage. Next week we are putting out a tender document to interested conservation people to see who might want to quote for helping us develop the second stage of the bid to the Lottery. We ultimately would like to raise about a quarter of a million pounds to pay for the restoration of the cemetery - its walls, facade, listed structures, graves etc. We hope then to open the cemetery more often for tours, and to schools etc. There is a Friends of Deane Road Road Cemetery you can join too, via our website where we also take donations. We have tried to get money from David Lewis's old store but they don't have any to give us. He didn't have children and left most of his money for local buildings in the city.
    Thanks for your interest! Best wishes, Louise

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast