YO! Liverpool
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 77

Thread: Cranborne Road Murder

  1. #31
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve miller View Post
    Donna please cjheck your private messages
    I have something you might be interested in
    Also you may want to contact George Skelly he may be interested in your family history
    Steve, check your PMs

  2. #32
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    I really am looking forward to George Skelly's new book about the Cranbourne road murder. His "Cameo Conspiracy" was a fine book and completely captured my imagination. He is a fine author and the Cameo book is now hard to find . There is actually one on the net for sale at 130 !

  3. #33
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Apparently awards such as the Kings medal and the OBE cannot be stripped from a person posthumously as they no longer own the award when they die. That is straight from the Cabinet Office that awards them in the first place. I don't agree with it as many a headstone will have details of a persons awards and they will be remembered as to having received them and for the reasons why.

  4. #34
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macateb View Post
    Its quite interesting all this stuff about 7 Cranborne Road. I grew up at No.8 and didn't know all that much about it until reading this thread.

    I do find it funny however that the link from the first post http://detectiveandrews.tripod.com/cranborne.html
    has the photo "Keith Andrews in Cranborne Road, Wavertree".
    Someone should tell him he's looking in the wrong place. He's standing in what looks like Salisbury Road.
    I like the G. Gordon Liddy moustache.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  5. #35
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Alice Rimmer lying in her hallway after the attack which left her dead. Not gory I hope you'll agree but shocking all the same. If it wasn't Devlin and Burns who done this to her then let's all hope that, one day, we all get some truth and can perhaps find out really who did it. Not least for her relatives. I know someone who knew Mrs Rimmer's lad in later life. He's gone though. Perhaps he knows what happened to his Mum now.
    Does anyone know what happened to Mrs Rimmers son Thomas? He had been in the Police and left but was supposed to have re-joined. When did he die etc?

  6. #36
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'd heard of this case previously - although not in great detail. The parallels with the Cameo case are unreal. I cannot wait for GK's book to come out on this case, after which time these two young men will hopefully be pardoned.

    Does anyone know when the book's due for release?

    Thanks guys.

  7. #37
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    I'd heard of this case previously - although not in great detail. The parallels with the Cameo case are unreal. I cannot wait for GK's book to come out on this case, after which time these two young men will hopefully be pardoned.

    Does anyone know when the book's due for release?

    Thanks guys.
    George is still working on it along with another aspect of the case.

  8. #38
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    George is still working on it along with another aspect of the case.


    Thanks Chris48. Keep us updated - knowing the research that George puts into his investigations, it'll be a few years before we see the book. I for one can't wait.

  9. #39
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm only new to this forum. but nevertheless rHow do we know Devlin and Burns were innocent? Who says so? Where's the evidence? They were after all found guilty by a jury of 12 people.
    Can anyone prove they were inniocent?

  10. #40
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Where is Detective Andrews. He's the expert, isn't he?

  11. #41
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Last I heard of him he was posing for the camera in Salisbury Road thinking it was Cranborne Road! Maybe he's still lost? Still waiting, by the way, for his and his mate Slemen's revelations about who done the murder and how they solved it!

  12. #42
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harryboy View Post
    I'm only new to this forum. but nevertheless rHow do we know Devlin and Burns were innocent? Who says so? Where's the evidence? They were after all found guilty by a jury of 12 people.
    Can anyone prove they were inniocent?


    I know a little about this - both men were in their 20s, and hanged for the murder of a middle aged woman in Liverpool. The Lead Police Officer on the case was our "friend" Herbert Balmer. There is apparently no forensic evidence that link the men to the victim. In fact there is evidence to suggest that both the men were in Bolton or Manchester committing a burgulary at the time the murder occurred. There is a lot of evidence which suggests the two young men are innocent. I haven't a view one way or another at this point in time - but if the Cameo Murders are anything to go on............need I say more!!

  13. #43
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    .
    Last edited by Famous Scouser; 07-04-2009 at 05:15 PM.

  14. #44
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    [QUOTE=burkhilly;167253]I know a little about this - both men were in their 20s, and hanged for the murder of a middle aged woman in Liverpool. The Lead Police Officer on the case was our "friend" Herbert Balmer. There is apparently no forensic evidence that link the men to the victim. In fact there is evidence to suggest that both the men were in Bolton or Manchester committing a burgulary at the time the murder occurred. There is a lot of evidence which suggests the two young men are innocent. I haven't a view one way or another at this point in time - but if the Cameo Murders are anything to go on............need I say more!![/QUOTE]




    ADVERTISING




    Yes Burkhilly, but what and where is that evidence that you say suggests their innocence?

  15. #45
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I don't have an opinion on this case because I know only very basic details. I was just briefly letting you know what I've read on the case. I know that George Skelly is currently writing a book on the case and believes that the two men were innocent. I shall wait and read George's book before I have an opinion on the case.

  16. #46
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Well, if Skelly's on the case, we probably will find out what really happened, and discover that these two men, like Kelly and Connolly, were innocent.
    After all, unlike Shortall in his book (who said Connolly was involved in the Cameo murder) , Skelly turned out to be right.

  17. #47
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I wonder if there is a family waiting in the wings and rubbing their hands together in anticipation in this case too.

  18. #48
    Newbie jane2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    :
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Scouser View Post
    I wonder if there is a family waiting in the wings and rubbing their hands together in anticipation in this case too.
    why dont you all just ask skelly, if there is any family he seems to know, who gets what and you all seem to take his word ,

  19. #49
    Newbie jess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs up

    hi jane 2

    perhaps you have also read the sites as i have, and think it all seem to be how right skelly is on everything, do our friends on these sites know that in order to write these books the author has to reasearch

  20. #50
    Newbie jane2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    hi jess am i right in thinking that authors of the books would also have spoken to family members. it seems that reading between the lines there must of been some kind of falling out with the kelly family and skelly, it would be interesting if any one knows if this is the case .

  21. #51
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jane2 View Post
    : why dont you all just ask skelly, if there is any family he seems to know, who gets what and you all seem to take his word ,
    Whoah! folks.
    All I said was Skelly will probably find out the truth about Devlin & Burns innocence, like he discovered Kelly and Connolly's innocence in the Cameo case. And that, Shortall obviously didn't find out their innocence because in HIS book HE still maintained that Connolly was involved in the Cameo case. And that not only Skelly proved him wrong but also the Court of Appeal in 2003, when they clearedd K&C. As far as research is concerned, I believe Skelly spent years researching the Cameo case which included interviews with Kelly's relatives. Or at least that what was in the Echo a few weeks ago.

  22. #52
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Interesting how Jane 2 and Jess are both new to the forum, both dont use capital letters for their usernames or in their post, and dont use questions marks after asking questions. Amazing!

  23. #53
    Newbie jane2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi yes i am new to this site, but did not know i had to ask anyone for permission to quote or reply to anyone on it ? also did not know it was a education site? I HAVE READ ALL OF YOUR QUOTES ON kELLY CONNOLLY SITE,and you all seem to know everythink about there familys. I think you have all read the book :CAMEO CONSPIRACY: and quote your findings on this.Also it was not Skelly who cleared Kelly and Connolly it was the courts. Ialso would like to point out the quote the famous scouser made no 47, Dont tell me that Skelly done all that research for years published a book and now is doing a script for a film and not going to get anythink out of it.I wonder if he is waiting in the wings rubbing his hands together. AFTER ALL HE IS HE DETECTIVE AND EXPERT IN ALL THIS ISNT HE???.

  24. #54
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    No hes not going to get anythin(k) out of it at all. Yes he does know everythin(k) about the Cameo as he has lived and breathed it for 60 years as his brother was involved and was with George Kelly at the time he was supposed to be murdering people. The "Cameo conspiracy" told the truth and in his research, George Skelly and Lou Santangeli found the statement that ultimately cleared your relative. George Skelly IS the world renowned expert on the Cameo case in the absence of George Kelly and Charlie Connolly.
    Last edited by Famous Scouser; 05-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.

