Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: queen anne place

Thanks for all your help tonight,dad is made up he said he did get his hair cut in cotters with his twin brother. used to get xmas toys from caplans .Get back to you tomorrow . pixie

Default Four Squares area.

Knocked around with loads from there. Your dad'll remember the Piggeries then. I have a pic of Cotters/The Ah Thi laundry next door to it etc and plenty of the four squares tenements in my books 'In a city living' - See here www.inacityliving.piczo.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piggeries and new.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	1466  

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Knocked around with loads from there. Your dad'll remember the Piggeries then. I have a pic of Cotters/The Ah Thi laundry next door to it etc and plenty of the four squares tenements in my books 'In a city living' - See here www.inacityliving.piczo.com/
    Ged.

I'd be honoured if you'd join "Old Liverpool" and post some of your old pictures there.

Thanks from Philip.

see link below.

Thank you Phil - i'll gladly take a peek.

I've got loads from the Liverpool record office but the management attachment thing keeps saying the MB i'm trying to upload is too big for KB allowed for that type of file.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by pixie View Post
    He spent most of his childhood sitting outside kings pub waiting for me grandad, who only went in to get the time (as if ). He says he remembers pat molloys well. Me grandad worked in keezers (dont know how it was spelt) it was the glass place in st anne street. After the squares they moved out to the country (crocky) it was dead posh then.
    Pixie,The only Glass place I remember on St Anne St was Greenbergs which was that Thomas Bell place in the picture on the Corner of Richmond Row/St Anne St...
    The Building to the right of Thomas Bell was Alex and Vera's "Box House"..Thats where I started my Pool Hustling..Didn't last long though as I soon got Barred from Every Christmas Knockout in the Area !!..Happy Days..

Talking about 'doss houses' .. my grandmother used to tell us that there were places they called 'the penny lean' ... the mind boggles ! I get a mental picture of tramps leaning trying to sleep !

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Talking about 'doss houses' .. my grandmother used to tell us that there were places they called 'the penny lean' ... the mind boggles ! I get a mental picture of tramps leaning trying to sleep !
    It does bring strange images to mind lindy doesn't it !!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    She was right, Lindy.
    In fact they paid a penny to sleep over a rope which was hung from one side of the room to the other.
    Sounds like the "Penny Lean" to me.
    When was your Gran born, mine was born in 1880.

My grandmother was born in 1905.

She did tell us about the ropes .. but I never believed it! I thought she was having a joke and winding us up.

A rope for people to lean on !! ??? I find it incredible - I can't imagine how you could lean on a rope and fall asleep !! It's hard to imagine the sight of some poor unfortunates slumped over a rope - most uncomfortable I would think !!

must be where that saying comes from about being so tired that you could sleep on a clothes line ! ha,ha.

Seriously though, was this really a fact do you think ? Surely not ! ?

I've got some pictures of these old doss houses, mainly because they were very well built looking residences at some stage in their lives.

The one Gerard is thinking of in Shaw Street was called the 'Unique' - the one Dave is thinking of was in Springfield street, known as Springy locally.

The most famous penny lean was a place on Scotland Road called 'Champion Whates'.

There was also another on William Henry street around the corner from Cotters barbers, it's in Ainscough's Liverpool.

Thank you so much for taking the time to find the pictures, they have brought back many happy memories for my dad, (i think he might be the one on the left). The glass place was defo on st anne street, my grandad was still working there in 1960, so greenbergs might have taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I've got some pictures of these old doss houses, mainly because they were very well built looking residences at some stage in their lives.

The one Gerard is thinking of in Shaw Street was called the 'Unique' - the one Dave is thinking of was in Springfield street, known as Springy locally.

The most famous penny lean was a place on Scotland Road called 'Champion Whates'.

There was also another on William Henry street around the corner from Cotters barbers, it's in Ainscough's Liverpool.

I wanna' see a picture of the rope ! !

how did it go today Ged ?

There was one in on the corner of shaw street and the brow called petrus, it only closed a couple of years ago, all the old town characters used to stay there.

Gerard

Glad you like em pixie,I'll try and get hold of some more mate.

Spot on Ged...I forgot about the one on Springy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast