Thread: Shytalk

Default Scouse Hillbilly

I moved to Arkansas when I retired at the end of last March. I had been in Florida for 25 years and needed a change, it was getting way too overpopulated and the roads were so crowded it was no fun driving any more.
    I have been visiting the Ozark mountain area since 1976 and love it so I decided this is where I wanted to be. Property prices were another incentive houses here cost 20% of what the do in Florida.
    The first pics are Heinz investigating the first snow he has ever seen, first I have seen in 25 years. The bird on the feeder is a Cardinal, we get a good selection of birds here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house 003.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	1471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house 008.jpg 
Views:	643 
ID:	1472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house 010.jpg 
Views:	624 
ID:	1473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house 011.jpg 
Views:	656 
ID:	1474  
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Yes you sent me one of her poems a while ago. There are a lot of artistic/creative/musical people around here. I often wonder if it is because there is still prohibition here, lack of booze might be the reason.
    People from the Uk think I'm kidding when I tell them that 75% of this state is dry. But it is what the people want, they voted for it to be that way. The upside is that it is a relatively crime free area.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

This area has a lot of rivers, five flow through the county I live in, so it is a very picturesque area. This is a picture of the riverfront park about a mile from where I live.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	riverfront.JPG 
Views:	602 
ID:	1475  
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Yes you sent me one of her poems a while ago. There are a lot of artistic/creative/musical people around here. I often wonder if it is because there is still prohibition here, lack of booze might be the reason.
    People from the Uk think I'm kidding when I tell them that 75% of this state is dry. But it is what the people want, they voted for it to be that way. The upside is that it is a relatively crime free area.
    Maybe that's why my friend left Arkansas!!! No, seriously, she is not a big drinker. I also know she is worried about the crime in the Richmond area, so you might be better off where you are, Shy.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I love those red cardinals. Can't get enough of them.
    I prefer the Blue Jay myself, a very beautiful bird yet hardy enough to tough out the brutal Canadian winter. A very distinctive bird not like the "red" Cardinal a hybrid that looks to be a cross between a parrot and a grossbill.
    Help find Madeleine

We get a lot of Bluejays too, I agree, very pretty. I think they might be aggressive though because I never see another bird on the feeder when a Bluejay is there. I've seen a few around recently but not as many as in the summer.
    Winston Churchill

I think that there might be a case for a lot of the uk to be booze free especially if the crime rate is going to be cut, not to mention the weekend hospital admissions caused by booze!

You live in a very pretty part of the USA.. Cardinals are my state bird.. we don't have any bluejays..Nice clean country Arkansas.. do you ever get back to Liverpool? Nice parks they have there... LOVELY birds too...

Default deliverance

Does anybody play duelling banjos in that area Shy
    History One Person's Perception

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Latest crime figures published04:00, Oct 18 2007

Latest crime figures for England and Wales will be published by the Government.

The last batch of Home Office data, published three months ago, revealed a rise in night-time crime in the wake of 24-hour licensing.

There were 940,522 violent crimes, cases of disorder and criminal damage committed from 6pm to 6am in the year after the controversial alcohol reforms, up 7,000 on the previous 12 months.

Between 3am and 6am there was a 22% leap in alcohol-fuelled crime year-on-year, although averages across the whole day showed a slight dip.

And separate figures from the British Crime Survey (BCS) showed there were 1,087,000 violent incidents in 2006-07 where the victim believed their attacker had been drinking.

The last batch of BCS data also showed violent crime rose by 5% last year, although officials said the figure was "not statistically significant".

The number of robberies recorded by police in England and Wales also rose 3% to 101,370 in the previous set of figures - the highest level for three years.

Causing death by dangerous driving or while under the influence of drink or drugs reached its highest level for 30 years, with 462 cases in the year, up 7%.

Recorded crime figures showed a 9% rise in drugs offences to 194,300.

The total number of recorded crimes fell by 2% to 5.4 million.