Great those Kev, ta.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Glad you like 'em
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

i like the map of everton it's cool, everton was called "evertoN' but liverpoole was called "liverpoole" we are even more original than liverpool "e"
    Last edited by shoney; 02-11-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The first contemporary map mentioning Liverpool

Records Office at Liverpool City Library
    Wow,I've never seen that one before. Trouble is,I can't figure out what I'm looking at. Where's Liverpool,what area is it covering,which way is north etc? What are all those curly lines also? They look like a spider plant. Anyone care to help thickie me? .

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by skgogosfan View Post
    Wow,I've never seen that one before. Trouble is,I can't figure out what I'm looking at. Where's Liverpool,what area is it covering,which way is north etc? What are all those curly lines also? They look like a spider plant. Anyone care to help thickie me? .

Dave.
    Hi Dave

Liverpool is at the middle right, spelled "lyu'pole" which is actually south. The top of the map is the east coast of England, with Hartlepool in the top left corner. Bottom right is Anglesey with Beaumaris shown unrealistically on the north coast... never mind. Scotland is on the left (north) with what is supposed to be Hadrian's Wall the castellated line running diagonally toward the bottom, the Lake District just to the right of that with Workington visible on the coast and the Isle of Man ("Insula de man") offshore, partly off the map. The curvy lines you asked about are the rivers so the next curvy line to the left or north of Liverpool is the Ribble with Cockersand Abbey with the steeple on the coast and Lancaster and Preston visible and "Amounderness" hundred noted in the rectangle. The big place in the middle of the map or more correctly top center right marked "Eboracum" is the Latin name for York with the rivers shown and nearby places like Ripon and Knaresborough marked. Dave, I hope this explanation helps!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Phoebe Ann Street

Anyone know where Phoebe Anne Street got its name and does anyone have a map with it included on it.

George

Default Anyone seen this site?

Very basic in the streets and some are not listed but generally its a start. ;-)

http://www.toxteth.net/maps/liverpoo...gazeteer.htm#C

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Dave

Liverpool is at the middle right, spelled "lyu'pole" which is actually south. The top of the map is the east coast of England, with Hartlepool in the top left corner. Bottom right is Anglesey with Beaumaris shown unrealistically on the north coast... never mind. Scotland is on the left (north) with what is supposed to be Hadrian's Wall the castellated line running diagonally toward the bottom, the Lake District just to the right of that with Workington visible on the coast and the Isle of Man ("Insula de man") offshore, partly off the map. The curvy lines you asked about are the rivers so the next curvy line to the left or north of Liverpool is the Ribble with Cockersand Abbey with the steeple on the coast and Lancaster and Preston visible and "Amounderness" hundred noted in the rectangle. The big place in the middle of the map or more correctly top center right marked "Eboracum" is the Latin name for York with the rivers shown and nearby places like Ripon and Knaresborough marked. Dave, I hope this explanation helps!

Chris
    Hi Chris...yes,it did. Thanks! I had another look and spotted some recognisable names also,so I think I know where I am now!

Dave.

Blog Entries

This is from a book published in 1657 the days before they had snappy titles - "A BOOK of the NAMES of all Parishes, Market Towns, Villages, Hamlets and the smallest Places in England and Wales - Alphabetically set down, as they be in every Shire with the Names of the Hundreds in which they are, and how many Towns there are in each Hundred."

...or as we'd call it, a Gazetteer.

A Full size image can be downloaded HERE.

Default liverpool maps

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    This is from a book published in 1657 the days before they had snappy titles - "A BOOK of the NAMES of all Parishes, Market Towns, Villages, Hamlets and the smallest Places in England and Wales - Alphabetically set down, as they be in every Shire with the Names of the Hundreds in which they are, and how many Towns there are in each Hundred."

...or as we'd call it, a Gazetteer.

A Full size image can be downloaded HERE.
    I'm completely gobsmacked! Almost every time I visit this website I come
    upon something interesting and rewarding!! This thread is a case in point -absolutely fascinating. I came across it quite by accident an hour ago and
    followed it backwards - if I can coin a phrase - and next time follow it all
    through again logically and even more painstakingly. My thanks to all for your
    contributions , it's a really brilliant thread you've put together!
    Stan H
    Last edited by 18stanley; 12-18-2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: needed to be made clearer

Blog Entries

Thank you Stanley

Here is another map of Liverpool with the old 'Town Fields' drawn over a mind-19th Century map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Liverpool Fields.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	551.9 KB 
ID:	8842  

Default Saint Augustine s High School

hi all, seasons greetings to all, could anyone help me,,i am trying to find a map of Sefton by Walton jail, as i am trying to find the footprint of the old and now gone, Saint Augustine s High School, as i now live in that area, and it would be nice to see what was here before me,, i think it was built mid 70s and demolished about 1980,,bye for now Jimmy.
    ps if anyone has a photo i would be very grateful..

maps of old liverpool 1905 can be had for about ?2 70 or something like that.
    this is in no way an add for said maps .there published by Alan Godfrey maps
    Prospect Business Park,Leadgate.Consett.DH8 7PW.
    or go to. www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk.

Hi Jimmy, Try this one:-

British History; Liverpool map

Click on map to enlarge/centre your chosen area.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Hiya mate just wondering do you still have the map of Gladstone rd seacombe...thanks mate

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast