YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walton Gaol

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Walton Gaol

Walton Gaol 1974Walton Gaol 1930If a gaol was to be built on your street, you would probably care little for the architecture – you would just want to move to another place. Prisons stir up deep emotions and it is unlikely that one would be built in the heart of a residential community. Nevertheless, there [...]

ADVERTISING

More...

Thanks

great pics them Colin.
    What was there befor ethe prison ?
    probably just farm land !
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Thanks

Good pic's Colin! Seeing that you are in "Prison" mode,I just wondered if you have ever come across any pic's,or info' on Liverpool city prison,which was in Great Howard st? This preceded Walton prison,and apparently,was the first purpose built prison,in the world?? It was demolished to make way for rail goods depot/sidings,and was of a radial style construction.There is a Herdman print of the prison,that I've seen,but wether it's demise was before the advent of photography,I dont know!

Thanks

Nice to see google are above the law.... Walton Prison

Thanks

And a lot of other photographers Smurfy. Such piffle. I've got pics of it on my site, the LRO have pics - who doesn't if they really want one. Like that time it was said you couldn't photograph in Lime st station yet there's loads of people getting the Ken Dodd/Bessie Braddock statue and like those who said no photographing in the Walker or Museum - the guards move out of the way for me - .
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Copyright law is a complex area but legally if a statue is in a public place (i.e. in the street) it is not subject to copyright (it is in the public realm - like a building). However, if it is on private land (i.e Lime Street Station/Walker Art Gallery), copyright does apply and it is a matter for the landowner and the artist as to whether they wish to control access to photographers. In most cases, this is not pursued - but I was caught out at the International Garden Festival in 1984 when I published postcards of all the attractions, including the sculptures. I received two solicitors' letters demanding compensation because artists they represent had their work in view in two postcards. It was settled amicably but the point was that the Garden Festival was not a public place and there was no automatic freedom to publish views without agreement from all parties.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast