Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Scottie Road Area

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_2 View Post
    Thanks for thoes pictures Dazza. The Mould st area brings back many memories to me. On one corner of Mould and Scotland Rd was a clock makers shop owend by a Mr Nash and the shop nextdoor was a sweet and tobacconists Harrison's owned by my Aunt Nelly, I spent many happy hours there when i was a kid selling many a half ounce Gallaghers fine irish snuff to the Mary Ellens, delivering papers around the area, and taking trays of tea and biscuts over the road to the boxoffice in the Rotunder. On the other corner of Moult St and Scotty lived a family called Lundon I remember us all sheltering in there cellar during the May Blitz on the night the Rotunder got bombed, a lot of the people from the area that had been bombed out had there furnature stored in the Rotunder, and when it was hit by incendiary bombs it went up like a tinderbox. At the back of the Rotunder was a funeral directors, I just cant remember there name but there where horses stabled in there and they all burnt to death, the noise from them was horrific. Maybe Spike can use some of this info on his WW2 site.
    Hi Gerry,

I'm glad you like the images, it was my pleasure putting them together and posting. And thank you so much for sharing all your amazing memories. I'd love to hear some more? I can't imagine what must it have been like living through that nightmare - shells falling all around, day after day. And then having to deal with the chaos that followed afterwards?

The Rotunda - I've only ever seen one very grainy photo of the Rotunda. It's disappointing that not more were taken before it was hit? I've managed to find some very poor quality B&W images from around the Rotunda area. Apologies for the quality.

All images are courtesy from the LRO.

Image 1 ^ Kirkdale Road side of the Rotunda [1 of 3]

Image 2 ^ Kirkdale Road side of the Rotunda [2 of 3]

Image 3 ^ Kirkdale Road side of the Rotunda [3 of 3]

Image 4 ^ Stanley Road side of the Rotunda [1 of 2]

Image 5 ^ Stanley Road side of the Rotunda [2 of 2]

Image 6 ^ Around the Rotunda area?

Thanks for the photos Dazza its a pitty they did'nt have the present day photography techniques then as they do today.

Hi Dazza,
    here's a pic' of the "Rotunda",which is a bit clearer!

(courtesy of L.R.O.)

Blog Entries

Default Rotunda

Thanks wsteve55, that more like it.

I know it's been mentioned before but plenty of Scottie images on www.scottiepress.org

Loads of Scottie pics on the pre war and post war pics on my site below too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    You're probably right there Ged. I remember me Nan, she never wasted owt. Recycling, she done it all. She even unwound the wool from old jumpers and used it again. We were probably wearing jumpers from 1794.

She must have been a good age then Pablo, your gran?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    She must have been a good age then Pablo, your gran?
    She died aged 99. Her mum was the same age, and couldn't speak english. That's why I laugh at the talk of immigrants.

Blog Entries

tht u bri /john

Blog Entries

gilfoyle

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I know it's been mentioned before but plenty of Scottie images on www.scottiepress.org

Loads of Scottie pics on the pre war and post war pics on my site below too.
    So lets just mention that again

Where Have All The Voters Gone ?

A Political History of Scotland Road

** New Project!**

Here at Scottie Press Online we are embarking upon a new research project. The project will be based upon the colourful political history of the Scotland Road area, and will address the question as to why voter apathy seems to grip this area especially hard in contemporary times.

We will start by researching three political heavyweights of the area T.P O'Connor , the only Irish Nationalist MP to sit in a constituency outside Ireland ( Liverpool Scotland 1885 - 1929 ) Locally born Davie Logan who succeeded O'Connor and sat till 1964. Bessie Braddock Liverpool Exchange 1945 - 69 . We are also interested in the un-written history of the area's political struggle.

Therefore we are asking for help from our readers to create this unique piece of social history. Everything and anything is welcomed, pictures, personal recollections, family anecdotes. These will help us to create an understanding of the past political forces that have led us to the present day.

Voting apathy seems to be gripping this area especially hard. In the last election for the European Parliament the number of people who voted in this area was around 10%. In the 2001 General Election Riverside turned in a low 34.1% (although again this area was much lower ). Why is this happening, can it be explained? In an attempt to address this problem we will look back to the past. Was it any different, and can we use anything we may learn in an effort to interest people, especially the young in politics at both a local and a national level?

Please keep referring to the projects tab to view our research as it happens!

To share your information email

cat.tully@scottiepress.org
    crogan@scottiepress.org
    sarahjo.kennedy@scottiepress.org
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678