Page 36 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

DaisyChains

I found it on Getty Images.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hiya Mark. I found the Murphy one very atmospheric so was looking forward to your rating of it, I was surprised you gave it a 9 after mentioning a couple of discrepancies in it on this thread, think it was you anyway?
    Some of the criticisms I have are in the introduction. Murphy claims that past writers have indulged in supposition and speculation, yet I think this could apply to Murphy's book. Also (in Murphy's words) of being able to produce a profile of Julia's killer and beyond a reasonable doubt, his name. I don't believe it proves the guilt of Wallace beyond a reasonable doubt.
    He makes some excellent points but it didn't sway my opinion towards Wallace being the killer.
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Just watched Man From the Pru again.
    What a great piece of TV.
    Really well acted and very dark to reflect the seriousness of the crime I thought.

Only wish we could get the other tv show now! But Mark tells me it would cost £250!! Whip round anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Just watched Man From the Pru again.
    What a great piece of TV.
    Really well acted and very dark to reflect the seriousness of the crime I thought.

Only wish we could get the other tv show now! But Mark tells me it would cost £250!! Whip round anyone??
    I could put a fiver towards it
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    I could put a fiver towards it
    I'll put a tenner!

count me in for £15
    Celeriter Nil Crede

DaisyChains

The fund is growing!!!

DaisyChains & Rod

You're both making me look like a cheapskate now . Ok I'll make it £20.
    We only need £200 now...
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

DaisyChains & Rod

You're both making me look like a cheapskate now . Ok I'll make it £20.
    We only need £200 now...
    hehe.
    We need to have a fundraiser!

Quote Originally Posted by RodCrosby View Post
    Mark, what books would you recommend as having the most comprehensive treatment of the case?
    Although not book-length I would also recommend the accounts The Murder of Julia Wallace (Dorothy L. Sayers) and William Herbert Wallace (Edgar Lustgarten)
    Last edited by Mark R; 12-27-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Although not book-length I would also recommend the accounts The Murder of Julia Wallace (Dorothy L. Sayers) and William Herbert Wallace (Edgar Lustgarten)
    oohh brilliant
    i have the unsolved one, but not the other

There was a letter in the latest True Detective Monthly commenting on last month's article. In it the correspondent states that she had always believed Wallace guilty only to believe him innocent then guilty again after reading Murphy's The Murder of Julia Wallace. Some of the points she states towards Wallace's guilt are:

1). That 'Qualtrough' wouldn't have known WHW had received the message or that if he did, he might not take on the enterprise, also stating that Wallace might have passed it over to another agent.

Although the first point is a credible argument the latter two aren't. If Wallace could have received a possible substantial commission from the meeting he would hardly hand it over to another agent.

2). That Wallace knew the Menlove area well. He took violin lessons from his boss, and also went to the local park.

While he did take violin lessons and did visit Calderstones Park it could be argued that he didn't know the area well. Indeed Jospeh Crewe didn't know whether Menlove Gardens East existed or not. And also a woman coming out of a house on Menlove Gardens North told him it might be a continuation of 'West.'

3) That the Wallaces were not the loving couple that many believe - none of their close friends said they were and there are no entries in his diaries where Wallace shows any affection for his wife.

This is totally incorrect. James Caird (among others) stated that they appeared to get on quite well. The diaries do show Wallace with affection for Julia. One night when she was late returning Wallace showed considerable concern. He also made reference to their 15 wedding anniversary claiming 'Neither of us regrets the move.'
    Last edited by Mark R; 07-21-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    It is Accomplished

Regarding the 1st point Mark. The killer would have known that Wallace acted on the message if he'd been hiding, lying in wait for the all clear though wouldn't he. Also if it was Parry or another person known to Wallace, ie. the Johnsons etc - they could have made an excuse up of just visiting if they'd found WHW at home and not having acted on the message.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Yes I agree Ged - it is also quite possible (and not an impossibility) that 'Qualtrough' could have entered the Chess Club and seen the message relayed to him there...
    It is Accomplished

Yes I agree Ged - it is also quite possible (and not an impossibility) that 'Qualtrough' could have entered the Chess Club and seen the message relayed to him there...
    Hi Mark

Since as far as I know "Qualtrough" has never been identified, isn't that a possible indication that Wallace's story was a lie?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 36 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast