Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kensington Jewish Cemetery

Default Kensington Jewish Cemetery

Firstly let me introduce myself and say what a great site/forum Yo Liverpool is. I work closely with Ross (Ross 08) to study local history and interests.

I will be looking to post regularly, helping with peoples questions where I can and likewise, asking for help on things I am working on.

Let's get going then! Firstly, I would be grateful if anyone could provide me with any information on this 'disused' graveyard in Dean Road, which runs between Kensington and Edge Lane.

I have visited the site and it appears to contain gravestones with what I would say could be possibly Jewish inscriptures on. Looks like nobody has been inthere for some time and access is prohibited.

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers, Stu.
    I speak scouse, eat scouse and drink Cains. Does that make me a scouser?

scouserdave

Stewy, it is a Jewish Cemetery. Best website I know for info is the Payback Project

Here's a couple of poor quality pics I took about 12 years ago.

PhilipG

Default Jewish Cemetery, Deane Road.

It was consecrated in September 1837.
    Deane Road was then called Deane Street.
    It was closed in 1904 when Broad Green Cemetery opened.

Above the entry it says: "Here the weary are at rest", which is presumably repeated in Jewish.

Last edited by PhilipG; 03-16-2007 at 10:23 PM.

"Site Unavailable", ScouserDave.

I've seen something online about that place but I'm not sure if it was that link....have to go digging...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stewy C View Post
    Firstly let me introduce myself and say what a great site/forum Yo Liverpool is. I work closely with Ross (Ross 08) to study local history and interests.

I will be looking to post regularly, helping with peoples questions where I can and likewise, asking for help on things I am working on.

Cheers, Stu.
    Stu, welcome to the site mate, you'll find many helpful members here, as the replies here show Stick around

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    "Site Unavailable", ScouserDave.

I've seen something online about that place but I'm not sure if it was that link....have to go digging...
    The Link I sent works fine as well as the history page, but some of the other pages are offline. This is a portion from the history page:

" The cemetery on Deane Road is the property and responsibility of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation (LOHC). Prior to moving to their current beautiful building on Princes Road in Toxteth in 1874, the congregation had worshipped in a converted house at 133 Upper Frederick Street, the back garden of which was used as a cemetery as early as 1773. Burials continued there until the establishment of Oakes Street cemetery (close to the city centre) in 1802. The congregation moved from Upper Frederick Street to a new, purpose-built synagogue on Seel Street in 1808, and continued to use Oakes Street cemetery. However, this was small and an unsuitable resting place for members of a congregation rapidly growing in both size and wealth. It was later demolished in 1904.

In 1835, a site on Deane Street in the Kensington district was purchased as a formal burial ground (it would not become Deane Road until 1865). A huge, ornate archway was built to serve as its entrance, made of stucco and stone, in the Greek revival style. The archway remains to this day, now as a Grade II listed structure. In front of this was an impressive driveway, with a small stone wall and cast iron railings with spear heads. The cemetery was consecrated and the first burials there occurred in late 1837, continuing on a regular basis until 1904. For more details on the sources of information on the number and names of those interred at Deane Road, go to the Register section of this site."

Thanks for that.

Just something I was interested to look into. Some useful information there.
    I speak scouse, eat scouse and drink Cains. Does that make me a scouser?

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Default Kensingtons Jewish Cemetry

This is the entrance to Kensington's Jewish Cemetery, it's opposite the Lidl, there is talk of it being re-opened to the Public

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    This is the entrance to Kensington's Jewish Cemetery, it's opposite the Lidl, there is talk of it being re-opened to the Public
    How do you mean "re-opened to the public"?
    It's been closed for over a century, presumably because it was full.

To walk around and visit.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    there is talk of it being re-opened to the Public

Who are your sources Droney? This is news to me. The Payback Project are still searching for funding to get it back into a reasonable state and if it's opened to the public, the place will just get vandalised.

I was talking to a guy who was unlocking the gates he had just finished cleaning up the site with the help of young offenders from NACRO (National Association for the Care and Rehabilitation of Offenders) he was saying he hoped to get funds to repair the arch and open the site to the public.

He gave me his card If I Find it I will post his home site here.

scouserdave

I think what the lad meant was that after the re-consecration, there'll be guided tours around the cemetery.

PhilipG

Perhaps a bit of clarification is in order.
    When cemeteries are "Closed", it usually means closed for further burials, but relatives would still be allowed to visit the graves.
    Whether Jewish cemeteries are more private than other denominations I wouldn't know.
    Even though I'd like to wander round, I don't think it's a good idea to open it as a "public park".

Just read Dave's post.
    Guided tours sound great.

DaisyChains

i would love a guided tour.
    I think we are extremely lucky in Liverpool with the historic, park-like cemeteries of Victorian times.
    St James', Toxteth, Anfield, etc to name a few

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast