Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Anfield District

They wouldn't do this if it was a more 'affluent' part of the city

I wonder if they'd demolish any of Wooton villages old houses !! ??

these sandstone houses are a part of Anfield and I can't understand why they have done this. The buildings are not structually unsound and they could be renovated accordingly.

Well, it's too late now. They are going to build some modern 'apartments' -- FLATS they mean !

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    They wouldn't do this if it was a more 'affluent' part of the city

I wonder if they'd demolish any of Wooton villages old houses !! ??

these sandstone houses are a part of Anfield and I can't understand why they have done this. The buildings are not structually unsound and they could be renovated accordingly.

Well, it's too late now. They are going to build some modern 'apartments' -- FLATS they mean !

Disgusting!!! It makes me heartsick whenever something like this happens.

Lindy, thanks also for saying you would have taken a pic of my old house on Anfield Road prior to it being demolished if you'd have known I had lived there. I appreciate that. I am not certain of the address but it was on Anfield Road opposite LFC's Anfield Road stand (of course) but closer (I think) to the Main stand than the Kemlyn Road stand though I might be wrong.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I was told that there was originally a bigger row of these sandstone houses - (probably where the Co-Op funeral place is now).

Opposite is Holy Trinity church, Breck rd. the church is built in the same red brick.
    I am told that anything pre 1840 is automatically listed Grade 2, so I don't know why these houses have been ignored.
    The one remaining block is still in it's original state, but the other one could have been renovated by having all that horrible white plaster removed and for the sandstone to be restored.

PhilipG

I was told that there was originally a bigger row of these sandstone houses - (probably where the Co-Op funeral place is now).

Opposite is Holy Trinity church, Breck rd. the church is built in the same red brick.
    I am told that anything pre 1840 is automatically listed Grade 2, so I don't know why these houses have been ignored.
    The one remaining block is still in it's original state, but the other one could have been renovated by having all that horrible white plaster removed and for the sandstone to be restored.
    English Heritage can only List buildings if they know they exist.

BTW.
    I'm going to the Town Hall on Tuesday to object to the proposed demolition of the former Bedford Cinema in Walton.
    Wish me luck.

chippie

Default too bad

I,m sorry that they have gone too. I hope who sanction them to be demolished has four boils up his bum for three years. That should sort him, or her, out.

I lived opposite to those, or that building and will miss them next time I go up there, which should be very soon, if I can find my walking stick that is.

Sorry Lindy, I commiserate with you, does this create a new brickfields? (private joke)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

BTW.
    I'm going to the Town Hall on Tuesday to object to the proposed demolition of the former Bedford Cinema in Walton.
    Wish me luck.
    Philip, I do wish you luck regarding Bedford rd.
    There was a letter about the cinema in the paper this week - might have been in the Echo or the free paper, I can't remember where I read it, the person mentioned that there is a dome still intact, and they reckon that the building could be restored to some of it's former glory.
    I do hope this happens.

What is so sad about the Breck rd sandstone houses, is that they will be replaced by some cheap flats.

I saw a similar thing happen down Townsend lane; an old building which was formerly a little school or chapel ( I'm not exactly sure which it was, but I know that it existed late 1800's or very early 1900's) - they demolished it and have built horrible flats which were advertised as 'apartments' ( which makes me smile!) - the flats were built very recently, approx 2 years ago, if that.
    They were victim of anti-social behaviour and vandalism, they are now an eyesore already - - I will take a photo next time I am passing.

To think that they took away that old building, which was a little local landmark - to put rubbish in it's place.
    Well, I can see the same thing happening by the Cabbage Hall.

What is so sad about the Breck rd sandstone houses, is that they will be replaced by some cheap flats.

I saw a similar thing happen down Townsend lane; an old building which was formerly a little school or chapel ( I'm not exactly sure which it was, but I know that it existed late 1800's or very early 1900's) - they demolished it and have built horrible flats which were advertised as 'apartments' ( which makes me smile!) - the flats were built very recently, approx 2 years ago, if that.
    They were victim of anti-social behaviour and vandalism, they are now an eyesore already - - I will take a photo next time I am passing.

To think that they took away that old building, which was a little local landmark - to put rubbish in it's place.
    Well, I can see the same thing happening by the Cabbage Hall.

tatty flats replaced the old schoolhouse. One of the flats was smashed up not so long ago. The door kicked in and the windows broken with the blinds flapping out in the wind

Needs his ballcock fixing.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post

BTW.
    Wish me luck.
    Go for it, Philip, hope you get some results.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

chippie

That photee Lindy of the flats, they want more that their ballcocks seen too. I,d rather have had the little chapel with the woodworker in it anyday, saints preserve us. (as they say in Scottie)

chippie

More power to your elbow Philip. If all else fails, nudge them.

Blog Entries

tatty flats replaced the old schoolhouse. One of the flats was smashed up not so long ago. The door kicked in and the windows broken with the blinds flapping out in the wind
    There is no need for these overflows and they should be removed. From Jan 2001, overflows can be integrated into the toilets, which means it overflows down the toilet. A new siphon, costing £12 is all that is needed.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Default High winds

No, not a Heinz advert...

According to Radio Merseyside news, bricks have fallen from a building on Lower Breck Road.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Who has been round Arkles Lane recently??? What have the council done to a road that used to be quite attractive??? I was along there this evening and can I just say, it hasn't been improved one iota.

It wasn't broke...so who decided to try and fix it?
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    I love the Albert. Remember going in there one match day with my Ma and daring to ask for a red wine, the response was to the point "Wine? We don't sell wine" double brandy was what she got
    Incidentally, my Ma was the Arkles barmaid for quite a while during the 60's and has told me how they used to have to turn off the Guinness on a match day because it took too long to pour!
    Jack Allison would of been manager in the 60's in the Arkles , my family may know your Mum if she was a barmaid then.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast