Thread: 2011 Census

Blog Entries

Default 2011 Census

next years census will be the last
    the government is to scrap the census after more than 200 years

the census has been carried out every 10 years since 1801 with the exception of 1941 & is an invaluable resource for family historians

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...200-years.html
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Everyone should write down all their family members now ready to hand down to future generations...I have found loads of information from all the previous census returns....its a shame but I can see the point of scrapping it

Blog Entries

The "£482million" anticipated cost of compiling it next year maybe the reason?

Possibly a live database is the answer? This would be constantly updated with new information. The privacy laws would still operate with only certain levels of government having access for policy making. Future generations would have access [as we do with the census now] once the information is safe to release?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Why can't they just do it online and ppl have to register. The database would collate everything automatically then

It makes sense to scrap it - more's the pity. It seems to me that a good proportion of future generations won't have a clue who their fathers are anyway... and it'll be no good looking on their birth certificates either....
    Add to that the number of illegals who wont be filling them in and scrapping them makes perfect sense - not to mention the £millions it'll save. Genealogy will be a dying pastime in more sense than one.
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

They should scrap elections too coz they're a waste of time and money. Just play paper scissors stone between the 3 parties

I had a go at doing the census,some years ago,and going on the "failure" rate,for incorrect/incomplete returns,in some area's,at least,I can't say it would be that accurate,anyway!

I can understand the reasons for scrapping it, but hope that something will be devised to take it's place! such as:- a Residential 'Yellow pages' showing addresses, residents, etc that would be compiled annually and available for sale to those willing to puchase!

Blog Entries

the 2001 census there was an internet campaign for everyone to put there religion as Jedi .....In England and Wales 390,127 people (almost 0.8%) stated their religion as Jedi on their 2001 Census forms, surpassing Sikhism, Judaism, and Buddhism, and making it the fourth largest reported religion in the country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Blog Entries

"Jedi Knight" hahaha....Imagine your gt gt grandkids in 2101 doing a bit of family history research.
    "Hey, it says granddad was a "Jedi" and that "the force was with him""
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

I must admit I have trouble remebering all of my relatives so I had made a decision to write as much down as I could remember and leave it with my will for the kids to find. When you are younger it doesent seem to matter much - but when you get older these things do matter. We have just done something for my husbands side of the family - interviewed on video his 2 remaining aunties. Gosh what you learn from just letting them talk- it was fantastic