Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Litherland Park

PhilipG

Thanks folks for those links and photos.
    There's an 1845 map there which shows the roads of Litherland Park in an "A" shape, with just a couple of houses already built.
    There's just one single story house I saw that seems to be really old.
    It's shown on the map.

Default Litherland Park

Hi i used to run the pub over the road from Litherland Park there used to be gates on the pillars i did have some photos somewhere the large older houses were owned by rich merchants connected to the docks , just past there was all open no houses mainly farms and the like , one of my customers told me that some houses were given to sea captains and thier families to live in for a small rent , and the pillars once had rings and chains on them , with which to chain slaves who were brought over from Africa on slave ships to work at the grander houses , i have seen two illustrations and one picture of this and the gates were shown on all three , what happened to the gates though is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by david369 View Post
    Hi i used to run the pub over the road from Litherland Park there used to be gates on the pillars i did have some photos somewhere the large older houses were owned by rich merchants connected to the docks , just past there was all open no houses mainly farms and the like , one of my customers told me that some houses were given to sea captains and thier families to live in for a small rent , and the pillars once had rings and chains on them , with which to chain slaves who were brought over from Africa on slave ships to work at the grander houses , i have seen two illustrations and one picture of this and the gates were shown on all three , what happened to the gates though is a mystery.
    Hi dave,
    I think the slave thing is a myth! Very few slaves were actually brought to the city,and the one's who were,as servants,wouldn't have been chained up to a gatepost!! There are some good pic's of some of these old houses/estates on "Litherland picture post",along with various historical snippets!
    Steve.

Hello
    Realise this is an old post and there were originally several replies to it.

I live in Litherland Park in what has been the family home for nearly fifity years and can clarify some details

Yes there were originally gates. They were taken away during one of the World wars along with the metal railings that fronted many (possibly all) of the houses, many still have the low sandstone walls that the railings fitted into.
    The two small bungalows at each gate were gate keepers cottages,occupied to let carraiges in.

Originally the houses didn't have numbers that were used for identification. There were plot numbers for each adjacent plot but the houses were identified by unique names . Later they became identified by a numbers, but unlike an ordinary street with odds on the left and evens on the right they run consecutive and correspond to the original plot numbers. No1 being on the left as you go through the gate opposite Wilsons lane,number two next door, three next to that and so on all the way around the outer edge to 46 I think at the other gate. The numbers then cross the road and go back around to the right side of the Wilsons lane gate. The numbering then goes back up to the road that crosses up in the middle (as these were built at a later date)
    Itconfuses the hell out of delivery and taxi drivers !!

As someone said the majority of houses were those of merchants and sea captains, several of the larger houses on the west side of the park and up on top of Hatton hill had flat rooves at the rear giving a fantastic view over Liverpool bay, and presumably used to get a view of ships arriving in the bay and signalling systems on the tip of the wirral.

The slave rings in the walls were a myth

The land was originally farm land belong ing to several farms, some belonging to the Lords Sefton estate,who agreed to sell to a group, a lot of them his friends, set up for the purpose of raising something along the lines of an housing association! Creating 77lots for the building of the houses. This was started around 1850s .The deed of covenant for ours i 1854 and was built during the early 1860s.
    Last edited by Plodding on; 07-20-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Plodding on View Post
    Hello
    Realise this is an old post and there were originally several replies to it.

I live in Litherland Park in what has been the family home for nearly fifity years and can clarify some details

Yes there were originally gates. They were taken away during one of the World wars along with the metal railings that fronted many (possibly all) of the houses, many still have the low sandstone walls that the railings fitted into.
    The two small bungalows at each gate were gate keepers cottages,occupied to let carraiges in.

Originally the houses didn't have numbers that were used for identification. There were plot numbers for each adjacent plot but the houses were identified by unique names . Later they became identified by a numbers, but unlike an ordinary street with odds on the left and evens on the right they run consecutive and correspond to the original plot numbers. No1 being on the left as you go through the gate opposite Wilsons lane,number two next door, three next to that and so on all the way around the outer edge to 46 I think at the other gate. The numbers then cross the road and go back around to the right side of the Wilsons lane gate. The numbering then goes back up to the road that crosses up in the middle (as these were built at a later date)
    Itconfuses the hell out of delivery and taxi drivers !!

As someone said the majority of houses were those of merchants and sea captains, several of the larger houses on the west side of the park and up on top of Hatton hill had flat rooves at the rear giving a fantastic view over Liverpool bay, and presumably used to get a view of ships arriving in the bay and signalling systems on the tip of the wirral.

The slave rings in the walls were a myth

The land was originally farm land belong ing to several farms, some belonging to the Lords Sefton estate,who agreed to sell to a group, a lot of them his friends, set up for the purpose of raising something along the lines of an housing association! Creating 77lots for the building of the houses. This was started around 1850s .The deed of covenant for ours i 1854 and was built during the early 1860s.
    thank you for your very informative blog. i am currently doing some work on 35 and 37 sefton rd and was told by the lady of 37 that this was the former home of the earl of sefton [the molyneux family ] i have tried to confirm this with no joy .i did find that he was part of the building of st philips church but other than that i can find no records. i would be grateful if any of you history buffs could point me in the right direction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12