Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T Brown and Pryors - Two London Road Jewellers Shops

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I'll get you a close up Phil in the next few days mate of the Deli..

Anybody remember what this Deli used to be Years ago and who owned it !!

Clue !!...A Famous Liverpool Footballers Dad had it..Another Clue..The Footballers Mam was my Mams Cousin !!

Thanks in advance, Gerard.

I cheated!
    I've got a 1936 Directory, and it was Noblett's Wholesale Confectioners then.
    Was that the same firm as Everton Toffee?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I've got a 1936 Directory, and it was Noblett's Wholesale Confectioners then.Was that the same firm as Everton Toffee?
    Yes it was, Mrs Noblett had a toffee shop at the top of Everton Brow. The "Toffee Lady" who distributes Everton Mints on match days at Goodison Park is a depiction of 'Mother Noblett'.
    Help find Madeleine

Gerard

No..yer both wrong...I'm not going back that far !!!

Just for you Chris..Pryors London Rd.

Great pics, Gerard! The photographs bring back a lot of memories.

ScouserDave, I never remember seeing shrunken heads in Pryors window, although they did have everything else!!! There were shrunken heads though in the museum at Sudley, as well as a stuffed Emperor penguin and other interesting things.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

No..yer both wrong...I'm not going back that far !!!
    It was Sammy Lee's dad who ran the deli, he does look so much like his dad I thought he was working there

What happened to them exposing that original advert on the facade of the Deli. Remember an article years ago in the Echo saying that conservators from the museum where helping the owners. You'd think someone like English Heritage or the lottery would provide money for something like this. How many 100 yr old painted shop fronts can there be in the country?
    Very sad about Brown's! Hope the clock stays whatever!

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by billo View Post
    It was Sammy Lee's dad who ran the deli, he does look so much like his dad I thought he was working there

Spot on

But yer only get half a Chocolate Frog...
    It wasn't a Deli..What was it for the other Half..

Default Sewills, Cornhill

Hello I have just read your thread with great interest. It is a shame about Brown's closing but I might have some good news for you. I noticed the mention of Sewills in one of the posts..............

I live in Liverpool and owned two Sewills watches, unfortunately they closed as you already know. However, I came across www.sewills.com, the person who owns it had a close relationship with Sewills and is still supplying the same watches Sewills did. I lost one of my Sewills watches and bought the same model from www.sewills.com, it is exactly the same as the one I lost. It is made by the same company who supplied Sewills. The other good thing is that they are still based in Liverpool.

Anyway I hope this is of interest, especially to the person who always wanted to own a Sewills watch.

regards,

Billy

A L.R.O. pic of Pryors, Noblett's and Colliers to boot and you even have ChrisTgeorge's car outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315.jpeg 
Views:	382 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	1662  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    A L.R.O. pic of Pryors, Noblett's and Colliers to boot and you even have ChrisTgeorge's car outside.
    Hi Ged

I don't know about it being my car but the motor cars in the pic look like some of the jallopies my Uncle Bruce still had in the Sixties, one of them a Ford Prefect and another a Bentley that had belonged to comedian Rob Wilton. In fact that could be my uncle and us coming down London Road after a reserves match at Anfield, all full of half time Eccles cakes and tea laced with Scotch!!!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Can you see the 3 brass balls hanging up (or is it down) outside Pryor's. Do you remember the payment system in Colliers where they'd put your money in a tube and send it up those pipes to the admin offices above. I think they were hoping you'd get bored and say keep the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Can you see the 3 brass balls hanging up (or is it down) outside Pryor's. Do you remember the payment system in Colliers where they'd put your money in a tube and send it up those pipes to the admin offices above. I think they were hoping you'd get bored and say keep the change.
    Hi Ged

I don't believe I was ever in Colliers but at the Co-op on Booker Avenue they had such a system of communication with a system of pulleys and wires where they put the money or a note or whatever in a wooden screw-top receptacle to send it from one side of the shop to the other. You probably remember seeing the same sort of thing.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Yes, I remember being in there one sat getting some school clobber with my mam and dad and the Derby game was on the wireless behind the counter which had varnished wood drawers, a great big chest of them with socks in and all that. Then the bad news, Alan Waddle scored and it remained one nil.

I remember them then getting a glass cabinet out of Hardy's on the corner of London road and a side street, it was on the never never and my mam had to go up there every week to the office above the showroom to pay it off.

scouserdave

Ta Dave..Midgets on the Stadium !! have you banged yer Ead again !!
    LOL! Probably imagined it Gerard. Some heavy duty acid around when I was in me teens mate!

scouserdave

Ged, Alan Waddle? Jeez, he had to be the worst player ever to wear a Liverpool shirt. He was also involved in one of the most boring games ever. It was a 0-0 at Maine Road in the early 70s. Almost lost the will to live watching that game.

Back to the pulleys and wires - Chris, I can remember Costigans on West Derby Rd, near to the Olympia pub having that set up. And the bacon slicer! Fascinated by them both. I used to love doing the "messages" for me Mam if it meant a trip to Costigans.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast