Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kensington Jewish Cemetery

Better tell Sid!

Liverpool grave of Lewis? Department Store owner, David Lewis gets a makeover
    Apr 23 2009
    by James Illingworth, Liverpool Daily Post

THE gravestone of the founder of a famous Liverpool department store has been given a makeover.

Restoration work to the resting place of David Lewis took place yesterday at Deane Road Jewish Cemetery, Kensington.

David, who was the founder of Lewis's Department Store, in Ranelaigh Street, died in 1885 and his eight-foot high memorial has since become weather-worn.

Cllr Louise Baldock, who is a volunteer helper at the cemetery, said: ?It is a shame that David's grave has got like this. The inscriptions on the stone have become very hard to read. Because it is so special and he is the most famous 'inhabitant' of our cemetery, we thought we should do something about it.

?We are in the process of restoring all of the gravestones, not just David's.?

Volunteers at the cemetery are awaiting the results of their bid for a ?200,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund for a full restoration project.

The cost of the work to David's gravestone has been donated by ex-Lewis's employee David Boydell.

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Wonderful to hear. Thanks, Howie.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Sunday, 6 September 2009

Noticed the cemetery was open to the public today as I was passing so had a quick look inside.

For further info on the restoration efforts, see www.deaneroadcemetery.com

Stumbled upon this video taken recently ( September ).
    Ignore me if you've seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SaM0nb1Ug
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Default jewish cemetary deane road

Thanks all
    looking back on past posts i have found more info-brilliant!!! Its just an amzing looking structure-thank goodness it is listed or it would be gone by now. It should be reopened but maybe then it would get damaged. zIt looked like it needed some tlc-does anyone look after it at all???

Quote Originally Posted by shirleya View Post
    Thanks all
    looking back on past posts i have found more info-brilliant!!! Its just an amzing looking structure-thank goodness it is listed or it would be gone by now. It should be reopened but maybe then it would get damaged. zIt looked like it needed some tlc-does anyone look after it at all???
    I understand the the Prince's Rd, Toxteth Synagogue congregation are active in trying to raise funds to restore the cemetery.

Default Deane Road Jewish Cemetery

Hi everyone, it is lovely to see you all taking such an interest in our cemetery! There is lots of news for you, most of which you can get direct from the horse's mouth at www.deaneroadcemetery.com. A group of 7 local people formed a committee two years ago. We include two Jews, one from the Princes Road Synagogue and also a local Archivist, two people from the Kensington Regeneration staff, someone from the C7 Housing Association, a gardener and me - the local ward councillor. We have so far held two open days, which you have seen posts of on this thread and photographs. I am in one of the sepia photos, in a black hat.
    We have been working for 12 months now on a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund and we have passed the first stage. Next week we are putting out a tender document to interested conservation people to see who might want to quote for helping us develop the second stage of the bid to the Lottery. We ultimately would like to raise about a quarter of a million pounds to pay for the restoration of the cemetery - its walls, facade, listed structures, graves etc. We hope then to open the cemetery more often for tours, and to schools etc. There is a Friends of Deane Road Road Cemetery you can join too, via our website where we also take donations. We have tried to get money from David Lewis's old store but they don't have any to give us. He didn't have children and left most of his money for local buildings in the city.
    Thanks for your interest! Best wishes, Louise

no problem. it is a spectacular looking frontage to the cemetery. have we any more older pictures of what it used to look like anywhere.???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louise Baldock View Post
    Hi everyone, it is lovely to see you all taking such an interest in our cemetery! There is lots of news for you, most of which you can get direct from the horse's mouth at www.deaneroadcemetery.com. A group of 7 local people formed a committee two years ago. We include two Jews, one from the Princes Road Synagogue and also a local Archivist, two people from the Kensington Regeneration staff, someone from the C7 Housing Association, a gardener and me - the local ward councillor. We have so far held two open days, which you have seen posts of on this thread and photographs. I am in one of the sepia photos, in a black hat.
    We have been working for 12 months now on a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund and we have passed the first stage. Next week we are putting out a tender document to interested conservation people to see who might want to quote for helping us develop the second stage of the bid to the Lottery. We ultimately would like to raise about a quarter of a million pounds to pay for the restoration of the cemetery - its walls, facade, listed structures, graves etc. We hope then to open the cemetery more often for tours, and to schools etc. There is a Friends of Deane Road Road Cemetery you can join too, via our website where we also take donations. We have tried to get money from David Lewis's old store but they don't have any to give us. He didn't have children and left most of his money for local buildings in the city.
    Thanks for your interest! Best wishes, Louise
    Wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to admit you own that fancy looking hat Louise.

Default Call for Deane Road Cemetery Photos

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Stewy, it is a Jewish Cemetery. Best website I know for info is the Payback Project

Here's a couple of poor quality pics I took about 12 years ago.

These particular links don't work any more but I'm really interested in gathering all old photos of Deane Road Jewish cemetery if anyone has any, I'd be really grateful.

see link:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/views...0252-29445663/

Look at the deane road website, contact Saul Marks
    he could help you for a small donation

Exhibition marks Jewish cemetery refurb

Deane Road cemetery, which opened in 1837, is the final resting place of Liverpool luminaries such as David Lewis, the founder of the department store Lewis’s, and Moses Samuel, founder of H Samuel jewellers.

The last recorded burial took place in 1929. Since then the derelict site has fallen into disrepair and become overgrown with weeds

Now prints and paintings by local artists and photographers - and a temporary light installation by artist Robyn Woolston make up a new exhibition at Kensington Methodist Church.

More >>

*The exhibition is open Thursdays and Fridays 11am – 4pm and Sundays 1pm – 4pm until 23 October. 294 Kensington Liverpool, L7 2RN

Cheers for that Howie,,,,,,my neck of the woods !......I will be taking a look at that one.

collegepudding

Suggest you enter 'Deane Road' in the search box in the header at the top of this page. A mine of info is available.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast