YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Litherland Park

  1. #1
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Litherland Park

    I was walking in Litherland last week and saw some big pillars at the end of 2 streets I walked past, both had Litherland Park written on them, did there used to be a proper park there ? If there was, based on the size of the pillars it must have been a pretty big park


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    I was walking in Litherland last week and saw some big pillars at the end of 2 streets I walked past, both had Litherland Park written on them, did there used to be a proper park there ? If there was, based on the size of the pillars it must have been a pretty big park
    I don't think it was a park.
    Isn't it just the name of the road?

  3. #3
    Senior Member marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    38
    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Sorry but, are there any map about Liverpool districts online? I do not know the situation about somes distrits that urs speak in the forum and, i try find it, a map of the different areas, but i cannot find it. Thanks!!!

  4. #4
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I don't think it was a park.
    Isn't it just the name of the road?
    It possibly is. Its just with the pillars at the end, it looked like maybe it was something else before.

    map location is Litherland Park

  5. #5
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    It possibly is. Its just with the pillars at the end, it looked like maybe it was something else before.

    map location is Litherland Park
    Marie.
    Click on the link from scouse smurf.
    then click on "Maps" at the top.

    Scouse smurf.
    Litherland Park is shown as large houses on the old Ordnance Survey map.

  6. #6
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Marie.
    Click on the link from scouse smurf.
    then click on "Maps" at the top.

    Scouse smurf.
    Litherland Park is shown as large houses on the old Ordnance Survey map.
    Thanks for looking Phil

    I've just been looking on a website of old maps and it's marked as Litherland house. Map is dated 1850. The must have been a stately home or something similar there.

  7. #7
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Just found this photo of Litherland house.

    Litherland House

    I'll try and get a photo of the gates I saw someday

  8. #8
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    The reprints of the "Old Ordnance Survey Maps" include "Waterloo with Seaforth" 1925 (Lancashire Sheet 99.09). Available from the 4th floor of Central Library.
    It shows Litherland Park and says: "Litherland Park's five houses of 1854 had increased to 39 by 1888 and all these mansions were named rather than numbered."
    The first five houses were built before 1854.
    This 1925 map also shows that the Council Offices (the former Litherland House) was still standing, near the corner of Sefton Road and Field Lane.

    It's a part of Liverpool I've never seen, so I must have a look.
    I took photos of the former Regal cinema / Allinson's from time to time.
    That wasn't too far away.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 03-12-2007 at 12:31 PM.

  9. #9
    Newbie sconhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I think Litherland house is still there and is a social club now if i get a chance i will take a pic tomorrow

  10. #10
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sconhead View Post
    I think Litherland house is still there and is a social club now if i get a chance i will take a pic tomorrow
    Any chance you can get a photo of the pillars I was talking about too ?

  11. #11
    Newbie sconhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    will do if i get down there

  12. #12
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    I went there today.
    Litherland Park was built as an exclusive housing estate, like Fulwood Park and Cressington and Grassendale Parks.
    I walked round and the houses are very good.
    Quite a lot of newer ones as well, but they are all quite prosperous looking.
    Whether the land was part of the Litherland House estate I can't say, but Litherland House - which ended up as Council Offices - was demolished, with Litherland Town Hall being built on the site.

  13. #13
    Newbie sconhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    you are right about litherland house philip i just found this piccy

    http://litherland.mysite.wanadoo-mem...land_house.htm

    litherland park might have always had houses on

    http://litherland.mysite.wanadoo-mem...view_house.htm

    picture of the gates 1965

    http://www.litherland-digital.co.uk/...hypark1965.htm

    picture of the gates 1862

    http://www.litherland-digital.co.uk/..._gates1862.htm
    Last edited by sconhead; 03-12-2007 at 09:51 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Brenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Litherland
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    this pic is of the gates in Litherland Park, taken from The Litherland picture Post.
    Its Archive 1 picture 2
    I live just down the road from here.

    http://www.litherlandtown.co.uk/a_frameset.html
    Last edited by Brenda; 03-12-2007 at 09:20 PM.

  15. #15
    Smurf Member scouse smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bootle
    Age
    44
    Posts
    933
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm so impressed with ya all.

    Thanks for finding out all that. I'll have to find another challenge for ya's

  16. #16
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Thanks folks for those links and photos.
    There's an 1845 map there which shows the roads of Litherland Park in an "A" shape, with just a couple of houses already built.
    There's just one single story house I saw that seems to be really old.
    It's shown on the map.

  17. #17
    Newbie david369's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Litherland Park

    Hi i used to run the pub over the road from Litherland Park there used to be gates on the pillars i did have some photos somewhere the large older houses were owned by rich merchants connected to the docks , just past there was all open no houses mainly farms and the like , one of my customers told me that some houses were given to sea captains and thier families to live in for a small rent , and the pillars once had rings and chains on them , with which to chain slaves who were brought over from Africa on slave ships to work at the grander houses , i have seen two illustrations and one picture of this and the gates were shown on all three , what happened to the gates though is a mystery.

  18. #18
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david369 View Post
    Hi i used to run the pub over the road from Litherland Park there used to be gates on the pillars i did have some photos somewhere the large older houses were owned by rich merchants connected to the docks , just past there was all open no houses mainly farms and the like , one of my customers told me that some houses were given to sea captains and thier families to live in for a small rent , and the pillars once had rings and chains on them , with which to chain slaves who were brought over from Africa on slave ships to work at the grander houses , i have seen two illustrations and one picture of this and the gates were shown on all three , what happened to the gates though is a mystery.
    Hi dave,
    I think the slave thing is a myth! Very few slaves were actually brought to the city,and the one's who were,as servants,wouldn't have been chained up to a gatepost!! There are some good pic's of some of these old houses/estates on "Litherland picture post",along with various historical snippets!
    Steve.

  19. #19
    Newbie Plodding on's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hello
    Realise this is an old post and there were originally several replies to it.

    I live in Litherland Park in what has been the family home for nearly fifity years and can clarify some details

    Yes there were originally gates. They were taken away during one of the World wars along with the metal railings that fronted many (possibly all) of the houses, many still have the low sandstone walls that the railings fitted into.
    The two small bungalows at each gate were gate keepers cottages,occupied to let carraiges in.

    Originally the houses didn't have numbers that were used for identification. There were plot numbers for each adjacent plot but the houses were identified by unique names . Later they became identified by a numbers, but unlike an ordinary street with odds on the left and evens on the right they run consecutive and correspond to the original plot numbers. No1 being on the left as you go through the gate opposite Wilsons lane,number two next door, three next to that and so on all the way around the outer edge to 46 I think at the other gate. The numbers then cross the road and go back around to the right side of the Wilsons lane gate. The numbering then goes back up to the road that crosses up in the middle (as these were built at a later date)
    Itconfuses the hell out of delivery and taxi drivers !!

    As someone said the majority of houses were those of merchants and sea captains, several of the larger houses on the west side of the park and up on top of Hatton hill had flat rooves at the rear giving a fantastic view over Liverpool bay, and presumably used to get a view of ships arriving in the bay and signalling systems on the tip of the wirral.

    The slave rings in the walls were a myth

    The land was originally farm land belong ing to several farms, some belonging to the Lords Sefton estate,who agreed to sell to a group, a lot of them his friends, set up for the purpose of raising something along the lines of an housing association! Creating 77lots for the building of the houses. This was started around 1850s .The deed of covenant for ours i 1854 and was built during the early 1860s.
    Last edited by Plodding on; 07-19-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: addition

  20. #20

  21. #21
    Newbie ronnieallan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    litherland
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plodding on View Post
    Hello
    Realise this is an old post and there were originally several replies to it.

    I live in Litherland Park in what has been the family home for nearly fifity years and can clarify some details

    Yes there were originally gates. They were taken away during one of the World wars along with the metal railings that fronted many (possibly all) of the houses, many still have the low sandstone walls that the railings fitted into.
    The two small bungalows at each gate were gate keepers cottages,occupied to let carraiges in.

    Originally the houses didn't have numbers that were used for identification. There were plot numbers for each adjacent plot but the houses were identified by unique names . Later they became identified by a numbers, but unlike an ordinary street with odds on the left and evens on the right they run consecutive and correspond to the original plot numbers. No1 being on the left as you go through the gate opposite Wilsons lane,number two next door, three next to that and so on all the way around the outer edge to 46 I think at the other gate. The numbers then cross the road and go back around to the right side of the Wilsons lane gate. The numbering then goes back up to the road that crosses up in the middle (as these were built at a later date)
    Itconfuses the hell out of delivery and taxi drivers !!

    As someone said the majority of houses were those of merchants and sea captains, several of the larger houses on the west side of the park and up on top of Hatton hill had flat rooves at the rear giving a fantastic view over Liverpool bay, and presumably used to get a view of ships arriving in the bay and signalling systems on the tip of the wirral.

    The slave rings in the walls were a myth

    The land was originally farm land belong ing to several farms, some belonging to the Lords Sefton estate,who agreed to sell to a group, a lot of them his friends, set up for the purpose of raising something along the lines of an housing association! Creating 77lots for the building of the houses. This was started around 1850s .The deed of covenant for ours i 1854 and was built during the early 1860s.
    thank you for your very informative blog. i am currently doing some work on 35 and 37 sefton rd and was told by the lady of 37 that this was the former home of the earl of sefton [the molyneux family ] i have tried to confirm this with no joy .i did find that he was part of the building of st philips church but other than that i can find no records. i would be grateful if any of you history buffs could point me in the right direction

Similar Threads

  1. Litherland
    By geordiesaint in forum Liverpool Streets and Areas
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 09:32 AM
  2. Sefton Street, Litherland
    By NNR in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 10:14 PM
  3. Litherland
    By Ged in forum Liverpool North
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 12:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!