Thread: Refreshments. Old Liverpool style.

Blog Entries

Smile Refreshments. Old Liverpool style.

Back in the 50`s I seem to remember a busmans tearoom, not a kiosk or a `mobile`, but an actual tearoom somewhere around the old pierhead. I can`t remember exactly where but I think it was over towards the Mann Island end. You didn`t have to be a busman, they served scalding hot mugs of tea and bacon `sarnies` cheap to absolutely anyone who cared to call in. I don`t think the place had any windows or frontage as such, I just remember a plain green doorway in a brick wall. It was `dog rough` inside but you certainly got value for money in your refreshments. Does any one remember this worthy establishment, and its exact location ?
    Also, another one on the same theme. In my Army days [again the early 50`s] I dimly remember that one could get refreshments outside the front of Limestreet Station throughout the night. There was quite an open space outside the station in those days, like a sort of `square` and I THINK that this area was still cobbled then.
    In the middle of this space right opposite the station entrance was a refreshment `bar`, `stand` or whatever ?
    It used to remain open all night. Coming home on leave I would often arrive at Lime Street Station in the early hours of the morning to find everything shut down, and the only offer of refreshment was at this `place` outside.
    I remember a few times standing out there in the rain with a mug of tea and a sarnie. Though I cannot remember whether it was a permanent `stand` or a `mobile` or what ? Could someone maybe enlighten me on this one also ? AND, was the area still cobbled then ?

Regards,
    Ken.

Hi Ken and welcome, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people on here that remembers what you do ( cue Ged ) and will probably have pics too
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Yes ! I certainly remember the Kiosk, situated just a little bit further north of the walkways that led down to the floating landing stage, an, (I think) part of the busmans shelter.

Blog Entries

I know I raised this one a few weeks back, but replies are few so I`m giving it a little `stir`. I did think there might still be a few old busmen around with memories of this, but perhaps I`m just `whistling in the wind`?

Ken.