Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liverpool Blitz-Tom Fairclough

I was born in my Aunt's house on Herbert street right next to Walton Hospital April 17 1941, just in time for the May blitz. My mom, sisters & brother lived in the end house on Romley st. When the sirens went off during the bombing, they would hide under the stairs instead of going out to the shelter in the street. My dad was in the army in Africa. When my mom thought she was ready to have me, she packed up the kids and they went down to my Aunts house on Herbert st. where I was born. We all stayed with my Aunt for a few days until mom was ready to go back to their house. When they got there they found that a bomb had landed nearby and blown in the back of the house and most of the back wall was under the stairs. The neighbors said it happened the night after we left. We would have all been killed if we had stayed there. Shortly after, my Grandma (Nena) packed us all up and we took off for Wales. We were evacuated to Llay near Wrexham where we stayed until things cooled down a bit in Liverpool. When we went back to Liverpool we lived in a house on Venmore st. where we could hear the roars at the football match at Anfield.
    My dad was captured in Africa and shipped to a P.O.W. camp in Italy. When the Italian guards heard the Americans had landed in Italy they all took off. My dad and some of his mates left the camp and trekked over the Alps to Switzerland where he spent the rest of the war. Most of the prisoners stayed at the camp waiting for the Americans but the Germans came first and shipped them to another camp in Germany.. Fortunately we all survived the war. When my dad was demobbed and came home we all had a big party in the street.

Blog Entries

Hi Spike, I ave read this thread for a second time,it is very poignant. I would have hated to have lived through those times; being born in 1942 ,I was incapable of knowing what a war was and I have no memories of bombing. My personal memories start at the Victory Party's ,again I did'nt know what Victory meant,it was just something that made people happy.
    My Dad did'nt talk much about his experiences ,he was in a priority trade and could not enlist in the armed forces,but he was an Auxilliary Fireman. My mum told us that during the May Blitz he worked long and exhaustive hours fighting the many fires that threatened to consume parts of our city. He would often come home shaking and distraught at the sights that his team saw on those hellish nights. His most traumatic experience was when he was attending a fire in Kirkdale, a bomb had destroyed several houses and the remains were ablaze. As he was clearing away the rubble,he came across the crushed body of his best mates young son. He could not speak of it near fifty years later. My Mum was the holder of that story and I knew that it was something that haunted him down all the days. Peace is so precious,and threads like yours help remind us of just how precious it is,
    BrianD

Just for information the exhibition will be repeated (with some extra material) this time in the Watson building in Renshaw Street. The Watson building is part of the former Lewis's building (opposite the Adelphi) and it will be on from 29th april to 14th June 2011. Thank you.

Just as an update, after some major problems on thursday and friday due to printers and other things its up and running. It is larger this year than last although all of last years material is included. It will be in Lewis's (Watson Buildinhg, Renshaw street) for the next 6 weeks

Blog Entries

I took notice and went to the tissue cupboard then watched it it was very upsetting I remember when I was a kid mum & dad telling me about blacklers having all those people buried underneath, they said what's wrong with your feet walking like that you said people are buried underneath they said silly during an air raid it got a direct hit

Apologies to anyone who went down and found it unfinished in two windows, I was recommended a hanging system against my better judgement and it failed in two windows, I have tidied up and hopefully it should be Ok now.

I am updating and adding to the website tonight (hopefully).

Tom Fairclough

Default Watson Building-Lewis's

Just for information, whilst it was due to be taken down on the 14th, I've been given an extra two weeks until the 29th of June so it will remain up until then.

Tom Fairclough

Bump

I said it had been extended for two weeks, well it's still up as no-one is developing that part of the Lewis's building as yet and they've said it can stay for now. What was intended to be two months looks a lot more like 7 months or more (I do like getting a bang from your buck)

Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12