Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leading Stoker

Blog Entries

In 1952 when I went to sea, a Deck Boy or Catering Boy was on £10 a month, a 56 hour week, an Efficient Deck Hand, was on £24 a month, EDH was a man who had passed examinations in Seamanship and a Lifeboat certificate, for his ABs certificate, but had an increment of £1 every year for four years, then he became a full Able Seaman on £28 a month, that was a skilled tradesman.
    This wage was similar for Stewards and Firemen when they had the sea time in.
    Billy Hart in the 1947 strike was demanding £28 a month for ABs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christopherneil View Post
    Is this term realted just to RN or Merchant as well?
    A somewhat delayed reply now I know, but I think the term or title `leading stoker`was strictly Royal Navy. Leastways I most certainly `never ever` heard of stokers in merchant ships. Such men in the MN were simply `firemen` whether in coal or oil burners.

Blog Entries

Hi Trampshipman here is what I wrote earlier, there were no stokers in the MN only in the RN....

Stoker was never used when I was at sea, down below the man who fed the fires on a coal burning Steam ship was always known as a Fireman, He fed the furnaces, raked and sliced to get rid of the clinker to keep the fires burning correctly to get the maximum heat out of the coal. The man who carried the coal from the bunkers to the plates where the Fireman worked was known as a Trimmer, later on when ships became oil burning the name Fireman still applied. The Fireman tended the boilers, changing the Tips on the burners every watch, watching the PSI and the water levels.
    Greaser was the name given to the man who tended the diesel engines.

I did a "Firemans" job on one coal burning steam ship and on a T2 tanker, oil burner as
    "Fireman Water Tender "./

Quote Originally Posted by JMLE View Post
    I thought this was another gay pride thread when I read the title.
    haha.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

When i was serving in the navy, only around 5 years ago, the term was used then still. Hope that helps!
    www.widnestown.co.uk - Widnes Til I Die!!

My great grandfather's occupation is given as ship's fireman or boilerman between the 1880s and the 1910s - does anyone know if there is a difference between the two?

He was born in Co. Offaly, Ireland but lived in Saltney Street, Liverpool from about the age of 5. He went to sea sometime after 1881, and lived in the east end of London between voyages until his death in the 1930s. My mother said he sailed around the world twice - one by sail and once by steam. I would love to trace his career further - any suggestions as to how I mght go about it? I'm completely confused by the records available. His name was Patrick MacRedmond.

Thanks

Teresa

Blog Entries

To get anywhere on the internet perhaps you should first bring together what documents and information you can from family etc.
    The names of the ships he sailed on and/or the shipping companies he worked for. Was he ever hospitalised?

This too will help you...

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/researchers/lib...aritime-museum

Thanks a million - will certainly look up the link. I have quite alot of info about the family, and have even traced his baptism record in Ireland, but have almost no info about his time at sea. We don't know the names of any ships he served on, and this seems to be the most important bit of info re tracing sailors?

Teresa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12