Thread: Capaldi's Cafe, Smithdown Road around 1940's!

Default Capaldi's Cafe, Smithdown Road around 1940's!

Hello,
    Please can someone help me find out if the owner of Capaldi's Cafe on Smithdown Rd, (Alexander (alex) Capaldi) had married and what family he had around?
    I am his great nephew and am at a loose end on my Family History.
    Thanks.

I always thought Capaldi's Cafe was in Kensington? Was there another in Smithdown? Some of our history buffs will let you know I'm sure.

Yeh, there was one in kensington owned by an Antonio and his Sons, Armando and Ernesto!
    Just need to find info on the one in smithdown please?

There's a photograph of Capaldi's Cafe on Kensington here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/radarsmum67/3552545196/
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

There was one on Park Road as well

On park road? Capaldi's Cafe? Do you know who that was owned by?

Hello, just wanted to add;
    In 1965 G Capaldi ran the Milk Bar in Smithdown rd.
    I dont know who G Capaldi is, but would like to find out please?

I used to use the Capaldi coffee bar on Smithdown road in the late 50's and early 60's. It was a great place to hang out for the price of a cup of espresso. It was a very smart place then, done in the American style with private booths and a great jukebox. I'm sure the owners name was Tony, but I may be wrong, He ran the place with his very large wife and two daughter's one of whom was very beautiful. I think they had a younger son and an older lad also. they were great people and always made us kids welcome. I lived around the corner in Garmoyle road and did a fair bit of courting at Capaldis. On the other side of Smithdown road there was a newsagents, by the name of Barkers and I had a paper round there, visiting houses all around Greenbank park area.

Excellent stuff! Thanks Fat Scouse! This is the most i have heard about the shop. I have not long found out my ggreat Uncle Alessandro ran the shop, with his wife Fiorinda Colacicco. His son G. Capaldi then took over around the mid 50's. There Children were:

Levira, Doris, Ernesto, Alessandro, Alberto (who died before 1) and Benito. I have a feeling 'G. Capaldi' is his son Alessandro. as he shared the same first name it was common to use the middle names! His middle name was probably Giuseppe, after his Gramps.

Your write up will be going in my book on the Family! Do you have any Photo's??

Jamie

Sorry Jamie, missed this-( haven't looked in for a while) No photos of Capaldi's on Smithdown Rd, unfortunately- I would like to see some also! It was a good place to meet up with girls or your pals.They had American style booths to sit in and the jukebox was always on and up to date. I seem to recall the ice cream was the best too! I recall playing Marty Robbins Devil Woman and Bobby Vee The Night Has A Thousand Eyes- they must have stuck in my head as I can still sing those hits today! All before the Beatles took off. Frankie Vaughn was big in Liverpool then and he had a hit with Tower Of Strength. And of course there was always Buddy Holly on. Brenda Lee got lots of plays as well.