Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 500 limited stop

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Kids Bus Pass....Wow what a memory you have.
    I can remember lots from years ago.... Country Style Choc Bars, Skippy Bars, Parachutes in Lucky Bags and especially 6ft tall Ducks
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

500 and 544 didn`t cost any more,but it was minimum fare ,so you wouldn`t get on for 1 stop
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

If Iam not mistaken there was a 501 limited stop from Kirkby to Lime Street also.

I remember making my way to school from Croxteth and getting the 414 instead of the 14. It sailed past my intended stop at Queens Drive and I had to get off in town. I stayed in town as it wasn't worth getting bo!!ocked going in to school late.

Blog Entries

I was aregular user of the 500 in the 60's,we lived in Kirkby and my sister lived in Garston;it was the ideal way to travel.
    One Saturday night ,my young sister,my girlfriend and I ,were on the last bus of the day heading for Kirkby. My bladder was full of Bent's finest bitter and it was be coming apparent that i would not make the whole journey. I had enough cash to pay for taxi home from Lime Street,but it would leave me short for the rest of the week. I told the girls of my dilemma and got ot off as soon as it came to Lime Street.I shot across the road and made it just in time. I strolled back to colllect the girls and I saw,to my amazement, that the bus was still at the stop.As I walked out of the entrance several people on board shouted out the windows "Come on Brian,the dirivers waiting for you"
    My kid ister had told the driver of my call of nature and he had kindly waited. It was smiles and laughter all round as I reboarded the bus.
    Only in Liverpool!!!!
    BrianD

Great tale Brian have another pint !
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Quote Originally Posted by barizla 66 View Post
    Been 'debating' with our kid,was there a bus route from Kirkby via Fazakerley ,Walton through to Speke in the 70's, a kind of express where you paid more to get to your destination by leaving stops out??
    Yes it was Brill
    specaily on match days
    I lived in Speke and it took you right to County road
    craker bus the 500

I certainly remember the 500 series buses - esp. the 500 down Aigburth Rd., but not the 400 series - as as mentioned earlier they always seem to be speeding. We did not live close to any of the limited stops of the 500, so we never rode on it, just watched it fly on by...

Did the 400 number routes get created later in the 70's? ...or is it just CRS?

I agree. Great memory, Brian. I remember the 586 on Mather Avenue.

C
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I remember the 500 with affection, when we were courting I lived in Garston and my other half lived in Gt Mersey Street- the amount of times he has run all the way from under the bridge in Garston to get the last bus in Garston Village!! Then after we were married we lived in Walton off Rice Lane and used to get the 500 to my Mums in Garston - happy days!

Blog Entries

In Reply to all the bus 500.workings,etc.Speke and Gillmoss were the main depots that crews covered 500.First buses left each depot about same time(very early)the last bus from Speke and Kirkby(gillmoss crew) met at same time every nite in Lime Street 23.30hrs then the crews would just walk over the road and got on the bus to finish at there respected nearest terminus.Other depots did works specials to Fords Factory 500.501.The route was always to be out from ranlaigh street.park rd.aigy road thru Garston then Eastern ave.It was fast limited stop.from town (south) first stop was Dingle Running time 7mins.even in peak hours.The fares were same as other routes and I think there was a minimum fare.Later on MPTE.introduced RAPID RIDE to encourage more paxs to use buses in the outter hsg estates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12