Thread: Kensington Fairies

Default Kensington Fairies

Anyone remember this story better than I do, or have the original echo report, it all happened in the early 1960's I think by where the bowling green was near Kensington Fields?

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFaragher View Post
    Anyone remember this story better than I do, or have the original echo report, it all happened in the early 1960's I think by where the bowling green was near Kensington Fields?
    hi steve
    there is an account of this in a tom slemen book
    i will let you know what one later when i get home...

Default Fairies in kensington park.

I remember this story. There is a remand home now in Edge lane whose rear backs onto the park. It used to be Doctor Cowans surgery. It fell into disrepair, and the garden at the back became overgrown, with quite high grass (waist high) One day somebody who had been on the nearby resevoir (which overlooked the backs of the houses in Edge Lane) said that when they looked down, they saw some very small figures walking through the overgrown garden. This story spread like wildfire, and these figures suddenly became "Fairies, diddy men, elves, goblins" you name it, someone had a different name for them. Granada television news even visited the scene, because there were literally hundreds of sightseers descended on to the reservoir. The police were on permanent duty there for two or three days, until the story died a death. I lived in nearby Brae Street, and was constantly on the reservoir as a kid, and heard all the stories. I never heard of anyone else seeing these small "figures" I think the tall grass combined with kids crawling through it, sparked the story off.

All the olds on the green tellin' us to "pi55 off home and give us some peace".Throwing stones at the coppers when their backs were turned.
    Ah yes,Iremember it well.