Page 49 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

This Cameo thread you've already posted on Lord Dick.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ighlight=cameo

It's quite some pages long, have you not read it from the start?

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Well, MarkR. YES you have been on this case forever.. Waiting for YOUR book.. Get out and find that publisher before he does... and best of luck to you.. Don't let your work just fade away into someone elses hands.. get a move on matie... I will buy your book...
    Thanks for your support and encouragement Paulette.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dick View Post
    Mark,
    I agree with you. If Wallace organised the murder with Marsden and Parry, why would he name them as likely suspects to the police. (which is not to say they both may have been culpable without Wallace's knowledge).
    Yes, I agree Lord Dick. They could have been culpable without Wallace's knowledge.

In that Echo piece Gannon claims that Wallace knew he was dying and didn't want to spend his last years with Julia. This is sheer speculation of course. Gannon also claims that Wallace wanted to spend his days in his nice bungalow with his hobbies...This is ridiculous - Wallace was NOT guaranteed the bungalow (or ANY bungalow). It was by pure luck that Wallace managed to get the bungalow in Bromborough. The court case and the cost of the defence crippled him. He had about ?150 in the bank. His brother Joseph contributed a few hundred pounds to the case and thre Pru sent the bulk of the donations. Wallace sued some of the press for slander and sold his story enabling him to put money towards the house. Wallace carried on working/commuting to Liverpool to his office job on Dale Street. Hardly retiring to the good life.

The murder (from a Wallace pov) was fraught with danger and hazardous to say the least. The method was highly dubious and anything could have gone wrong. As I have said on another post, if Wallace wanted to kill his wife, why go to such messy and difficult measures? Why didn't he just go on a holiday somewhere and push her over a cliff? Sure, there could be a doubt that he killed her but you can guarantee there would be less possibility of anything going wrong.

Gannon also mentioned that Mr 'M' (for murderer but I think we know he means 'Marsden') was getting paid to have sex with Julia...dear oh dear. I think this is ludicrous. He was 28 and she, 69...I know it might be argued but I cannot see it myself...
    It is Accomplished

This couple didn't know - until their taxi driver told them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...on-Street.html

Blog Entries

I wonder did they ever notice people taking random photo's of the house, or pointing to it, before the taxi driver revelation? Or the Shiverpool guided groups all parked outside the front window?

A lesson for us all when buying a new place.

1. Valuation
    2. Full structural survey.
    3. Doing a full house history search............Priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I wonder did they ever notice people taking random photo's of the house, or pointing to it, before the taxi driver revelation? Or the Shiverpool guided groups all parked outside the front window?

A lesson for us all when buying a new place.

1. Valuation
    2. Full structural survey.
    3. Doing a full house history search............Priceless!
    Ha ha Dazza - I'd live there at the drop of a hat. Yes, Ged, Kevin Firth (I believe a Liberal Councillor). I think they have moved now. Here's a photo of the steps at the back of Sedley/Letchworth Streets.

Thanks for that link to Gannon's Crimespace Ged. Yes, I've seen that Crimespace site with Gannon's blog (or should that be 'blag'?!!). Unfortunately, the Wallace Case now seems to have descended into a trashy/journalistic-type case with self-proclaimed 'experts' suddenly jumping on the bandwagon (a la Whitechapel/Ripper case). Gannon's claim that it was Marsden is hardly earth shattering. I named him as a possible suspect years ago and I cannot take any credit for that, after all, Wallace mentioned him as a possible suspect at the time. I believe the person Gannon is referring to is Joseph Caleb Marsden of 24 Adelaide Road (you heard it on Yo! first ). When Marsden collected for a time, one of his possible clients on his round was an "R.J Qualtrough"...)
    Interesting to also note that in his recommendation Gannon doesn't mention Murphy's book. Although I have made comments about Murphy's book, it is one of the essential reading books that should NOT be overlooked...
    It is Accomplished

Interesting read about Kevin and the new Julia.. What a coincidence to have the same name as the lady that died...spooky...

Well Julie - near enough NL

I have renewed vigour in this case. Gannon's notion falls down right away that Wallace was involved in precuring the help of Parry and blackmailing Marsden as Wallace pointed the finger at both of them during his questioning.

I would like to find out if an iron bar is down those grids of Priory Road though, that could solve the mystery and quantify Parkes' story once and for all methinks.

I agree Ged. Why would Wallace act in collusion with both/either THEN inform on them? It doesn't make sense...Either could turn King's evidence and Wallace would have definitely swung...
    When I first heard about the bar down the Priory Road grid, I wanted to round up a few mates and have a look
    It is Accomplished

I did take a look down them on friday from street level of course on my way into town but both sewers were halfway filled with water. I would imagine that although now clean of blood and fingerprints, the weight of any bar down there, if at all, would mean it would still be in situ. As luck would have it, both doctors that were there in 1931, have grids outside of them but I would imagine it would be No 9 which is the one closest to the triangle but could be the other.

I also took a look around Wolverton st, the back entries, Richmond Park and Wallaces' insurance round/route - apart from the vehicles and purple wheelie bins, the setting looks very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I did take a look down them on friday from street level of course on my way into town but both sewers were halfway filled with water. I would imagine that although now clean of blood and fingerprints, the weight of any bar down there, if at all, would mean it would still be in situ. As luck would have it, both doctors that were there in 1931, have grids outside of them but I would imagine it would be No 9 which is the one closest to the triangle but could be the other.

I also took a look around Wolverton st, the back entries, Richmond Park and Wallaces' insurance round/route - apart from the vehicles and purple wheelie bins, the setting looks very much the same.
    That's excellent Ged. Glad you got around the area. Yes, it looks very much the same (as you say apart from the bins etc). Yes, I think one of the doctors on Priory was Dr Curwen. He was the Wallace's GP and yes, you are right - there were two doctors situated on Priory. Imagine going down the sewer in a diving suit?!!
    It is Accomplished

Lisburn Lane, Knoclaid Road, Maiden Lane - all very much the same and as it was a workday, not many cars outside their houses so it was easy to imagine it was January 1931 on that grey dull friday last - very atmospheric.

Also took a look around Missouri rd and Pennsylvania. I wonder what happened to Wallaces old house?

Mark, I was shocked to read all the mistakes and assumptions made by the prosecution during Wallaces opening appearance at Dale st and further still that when he intervened to correct them ,he was shushed by the copper. Did he not have a defence lawyer at this point.

We need to write to as many people as possible that may be interested in seeing what that sewer has to yield. Radio City - seeing as it was Roger Wilkes programme that Parkes contacted with the info, NW water? Merseyside Police. Any surviving members of either Julia's or William's family?

There could be a near 80 year mystery waiting to be solved.

Hi Ged

Yes, prosecuting solicitor J.R. Bishop made 18 mis-statements of fact at the committal proceedings. Wallace was represented by Sydney Scholefield Allen and every time Allan objected to a mis-statement, he was met with disdain by Bishop. Apparently at the time of the proceedings a joke was made by somebody in the court - "Wallace, the chess player, got rid of his queen. Now he's having trouble with a bishop."

I'm sure the original houses in Pennsylvania and Missouri Roads were demolished. Strange thing is though, the new houses in Pennsylvania are minus number 26. That was the number the Wallace's lived at for a short time:-).

I'm sure Julia has a nephew in the North-East (Douglas Birch). I am also pretty sure WHW has family somewhere.
    It is Accomplished

[QUOTE=Mark R;206880]Hi Ged

Yes, prosecuting solicitor J.R. Bishop made 18 mis-statements of fact at the committal proceedings. Wallace was represented by Sidney Scholefield Allan and every time Allan objected to a mis-statement, he was met with disdain by Bishop. Apparently at the time of the proceedings a joke was made by somebody in the court - "Wallace, the chess player, got rid of his queen. Now he's having trouble with a bishop."

Mark, I fully agree with you about Bishop. This guy was a disgrace to the legal profession. He was still apparently misrepresenting facts in 1950. Reading The Cameo Conspiracy and the chapter on the committal proceedings, he treated Kelly's solicitor with the same disrespect and disdain.
    However, I don't think he could have got away with such behaviour without the compliance of the Committal magistrates, who also seemed to think the accused was guilty, even before a full trial!
    In the Cameo case this was a certain Mr Gordon, whom, I understand, along with Bishop, behaved similarly in the Devlin & Burns case. ( I don't know who the Committal magistrate was in the Wallace case) I heard that Bishop was a very close friend of several detectives, including the notorious Balmer, who handled both of the 1950's cases.

[QUOTE=Lord Dick;206960]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Hi Ged
    Mark, I fully agree with you about Bishop. This guy was a disgrace to the legal profession. He was still apparently misrepresenting facts in 1950. Reading The Cameo Conspiracy and the chapter on the committal proceedings, he treated Kelly's solicitor with the same disrespect and disdain.
    However, I don't think he could have got away with such behaviour without the compliance of the Committal magistrates, who also seemed to think the accused was guilty, even before a full trial!
    In the Cameo case this was a certain Mr Gordon, whom, I understand, along with Bishop, behaved similarly in the Devlin & Burns case. ( I don't know who the Committal magistrate was in the Wallace case) I heard that Bishop was a very close friend of several detectives, including the notorious Balmer, who handled both of the 1950's cases.
    That doesn't surprise at all Lord Dick...There were two prosecuting solicitors at the Magistrates Court that presided over the Wallace Committal Proceedings. Firstly, Richard Joseph Ward (who was getting on in years and not used to the case of murder). The second was Stuart Deacon, who was a more liberal minded man, but as you say, a lot of them believed that if a person was brought before the magistrates, they must be guilty...
    It is Accomplished

Page 49 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast