Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottie Road Area

Gnomie

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post

Tony..you can drop by next time you are down my way and pick one up if you want mate..

I will mate when i get back, get the kettle on

The site of the Hamlet which has been a heap of rubble for six months was finally getting landscaped today.

Wow,
    Fantastic pics Gerard

All our yesterdays !!!!!!!!!

Thankyou

Jacky

Gerard

Your welcome Jacky..Thanks girl.

I can recommend that disc too. Joe and Paula Byrne had the Denbigh when it was my local when I lived at 16 Grosvenor street (Gerard captured it in a pic earlier on the thread but those are NOT our nets) This was from 1989 to 1993 when we moved to Burlington Street. It was during this time that Bishop Goss school next door closed down and my kids were moved to Our Lady's, Eldon Street. The Byrnes built the extension and opened up the sweet shop next door to the pub around 1994 cos I remember thinking we'd have never been out of there if we still lived around the corner. I'd say the for sale sign went up on the Denbigh around 1998 when they were hoping to move to Formby but it was up for a good few years, probably about 6 years before it became the solicitors in 2004.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

There was some activity at the Crown Vaults pub today, looked like new floor getting fitted and some tiling done outside. Will be a postive thign for area if a traditional old pub like this re-opens.

OXFORD FILM AND TELEVISION

Oxford Films are currently producing a television documentary series about Liverpool, which will be shown on BBC 2 early next year. It will form the centrepiece of the BBC's recognition of Liverpool as European City of Culture.

It is written and presented by Alexei Sayle who will tell a sweeping cultural history of the city that ranges from its grand art and architecture to its legendary popular culture of music and football.

In the first programme, Alexei is very keen to meet a family who have lived in the Scottie Road area for several decades and can talk to him about how the community has changed over the years. He'd like to find out what specific problems the community faces but also what's good about living in Scottie Road and why they've never left.

Would you pass my contact details, on to whomever you think maybe interested. I'd like to have a chat with them on the phone and if all went well, arrange to meet up to talk further.

Matthew Hill
    Assistant Producer
    Oxford Film & Television
    6, Erskine Road
    London NW 3 3AJ
    Telephone 0207 483 3637
    Mobile 07870 167 444

Gerard. Tried to PM regarding the above but it's coming back that 'Gerard has exceeded his mailbox limit'

Being a Scottie Road stalwart, are you interested in the above, if so, let me know and i'll get in touch with the chap who enquired about it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    OXFORD FILM AND TELEVISION

Oxford Films are currently producing a television documentary series about Liverpool, which will be shown on BBC 2 early next year. It will form the centrepiece of the BBC's recognition of Liverpool as European City of Culture.

It is written and presented by Alexei Sayle who will tell a sweeping cultural history of the city that ranges from its grand art and architecture to its legendary popular culture of music and football.

In the first programme, Alexei is very keen to meet a family who have lived in the Scottie Road area for several decades and can talk to him about how the community has changed over the years. He'd like to find out what specific problems the community faces but also what's good about living in Scottie Road and why they've never left.

Would you pass my contact details, on to whomever you think maybe interested. I'd like to have a chat with them on the phone and if all went well, arrange to meet up to talk further.

Matthew Hill
    Assistant Producer
    Oxford Film & Television
    6, Erskine Road
    London NW 3 3AJ
    Telephone 0207 483 3637
    Mobile 07870 167 444

Maybe it will great viewing. Let's wait and see. But my heart sank when I saw the name Alexi Sayle. He is so Liverpool a quarter of a century ago. By his own admission he no longer knows the city even though he makes his living as a professional scouser and occasional novelist.

Why couldn't the BBC have commissioned someone living in the city now to do such a programme? If they want to do a programme about Scottie Road there are plenty of people (at least three members of this forum) with real knowledge who could front such a programme.

If the story is about the a member of the disaspora returning (for a few hours shooting) to see how much the city has changed. I would watch it. I'm sure it would be interesting.

But if this is the centrepiece of the BBC's coverage of 2008 then I'm not happy. Someone like Phil Redmond knows more about the city than 10 Alexi Sayles and has invested his own money in developing its potential rather than milking its sterotypes.

Alexi Sayle. Jesus wept.

PhilipG

I suppose they chose Alexei Sayle because he's reasonably well-known, and probably reasonably cheap.
    I agree, Jericho, that he does represent an "alternate" view of Liverpool that is about as relevant today as "Bread" is.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Gerard. Tried to PM regarding the above but it's coming back that 'Gerard has exceeded his mailbox limit'

Being a Scottie Road stalwart, are you interested in the above, if so, let me know and i'll get in touch with the chap who enquired about it to me.

Mornin' Ged Lad..sorry about the PM thingy and have now deleted PM's,got yer text ..Thanks

I dont think I'd be the right choice for that mate,I could only tell them about my Dad being born in the area and working in Silcocks and getting a Gold Rolex when he retired..and losing it on St Anne At when he was a little worse for wear and a few tales about his Dad and what he got up to and me Mam coming from Gerard St and Gerard Gardens/Ponnie tales etc and maybe my going to Holy Cross and St Joeys..
    I really could'nt tell them much more about the hardships in the early part of the Century and the Slum dwellings etc as I dont really know that much about it to be honest.
    I know a little bit Ged but not enough mate to go on the telly and give the story of Scottie Rd..
    Im flattered mate you thought of me when you got that message..Thanks Ged..G.
    Last edited by Gerard; 06-12-2007 at 10:52 AM.

No probs mate. A pity Peggy isn't still with us eh, I bet she could have told him a few stories. I also thought of Tommy O'Keefe and Mr Ryan but I know from Paul that he couldn't even get them to talk on Gardens of Stone but turn the mic off and they'll talk for England.

chippie

Default A true representation of our city, my a***

Watcha me heartys,

I don,t think Mr Sayle is even remotely in the top one hundred of presenters to do a job like that. He once said that Liverpool didn,t know the meaning of culture or something equally disparaging. Looks like he,s been chosen to take the shine off our success. It,s like asking the devil to show off heaven.

As for Phil Redmond doing it either, he doesn,t live in the city.

Now if you asked a proper Scouser like maybe Ricky Thomlinson, massive fee or not, he would be worth it.

And maybe an older one who would know something of those hardships that Gerard previously mentioned.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast