Thread: Anatomy Museum

MissInformed

Default Anatomy Museum

I was reading in a Whittington Egan book about the old anatomy museum on 29 Paradise Street.

Does anyone have any pics/ info?

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I was reading in a Whittington Egan book about the old anatomy museum on 29 Paradise Street.

Does anyone have any pics/ info?
    You want pictures of our anatomy? That's going too far....

I heard it was in the heart of the city centre, near to where Liver street is now. I personally wouldn't be able to stomach exhibits like that but as you've probably guessed i'm only ribbing you

MissInformed

yawn yawn yawn! ged!

It was in Paradise Street, and apparently Louis Tussuad bought some of exhibits for his waxworks in Blackpool

I think this is one for PhilipG!

yawn yawn yawn! ged!

apparently Louis Tussuad bought some

What do you mean madam?

PhilipG

yawn yawn yawn! ged!

It was in Paradise Street, and apparently Louis Tussuad bought some of exhibits for his waxworks in Blackpool

I think this is one for PhilipG!
    I hadn't heard of it, but I've checked and it was just past School Lane.
    It's shown as "Museum" on the 1906 OS map - a small building.
    It's still listed in the 1936 street directory.

I'm guessing that it was for medical students - there was a Medical Museum in Dover Street, behind the University (opposite the back of the Infirmary).

Hi MissInformed

Here are a few bits of information:

"Due to the large number of seafarers who visited the port of Liverpool it developed areas nicknamed ‘Sailortowns’ or ‘Fiddler’s Greens’. Here large numbers of sailor pubs and boarding-houses could be found. One reason why so many pubs were needed was that fires and candles were banned on board ships in the docks so sailors needed somewhere to eat. Paradise Street was at the heart of 'Sailortown' in Liverpool’s south-end whilst Union Street was its north-end equivalent. 'Sailortowns' were also home to places of entertainment such as music halls and waxwork museums where many seafarers spent their spare time." [emphasis mine]

From "Liverpool sailor pubs and other leisure activities" in the E. Chambré Hardman Archive

Of course such displays of grotesque objects and freak shows were a regular phenomenon in the nineteenth century. During the time of the Jack the Ripper murders of 1888, there was actually an entrepreneur who set up shop in Whitechapel Road opposite the London Hospital showing waxworks of the victims. And the Elephant Man, the grotesquely deformed man who has been the subject of a stage play and movie starring John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins, was himself exhibited also in a store opposite the hospital before he was rescued in 1884 by Sir Frederick Treves and allowed to live out the rest of his years in comfort in a basement room at the hospital.

All my best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi MissInformed

Here are a few bits of information:

"Due to the large number of seafarers who visited the port of Liverpool it developed areas nicknamed ‘Sailortowns’ or ‘Fiddler’s Greens’. Here large numbers of sailor pubs and boarding-houses could be found. One reason why so many pubs were needed was that fires and candles were banned on board ships in the docks so sailors needed somewhere to eat. Paradise Street was at the heart of 'Sailortown' in Liverpool’s south-end whilst Union Street was its north-end equivalent. 'Sailortowns' were also home to places of entertainment such as music halls and waxwork museums where many seafarers spent their spare time." [emphasis mine]

From "Liverpool sailor pubs and other leisure activities" in the E. Chambré Hardman Archive

Of course such displays of grotesque objects and freak shows were a regular phenomenon in the nineteenth century. During the time of the Jack the Ripper murders of 1888, there was actually an entrepreneur who set up shop in Whitechapel Road opposite the London Hospital showing waxworks of the victims. And the Elephant Man, the grotesquely deformed man who has been the subject of a stage play and movie starring John Hurt and Anthony Hopkins, was himself exhibited also in a store opposite the hospital before he was rescued in 1884 by Sir Frederick Treves and allowed to live out the rest of his years in comfort in a basement room at the hospital.

All my best

Chris

Chris

There was Reynolds Waxworks in Lime Street (see my piece in "Some Liverpool Cinemas") and they also exhibited freaks.
    The Tivoli in Lime Street (the site of the Palais de Luxe) was a waxworks even before Reynolds, and later (1890s?) it is known that "The Elephant Man" appeared there.

The Museum of Anatomy in Paradise Street was only a few doors away from the Queen's Theatre, later Kelly's Theatre, but it wasn't anything like a music hall or theatre, because I've seen the Licensing Records for such places and it doesn't appear.

It sounds like it was a serious sort of place - as I said, probably for medical students.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    There was Reynolds Waxworks in Lime Street (see my piece in "Some Liverpool Cinemas") and they also exhibited freaks.
    The Tivoli in Lime Street (the site of the Palais de Luxe) was a waxworks even before Reynolds, and later (1890s?) it is known that "The Elephant Man" appeared there.

The Museum of Anatomy in Paradise Street was only a few doors away from the Queen's Theatre, later Kelly's Theatre, but it wasn't anything like a music hall or theatre, because I've seen the Licensing Records for such places and it doesn't appear.

It sounds like it was a serious sort of place - as I said, probably for medical students.

Yes okay, Philip, you might be right. In regard to Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man, as I say, he was saved from the sideshow circuit in 1884 and lived from then on at the London Hospital. He died there in his sleep in April 11, 1890. If he was exhibited in Liverpool it must have been possibly in the early 1880's.

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Yes okay, Philip, you might be right. In regard to Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man, as I say, he was saved from the sideshow circuit in 1884 and lived from then on at the London Hospital. He died there in his sleep in April 11, 1890. If he was exhibited in Liverpool it must have been possibly in the early 1880's.

Chris
    He was definitely at the Tivoli - there's a photo of the building with a poster with "Elephant Man" on it.
    I was just guessing at the date.

Correction:
    He was at the Museum Palace, next door to the Tivoli.
    Here's the photo (from "Liverpool: Old and New").
    It says "Half-Man, Half-Elephant"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eman.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	1580  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-22-2007 at 04:48 PM.

MissInformed

thanks so much guys

Whittington Egan says it was at 29 Paradise Street.
    I think it closed in the 30's.

It was a waxwork museum of anatomy.

Whittington Egan says after the exhibits were shown at Blackpool they may have been taken to Morcambe to a waxworks in the 50's.
    Apparently Peter Sutcliffe(Yorkshire Ripper) visited the museum!