  25. #55
    Newbie jane2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    There,s another mistake you have made, as i am not a family member of either of these men or have any conection with any of there family,s. just having my say like your self and others as you all seem to know so much about it.Or ave i hit a sore point and are you the detective and the expert in this case.?????

  26. #56
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Nope, not me but I do have a huge interest in the case and particularly Balmer. So thats 1 mistake each.

  27. #57
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I take an interest in the Cameo Murders.............and to a certain extent the Cranbourne Road murder.

    The Cameo Murder needs to be discussed on that thread not this one. However, I too must defend George Skelly, because without his research and consequently the book, the Court of Appeal would never have quashed the convictions.

  28. #58
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jane2 View Post
    Hi yes i am new to this site, but did not know i had to ask anyone for permission to quote or reply to anyone on it ? also did not know it was a education site? I HAVE READ ALL OF YOUR QUOTES ON kELLY CONNOLLY SITE,and you all seem to know everythink about there familys. I think you have all read the book :CAMEO CONSPIRACY: and quote your findings on this.Also it was not Skelly who cleared Kelly and Connolly it was the courts. Ialso would like to point out the quote the famous scouser made no 47, Dont tell me that Skelly done all that research for years published a book and now is doing a script for a film and not going to get anythink out of it.I wonder if he is waiting in the wings rubbing his hands together. AFTER ALL HE IS HE DETECTIVE AND EXPERT IN ALL THIS ISNT HE???.
    Jane, I think you are being very unfair to Skelly. He is obviously a writer who is intensely concerned about miscarriages of justice. And his book, as Burkilly rightly says, WAS instrumental in clearing the names of Kelly and Connolly. His friend Santangeli did it through the courts by submitting the vital statement of the perjurer Robert Graham which won the appeals. But if you read The Cameo Conspiracy properly, (p.96)you will see that it was Skelly who first discovered that statement and made public Graham's lies - the lies which sent an innocent man to the gallows. I think we should all thank him, including the Kelly family and their friends. And if he made any money from his book, why shouldnt he? As the adage goes, "The labourer is worth his hire". Why are people like you so ungracious and so ungrateful?i

  29. #59
    Newbie jane2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Harryboy If you look on this site and see that other members quote the case of KELLY and CONNOLLY. and if you looked at what yourself and others have quoted about the familys, as like myself dont know them , but to say the things you all do say. I think you should all be a shamed . i see that there is a close family member on this site and it mustbe very hurtfull to see they way you all call them . the family,s had the stigma of this for years and now have a lot of people calling them i think that is what is unfair. I WONDER WHEN SKELLYS NEW BOOK COMES AROUNDYOU WILL KNOW THAT FAMILY SO WELL TO CALL??????????????

  30. #60
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Jane, I ask you again, why are people like you so ungracious and ungrateful?
    If you are really concerned about injustice you should applaud people like George Skelly, who, rather than sitting on their backsides or gossiping in pubs, actually decide to do get up and do something about it How can you criticise a man like that, who is apparently currently trying to clear Devlin & Burns , who he feels were also wrongly convicted and hanged for murder 2 year after George Kelly?
    As far as my comments go: I wasn't having a go at anyone's familiy. I was simply quoting what actually happened in the Court of Appeal, according to the official records. i.e. Kelly's daughter asking the Court - via her barrister - for her travelling expenses immediately after her father being cleared of a 50 year-old murder. I think most people would find that most unseemly to say the least. And I make no apologies for repeating my view that if it had been my father, for whom I had been (allegedly) campaigning for 50 years, I would gladly have WALKED all the way home to Liverpool!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The murder of Madge Kirby
    By SteH in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
  2. Childwall/Thingwall Road area murder about 1965/67
    By nobbyrott in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
  3. Cranborne Road Murder.
    By Romantic Love Shayari in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 12:30 PM
  4. Murder in Liverpool circa 1973 / 74
    By sheilsy in forum Liverpool People Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
  5. Tuebrook Murder
    By Kev in forum Liverpool East
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!