YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 77

Thread: Cranborne Road Murder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member SteH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Childwall, Liverpool
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Cranborne Road Murder

    In 1951 Beatrice Rimmer was bludgeoned to death in her home, with robbery the supposed motive. Two Mancunians Edward Devlin and Alfred Burns were later hung for the murder after investigations led by Bert Balmer, who would appear to have 'fitted up' George Kelly and Charles Connolly over the Cameo murders.

    The evidence against the two accused was largely circumstantial, involving eye witness accounts by people of questionable character and the defendants failure to provide a suitable alibi. No murder weapon or fingerprints were ever found, nor did anyone ever see the them go into the house.

    I'm convinced that this is, like the Cameo case, a miscarriage of justice. Here's some links:-

    http://www.geocities.com/stevenhorto...borneroad.html
    http://detectiveandrews.tripod.com/cranborne.html


    ADVERTISING


    Last edited by SteH; 02-16-2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: omitted to include Connolly as being fitted up

  2. #2
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi Steve

    Thanks for starting this thread. As you say, it appears to be another miscarriage of justice down to Bert Balmer fitting up a couple of petty criminals for the crime just as in the Cameo case.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  3. #3
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    what a sad case

  4. #4
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    My mate still lives opposite to the house in question!

  5. #5
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    My mate still lives opposite to the house in question!
    get us a pic jona!

  6. #6
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post


    get us a pic jona!

    Of me mates house?

  7. #7
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    No, of the sad case.

  8. #8
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi AP and MissInformed

    Thanks, AP, for sharing that newscutting with us. As you saw, it is New Brighton-based George Skelly, author of The Cameo Conspiracy, who is writing the book on the Cranborne Road murder. As George told me by email recently, and as related in the cutting, he sees a direct parallel between what happened with George Kelly and Charles Connolly, the two men convicted in the Cameo murders, and the convictions and execution of Burns and Devlin for the murder of Beatrice Rimmer in her Wavertree home. In both cases, the men who were tried and found guilty of the crimes appear to have been "fitted up" for the crimes by the chief Liverpool CID officer, Bert Balmer.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  9. #9
    Newbie steve miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    S****horpe
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question

    Hi Chris do you know how the book by George is progressing?

    all the best
    Steve

  10. #10
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I wonder if it was George Skelly or possibly MarkR from this forum, or even Tom Slemen who rang into Radio City this week when Pete Price had Bernard-Hogan-Howe on the programme. It was in protest at the Police commissionaire wanting to charge 450 for documents on an old murder case being made avaialble for public scrutiny under the freedom of information act.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  11. #11
    Senior Member AntiPathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I wonder if it was George Skelly or possibly MarkR from this forum, or even Tom Slemen who rang into Radio City this week when Pete Price had Bernard-Hogan-Howe on the programme. It was in protest at the Police commissionaire wanting to charge 450 for documents on an old murder case being made avaialble for public scrutiny under the freedom of information act.
    Did the caller actually mention this case ? If so, it will almost certainly have been Slem or his sidecar rider, Mr. Andrews (if it were me I wouldn't know which handlebars to grab). If it wasn't this case being talked about, how comes you posted that in this thread ?
    Last edited by AntiPathos; 04-05-2007 at 11:51 AM.

  12. #12
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Hi there. I bumped into Mr Andrews quite by accident when the Gardens of Stone screening was on at the Olive Mount Community Centre last wednesday. He has a 'Criminologist' sign on his bungalow gate, so I chatted to him for a while and he said they had some 'revelations' about this case and others, I suspect Wallace and the Ripper that he and Slemen were supposed to working on (Liverpool it seems may have run out of ghosts now)- I won't hold my breath.

    Hogan-Howe was very suspicious of why someone would want an old case file, he said he had to wary of suspects in an old case delving into what the police actually had/or never had on them.

    It transpired that it was someone writing a book about a famous old Liverpool case and this was only one of perhaps three I could think of that was in the news, what with Bert Balmer and his perhaps dodgy methods and the call for justice. This therefore might not be the correct thread in actual fact but if it is being revisited, then it's quite possible that this is the file the caller was on about.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  13. #13
    Senior Member AntiPathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hi there. I bumped into Mr Andrews quite by accident when the Gardens of Stone screening was on at the Olive Mount Community Centre last wednesday. He has a 'Criminologist' sign on his bungalow gate, so I chatted to him for a while and he said they had some 'revelations' about this case and others...
    You chatted to him because he had a 'Criminologist' sign on his driveway ?

    You know, he and Slem can hint all they like about their revelations regarding this case and others. That's one of their tricks. The fact is: they know nothing. I know people (yes, plural) who have seen the Merseyside Police case files on this murder so anything in them is not a revelation which Andrews or Slem have any power to exclusively hold back or reveal at a time of their choosing. There are people out there with far greater knowledge of Merseyside crimes than this pair claim to have and as have I asked before on here: what have either of them ever exclusively revealed about anything ? Can anyone answer me that ?

    My opinion is that Slem is a truly awful writer with a niche market preaching the unbelievable to the unbelievably naive. And, as our own Mr. George on here is well aware, he's been shown to have pilfered his tales from elsewhere (he didn't even hide it very well).

    Mr. Andrews, OTOH, is a self-styled criminologist who sees dead rock-stars on gateposts and who was, the last I heard, calling for a pedestrian tunnel to be built under the Mersey so people could pop over to the shops in Birkenhead. That's what we're dealing with here. The sooner this pair of jokers leave criminology to people qualified to write about such matters the better.

    Oh, and did you know that every time someone buys a Tom Slemen book that somewhere on Earth a genuine historical researcher dies. It's true.

    AP.

  14. #14
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    I very much agree with you. But in case you think i'm a sad case, I was a little lost at the time and had unknowingly driven past the community centre twice in my search for it, a sign on it would be good. That's when I spotted him and his sign. I asked him if he knew Vincent Burke, a real criminologist, he looked a bit blank and said after a while 'Oh Yes'

    I know of course that Slemen's 'revelation' of John Johnstone (sp) being the wallace murderer has been looked at before, as I say, i'm not holding my breath of those two finding anything new.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  15. #15
    Senior Member AntiPathos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I very much agree with you. But in case you think i'm a sad case, I was a little lost at the time and had unknowingly driven past the community centre twice in my search for it, a sign on it would be good. That's when I spotted him and his sign. I asked him if he knew Vincent Burke, a real criminologist, he looked a bit blank and said after a while 'Oh Yes'

    I know of course that Slemen's 'revelation' of John Johnstone (sp) being the wallace murderer has been looked at before, as I say, i'm not holding my breath of those two finding anything new.
    Don't worry Ged mate. If it helps, I know you're not one of the soft ones Evidently, there's something of a feud 'twixt Slem/Andrews and Burke so Andrews' face must have been priceless when you asked him had he heard of Vincent Pity you (probably) didn't add the "real Criminologist" bit in real life, for extra effect. I would have done...

    The Slem/Andrews theory of the Johnstones killing Julia Wallace is of course completely true because they are "credited with solving the case in Arabella McIntyre Brown's book, Liverpool: The First 1000 years." And this feat of enormous accreditation now ranks them above "other historians and crime fiction writers such as Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers and Raymond Chandler." (Link)

    Also on that page you'll see this inconspicuous gabble (which I'm reminded that I've mentioned before on here):

    "He is currently writing a feature on a crime historian's past, and an in-depth article on a failed one-book 'pulp crime writer' who writes nothing but anonymous emails to famous people. Keith is also working with a television screenwriter on a script about the Cameo Murders, based on the landmark book by Barry Shortall."

    Which seems to be a dig at none other than Mr. Burke and then a double (or does it count triple ?) dig at Mr. George Skelly. Baffling...

    ...except of course they're in something of a minor panic knowing that he has a Rimmer Murder book in the works (back 'on thread' at last !) and they've hinted at one of their own in the pipe-line (or should that be -dream ?).

    Be very assured that there is not the remotest chance that Slem and Andrews would (or even could) publish anything on the Cranborne Road murder first as they're palpably worried that George might know a lot more than they do and would rather have the opportunity to piggyback onto his research once his book is out anyway. And then accuse a dead neighbour...
    Last edited by AntiPathos; 04-05-2007 at 06:24 PM.

  16. #16
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the link, very interesting. If I didn't know better, i'd say the wiki page was written by the old chap himself - he certainly didn't look anything like his bouncer pic

    So there was I, talking to such a famous crime solver - not - ha ha.

    I like the way they mention Parry was a main suspect then almost as an aside then mention WHW was also blamed.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  17. #17
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    I really am looking forward to George Skelly's new book about the Cranbourne road murder. His "Cameo Conspiracy" was a fine book and completely captured my imagination. He is a fine author and the Cameo book is now hard to find . There is actually one on the net for sale at 130 !

  18. #18
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Apparently awards such as the Kings medal and the OBE cannot be stripped from a person posthumously as they no longer own the award when they die. That is straight from the Cabinet Office that awards them in the first place. I don't agree with it as many a headstone will have details of a persons awards and they will be remembered as to having received them and for the reasons why.

  19. #19
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Alice Rimmer lying in her hallway after the attack which left her dead. Not gory I hope you'll agree but shocking all the same. If it wasn't Devlin and Burns who done this to her then let's all hope that, one day, we all get some truth and can perhaps find out really who did it. Not least for her relatives. I know someone who knew Mrs Rimmer's lad in later life. He's gone though. Perhaps he knows what happened to his Mum now.
    Does anyone know what happened to Mrs Rimmers son Thomas? He had been in the Police and left but was supposed to have re-joined. When did he die etc?

  20. #20
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'd heard of this case previously - although not in great detail. The parallels with the Cameo case are unreal. I cannot wait for GK's book to come out on this case, after which time these two young men will hopefully be pardoned.

    Does anyone know when the book's due for release?

    Thanks guys.

  21. #21
    Chris48
    Guest Chris48's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    I'd heard of this case previously - although not in great detail. The parallels with the Cameo case are unreal. I cannot wait for GK's book to come out on this case, after which time these two young men will hopefully be pardoned.

    Does anyone know when the book's due for release?

    Thanks guys.
    George is still working on it along with another aspect of the case.

  22. #22
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    George is still working on it along with another aspect of the case.


    Thanks Chris48. Keep us updated - knowing the research that George puts into his investigations, it'll be a few years before we see the book. I for one can't wait.

  23. #23
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm only new to this forum. but nevertheless rHow do we know Devlin and Burns were innocent? Who says so? Where's the evidence? They were after all found guilty by a jury of 12 people.
    Can anyone prove they were inniocent?

  24. #24
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Where is Detective Andrews. He's the expert, isn't he?

  25. #25
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Last I heard of him he was posing for the camera in Salisbury Road thinking it was Cranborne Road! Maybe he's still lost? Still waiting, by the way, for his and his mate Slemen's revelations about who done the murder and how they solved it!

  26. #26
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harryboy View Post
    I'm only new to this forum. but nevertheless rHow do we know Devlin and Burns were innocent? Who says so? Where's the evidence? They were after all found guilty by a jury of 12 people.
    Can anyone prove they were inniocent?


    I know a little about this - both men were in their 20s, and hanged for the murder of a middle aged woman in Liverpool. The Lead Police Officer on the case was our "friend" Herbert Balmer. There is apparently no forensic evidence that link the men to the victim. In fact there is evidence to suggest that both the men were in Bolton or Manchester committing a burgulary at the time the murder occurred. There is a lot of evidence which suggests the two young men are innocent. I haven't a view one way or another at this point in time - but if the Cameo Murders are anything to go on............need I say more!!

  27. #27
    Senior Member Famous Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    .
    Last edited by Famous Scouser; 07-04-2009 at 05:15 PM.

  28. #28
    Member Harryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    [QUOTE=burkhilly;167253]I know a little about this - both men were in their 20s, and hanged for the murder of a middle aged woman in Liverpool. The Lead Police Officer on the case was our "friend" Herbert Balmer. There is apparently no forensic evidence that link the men to the victim. In fact there is evidence to suggest that both the men were in Bolton or Manchester committing a burgulary at the time the murder occurred. There is a lot of evidence which suggests the two young men are innocent. I haven't a view one way or another at this point in time - but if the Cameo Murders are anything to go on............need I say more!![/QUOTE]



    Yes Burkhilly, but what and where is that evidence that you say suggests their innocence?

  29. #29
    Newbie SisterMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Any further contacts?

    I would be very interested if you had any further contacts about the Burns & Devlyn case, as Alfred Burns was my mums cousin. I have been looking in to my family history and come across this skeleton. It seems to all be a bit hush hush in the family, and that alone has lit an immediate interest to me.
    Many thanks for the information you have put on here.
    Donna

  30. #30
    DaisyChains
    Guest DaisyChains's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SisterMoon View Post
    I would be very interested if you had any further contacts about the Burns & Devlyn case, as Alfred Burns was my mums cousin. I have been looking in to my family history and come across this skeleton. It seems to all be a bit hush hush in the family, and that alone has lit an immediate interest to me.
    Many thanks for the information you have put on here.
    Donna
    Fascinating !
    I hope you find out what you're looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The murder of Madge Kirby
    By SteH in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
  2. Childwall/Thingwall Road area murder about 1965/67
    By nobbyrott in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
  3. Cranborne Road Murder.
    By Romantic Love Shayari in forum Liverpool Folklore and Oddities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 12:30 PM
  4. Murder in Liverpool circa 1973 / 74
    By sheilsy in forum Liverpool People Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
  5. Tuebrook Murder
    By Kev in forum Liverpool East
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!