Thread: Vindicatrix Re-union

Blog Entries

Default Vindicatrix Re-union

The Training Schoolship Vindicatrix was a place where many of the boy's who wished to go to sea were sent to be taught the rudiments of seamanship,if they wished to be deckhands ,or catering if they wished to be stewards. The School and campsite were based on the ship canal in the little village of Sharpness in Gloucestershire. Tens of thousands of boys from all over the UK attended this school between 1939 until its closure in the 1960's.
    Those old boy's are now todays old men, and some of us are members of the Vindicatrix Association. The association has branches all over the U.K. and in Ausstralia and New Zealand too. Liverpool hs a thriving association and, each year the members ,who are able, join with many others, in an annual re-union which is held near the old campsite in Sharpness. It is a three day affair and such is the attendance that it is almost impossible to get a hotel room that is within ten miles of the place. Most people book next years room as they leave this years reunion. It is a time of reflection ,catching up with old friends ,and making new ones. Many wives now accompany the husbands and they have a super time.
    It is always a little sad when we say goodbye each year,but nthe we go home with our batteries charged and look foward to next year.
    The second picture from the left has Clancy and Captain Kong on it, and the fourth picture has Fred Scuttle ,AKA Billy Seddon. The rest are ex Vindi boys and their wives,
    BrianD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S73F8249.JPG 
Views:	627 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	16810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clancy 1.JPG 
Views:	638 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	16806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S73F8255.JPG 
Views:	572 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	16807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S73F8237.JPG 
Views:	786 
Size:	348.9 KB 
ID:	16808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S73F8247.JPG 
Views:	540 
Size:	476.9 KB 
ID:	16809

I'm sure this pic of the Vindi has been posted many times, but for you lads it's still good to see. This is a copy of my elder brothers photo, given to all ratings when they completed the training course. I'm a Dickie Bond (Oldham Street, 1958) lad so I missed out on the camaraderie that was generated at Sharpness.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries

Yes we had another good reunion again this year. I was camping on the field again, and again I took a barrel of Real Ale from my brothers brewery, Aspinalls Cambrinous Craft Brewery, Knowlsley, Purveyor of the Finest Real Ales to the Northern Shires.
    I also took a case of Lager for the ones who do that sort of thing.
    The whole lot went in no time, There was about 800 men this time, the most we had was 1500 men when the memorial was unveiled.
    Now that is a Reunion.

Blog Entries

This is a short video I made at this years Re-union,
    BrianD

I was at the Vindi' in 1958 (deck). I remember one of the ship's officers, who being from Liverpool, always gave precedence to cadets hailing from the city. For instance there were two breakfast sittings and naturally starving there was stiff competition among the cadets to get first breakfast.

This officer would stand at the top of the gangway and make it clear that any Scousers in the queue would eat first. Not surprisingly we Liverpudlians took full advantage of it but on reaching the officer barring the doorway into the ship's hull you had to identify which part of Liverpool you came from.

At the time I lived in Waterloo, which was a bit of a grey area and so one couldn't be certain of qualifying as a Scouser. So I used to say Knowsley Road (Bootle) where I had lived earlier.

You couldn't fool this officer: He would ask you to name several roads close to where you said you lived. In my case, Linacre Lane, Hornby Boulevard (boulevard! It does sound posh): the North Park, etc. As far as I am aware no one but true Scousers wheedled their way into first sitting.

Sir! I hope there is a special place in heaven for you - especially for kicking the arse of that Brummie back down the gangway. Sir!

PS Would the little ******* who got a kick out of thumping the breakfast table causing the f****** maggots to drop on our knees own up?

Blog Entries

Mike,
    Have you recounted that story on another site? I'm sure I've heard it before.

Not as far as I recall, Kevin. But my writing is pretty much encyclopaedic so either I or someone else might have mentioned this particular officer before. These days my PC has a far better memory than do I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike walsh View Post
    Not as far as I recall, Kevin. But my writing is pretty much encyclopaedic so either I or someone else might have mentioned this particular officer before. These days my PC has a far better memory than do I.
    There's enough of you went through the system - many must also recall that officer.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

Blog Entries

I think I have mentioned before about my love of sniffing around old book shops,well today I hit pay dirt. I found an old copy of Francis Friths Canal's and Waterway,s and ,on page 27, came across this wonderful shot of the Vindicatrix. It was taken in 1955. If you were on the Vindi ,it should evoke memories of short rations and bullshine, and happy,happy days,
    BrianD
    Attachment:

Ships Gallery 003 (Medium).jpg [ 74.11 KiB | Not viewed yet ]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ships Gallery 003 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	17308