Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leading Stoker

Default Leading Stoker

Is this term realted just to RN or Merchant as well?

I thought this was another gay pride thread when I read the title.

My grandfather was at sea from the age of 14 (1924 ) till he retired at 65, I remember him telling me that his job was a Donkeyman / Greaser but in the Royal Navy he would have been called a Stoker and that Stoker was the Navy's term for Engine room ratings.
    He was under RN terms a few voyages during the war and as such classed as a naval rating for the trip.
    Still remember seeing his seamans book, with the stamps of all the ships he served on, plus 3 with "Discharged at sea" stamped across the entry. They were the ships that were torpedoed from under him, and his wages stopped as soon as the ship sank!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

I hope this helps...

Rates and ranks of the Royal Navy in ascending order:

* Able Seaman
    * Leading Rate

* Petty Officer
    * Chief Petty Officer

* Warrant Officer 2
    * Warrant Officer 1

* Officer Cadet
    * Midshipman

* Sub-Lieutenant
    * Lieutenant
    * Lieutenant-Commander

* Commander
    * Captain
    * Commodore

* Rear-Admiral
    * Vice-Admiral
    * Admiral

* Admiral of the Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Prefrab View Post
    Still remember seeing his seamans book, with the stamps of all the ships he served on, plus 3 with "Discharged at sea" stamped across the entry. They were the ships that were torpedoed from under him, and his wages stopped as soon as the ship sank!!!!!!!!!!
    He managed to keep his book...

My grandfather's one had an entry in the front about it being a replacement because the original was lost when he was torpedoed off the coast of Spain in WWI....

Don't know about his wages at that time though...

Blog Entries

The term 'stoker' applied to those shovelling coal into coal-fired boilers for steam turbine engines. I've never heard that it only applied to RN personnel, but then I only ever sailed with diesel engines.

Blog Entries

Stoker was never used when I was at sea, down below the man who fed the fires on a coal burning Steam ship was always known as a Fireman, He fed the furnaces, raked and sliced to get rid of the clinker to keep the fires burning correctly to get the maximum heat out of the coal. The man who carried the coal from the bunkers to the plates where the Fireman worked was known as a Trimmer, later on when ships became oil burning the name Fireman still applied. The Fireman tended the boilers, changing the Tips on the burners every watch, watching the PSI and the water levels.
    Greaser was the name given to the man who tended the diesel engines.
    I did a Firemans job on one coal burning steam ship and on a T2 tanker as Fireman Water Tender

Blog Entries

Once again, I bow to the superior knowledge of The Mighty Kong!

I have a death certificate with the reference to "rank or profession of father" given as Leading Stoker.

So is this a rank that cover both RN & MN or is it used in both.

I am trying to find out which service this person Robert James Macfarlane was in

Thanks

Chris Neil

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    He managed to keep his book...

My grandfather's one had an entry in the front about it being a replacement because the original was lost when he was torpedoed off the coast of Spain in WWI....

Don't know about his wages at that time though...
    Wages ending in the Merchant Navy ( not sure of the Senior Service) historic, a seaman is paid for the term of the voyage, when the voyage ends so does the wage..........There is a story about seamen from the Titanic, who were given £5.00 by a wealthy passenger in the lifeboat they manned after the sinking, They were considered pariahs and one young mans mother when he returned home slammed the door in his face and never spoke to him again.

Wages ending in the Merchant Navy ( not sure of the Senior Service) historic, a seaman is paid for the term of the voyage, when the voyage ends so does the wage..........There is a story about seamen from the Titanic, who were given £5.00 by a wealthy passenger in the lifeboat they manned after the sinking, They were considered pariahs and one young mans mother when he returned home slammed the door in his face and never spoke to him again.
    Interesting methodology...

Was there any "hazard pay" or equivalent during WW1 of WWII?

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Interesting methodology...

Was there any "hazard pay" or equivalent during WW1 of WWII?
    My grandad, told me the only extra hazard pay was if you crewed a Tanker particularly aviation fuel .
    Alan Burns's book Tribute to the brave goes into detail the way merchant seaman were treated,during wartime http://www.sunderlandecho.com/daily/...ost.3460948.jp

My grandad, told me the only extra hazard pay was if you crewed a Tanker particularly aviation fuel .
    Alan Burns's book Tribute to the brave goes into detail the way merchant seaman were treated,during wartime http://www.sunderlandecho.com/daily/...ost.3460948.jp
    Should have have said" his tribute to the brave" Sunderland mariners lost at sea........

Blog Entries

Here is the payments to an AB during WW2

"In 1941 the Merchant Navy paid able-bodied seamen ten pound, twelve shillings and sixpence per month plus a war bonus of ten pounds per month." google

After the war the ship owners tried to stop the war Bonus. This started the 1947 strike by the merchant seamen, led by Billy Hart.

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    Here is the payments to an AB during WW2

"In 1941 the Merchant Navy paid able-bodied seamen ten pound, twelve shillings and sixpence per month plus a war bonus of ten pounds per month." google

After the war the ship owners tried to stop the war Bonus. This started the 1947 strike by the merchant seamen, led by Billy Hart.
    Thanks for the info...

Was the strike successful?

Did the 1948 pay remain at 20 and 1/2 pounds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast