Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember Throstles Nest?

Default Anyone remember Throstles Nest?

NO! Not the pub!, the little road in Walton, where Sainsburys is now. There was a little old pub called The Stanley, with a coal fire and a 'snug'. and next to that was the old picture house, I think it was the Atlas, Long since closed down when I was a kid, we used to cut between the Plough and the Atlas, down Throstles nest and then turn into Beaconsfield Road, it was like steppin back in time, it was a little cobbled street full of two up two downs and old gaslamps as I remember, I used to get the wierdest feelin as I walked into that road, on my way to Wally all park, it was like I had gone into another era!! I was so sad when they pulled it all down, some things should be kept for posterity!

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by cillapink View Post
    NO! Not the pub!, the little road in Walton, where Sainsburys is now. There was a little old pub called The Stanley, with a coal fire and a 'snug'. and next to that was the old picture house, I think it was the Atlas, Long since closed down when I was a kid, we used to cut between the Plough and the Atlas, down Throstles nest and then turn into Beaconsfield Road, it was like steppin back in time, it was a little cobbled street full of two up two downs and old gaslamps as I remember, I used to get the wierdest feelin as I walked into that road, on my way to Wally all park, it was like I had gone into another era!! I was so sad when they pulled it all down, some things should be kept for posterity!
    Cant remember that Cilla,used to go t' wally all every Sunday mornin' though for a kickabout when we were about 12.

I'm assumin by that comment that I am FAR OLDER than you? *sniff* I'm 41 and I think they knocked it down in the mid to late 80's

Last edited by cillapink; 02-15-2007 at 06:05 PM.

He wishes.

PhilipG

I bet you weren't expecting anyone to have a photo?
    Throstles Nest ran behind the Atlas cinema.
    This is the site of the Atlas, so this is Throstle's Nest.
    July 1986.

OMG Phil! How BRILL! The plough is to the left of that pic, out of shot, so its between there and the Cinema and I think the buildin to the right might be the Stanley, I think they knocked that down well after.
    Thanks for postin that, if you get any more of that area, please post em, I LUV lookin at old pics of where I was brought up!

Brilliant Philip .. fancy coming up with that one.

Cilla - our members will come up with everything on this forum

The minute Cilla mentioned the Atlas in her 1st post I thought 'I bet Phil's got one of that'

PhilipG

How about this?
    July 1986.
    The Atlas cinema was between the Plough and the Stanley.

WOW! A right little David Blaine YOU are Phil LOL! Brilliant!! OOOH I do luv a bit of NOSTALGIA (a sign of gettin old maybe ) I just took a peek at your old Liverpool site, will have a better look when I get more time....Looks interestin..lots of nice old piccies!
    Thanks Phil

Lindy! I think you're right! they're a right little mine of information! Its FAB!

PhilipG

WOW! A right little David Blaine YOU are Phil LOL! Brilliant!! OOOH I do luv a bit of NOSTALGIA (a sign of gettin old maybe ) I just took a peek at your old Liverpool site, will have a better look when I get more time....Looks interestin..lots of nice old piccies!
    Thanks Phil

Lindy! I think you're right! they're a right little mine of information! Its FAB!
    My pleasure, Cilla.

Mind you, I might not have bothered if your name was Black (or White).
    Only joking.
    Surprise, Surprise.
    It's time for my Scouse elocution lessons.

I remember that well.I lived on the estate up Cavendish Drive.
    It was a shame about those old houses,but they were left to rot for too long and with the surrounding factories the place became infested with rats.I seem to remember there was one old woman living there who refused to move.Her house was left standing as the others were being torn down.

Yeah I vaguely remember that Stan, Must have been hard to live somewhere all your life, then be forced to move away from all you know.

Phil......I only DO Pink! Black or White is SOOOOO COMMON!

Default The Throstles Nest Scotland Road.Liverpool

Hi All,Maybe i'm starting to wander.The only Throstles Nest Scotland Road I knew Was next to the Big Catholic Church.Used to Drink there with the Marra,O'Hara's,Frosty Thompson who married Ada Marr,At that time the most Beautiful Sheila In Liverpool.My Uncle Cyril Lunt (Ginger) his wife to be Kath,sorry other names are there but won't come out.This was 1954.Long time ago.Now I'm getting the Mersey Mist in my Eyes.The next best thing to Heaven I still think is Liverpool and I'm not biassed.Best Regards Ken B

Partsky

Default Yes there were two Throstles Nests

These posts take me back. I worked in Walton Hospital between 1970 and 1982 and the old Atlas Cinema and the Throstles Nest did run in between the Cinema and pub. I am sure the Atlas was still standing but was derelict and was demolished. It was a really spooky little place. It was more of an alleyway than anything else. I used to go for a walk through it and wander around to the old closed Jewish Cemetery thats near the bottom of Stalmine Road. The Throstles Nest and the Cemetery always felt a bit other worldly, like being back in another time.

The Throstles Nest Pub was one of my Dads old Boozers and was close by St Anthonys Church. Thanks for photo. Great stuff.

Does anyone remember the Soap works that stood in between the Atlas and Cavendish Drive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast