Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Childwall Graveyard Under Threat

Good stuff Bro Cad.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    I must say i'm not too bothered about the graves (am I being sacreligious?) but I am bothered about the impact this will have on the 'feel' of Childwall.

The Abbey and the Church is the last remaining vestage of a lost-village, I don't want to loose it.
    Yes the area around the Abbey and Church is a vestige, although I must say it is amazing that it still has a "rural" village feel there despite being in the middle of a major city. May it long remain so.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Site has had a redesign:

http://www.savechildwallchurch.info/

Blog Entries

Cad, if you can locate where those cannonballs were found or find any other evidence of anything interesting in Bloody Acre you'd have a good case for arguing the church bring in archeologists to check the site out.

It might allow you more time.

Already tried that one Fort. I am convinced (though no maps show) that there was a Monk's Bath in the area - next to a church/chapel - on a hillside - facing the sun. So went down to see the area - very boggy at the bottom of Bloody Acre and can only convince myself there is an underground bath/steam running through it. I noted it to the Council who put it in their report and didn't give it another thought.

Blog Entries

Boggy ground does not a bath make, Cad. I'm also unsure as to why you think there was an additional chapel there. Medieval religious institutions are generally one of the most recorded types of medieval history.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Boggy ground does not a bath make, Cad. I'm also unsure as to why you think there was an additional chapel there. Medieval religious institutions are generally one of the most recorded types of medieval history.
    Boggy ground at the lower part of the field when a, the top of the field is dry and b, the garden behind the boggy ground is dry does convince me that it is being fed water from somewhere. When I last went, there had been no rain for days yet it was wet under foot.

Regarding the additional chapel, I can't see where I've said that there would be one situated there at all? The only known recorded chapels are that of the 14th century chapel (now part of Childwall Church) and an additional chapel which the Childwall Abbey now stands on and uses part of the original chapel wall.

Blog Entries

I read it as if you thought there was a chapel next to the 'monks bath', but I guess you were talking about a building on the site of the present church?

Can't believe this, I was there in March this year, took some nice photo's of the church and surrounding area.

Lets hope the planners have seen Poltergiest and move not only the gravestones.

Hot off the press after a fun Planning Meeting this morning!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...sWidget-bottom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12