Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The last posting will self explode after 5 mins in case any fuzz are on line
    this made me actually laugh out loud in work!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Forgive me if it's in this thread, but has anyone staged a trial of Wallace, like the Maybrick one last year?
    Not to my knowledge, but of course Wallace was tried more than once, at the Crown Court and then the Court of Appeal. Also seldom mentioned was the mock trial held by the Prudential Staff Union which unanimously by secret ballot found in his favour and agreed to contribute to his defence fund.
    Wasn't there also a mock trial in the 1960s/70s held in Liverpool legal circles?
    Celeriter Nil Crede

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by RodCrosby View Post
    Not to my knowledge, but of course Wallace was tried more than once, at the Crown Court and then the Court of Appeal. Also seldom mentioned was the mock trial held by the Prudential Staff Union which unanimously by secret ballot found in his favour and agreed to contribute to his defence fund.
    Wasn't there also a mock trial in the 1960s/70s held in Liverpool legal circles?
    That seems to ring a bell.
    I thought I had read something about a trial.

There was a 'mock' trial held by the Medico Legal Society in 1977. I think Wallace was found guilty.
    I think Tom Slemen held a mock trial at St George's Hall in about 2001. Not sure but I think it involved the case against the Johnstons. Incidentally, I wrote to the 08 Culture Company over 2 years ago asking if they would be doing anything connected with the Wallace Case/Trial. I'm still waiting for a reply
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    There was a 'mock' trial held by the Medico Legal Society in 1977. I think Wallace was found guilty.
    I think Tom Slemen held a mock trial at St George's Hall in about 2001. Not sure but I think it involved the case against the Johnstons. Incidentally, I wrote to the 08 Culture Company over 2 years ago asking if they would be doing anything connected with the Wallace Case/Trial. I'm still waiting for a reply
    Hmmm I wouldn't hold your breath there Mark!

We should set something up for the summer.

In the excellent web page
    Chess and the Wallace Murder Case
    http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/wallace.html
    the author states.
    "A curious reference which we are currently unable to explain appears on page 48 of Six Trials by Winifred Duke (London, 1934): ‘... Mr Qualtrough, whose real name was subsequently suspected to be Harris.’ "

I have emailed the author with this advice.
    "Perhaps Miss Duke, conscious of the libel laws in 1934, can be forgiven for being a little cryptic. The common Welsh surname "Harris" means "son of Harry", and the common Welsh surname Parry also means "son of Harry" [Ap Harry]...."
    http://genealogy.about.com/library/s...ame-HARRIS.htm
    http://www.searchforancestors.com/su...in/p/parry.php

More to the point, it thus appears that as early as 1934, Parry was suspected of being Qualtrough, and came as close to being named in print as the libel laws allowed...
    Celeriter Nil Crede

Hi Ged,

yes, I have been critical of Murphy's but I think it is well written and researched and, like you say, very atmospheric. The Wilkes book is excellent as well, as is what most people regard as the cornerstone Wallace Case book -The Killing of Julia Wallace by Jonathan Goodman.

That Vincent Burke DVD you mention - is that a radio broadcast from Radio Merseyside? I have a CD of the Radio Merseyside programme. He is inaccurate on quite a few facts on it though..

Could we find her though?

I'm here !

One thing regarding John Parkes' statement (to Roger Wilkes in 1981) that I don't think anyone has really commented on..."he started rambling again about a bar which he'd hidden outside a doctor's house in Priory Rd. He said he'd dropped it down a grid outside the house..."

Well in 1931 there was a doctor in Priory Rd. In fact there were two...
    The first was, of all people, the Wallaces' own doctor, Dr. Louis Curwen, who lived at Number 111.
    The second was Dr. George Thomson Bogle, who lived at Number 9.

Outside both houses are drainage grids. If anyone fancies going up there with some picks and crowbars, I'm game!
    Bogle was our family doctor. My grandmother knew Dr Bogle snr. then his son Ian took over the practice in later years ( it's not so long ago Dr Ian Bogle retired). The original practice was on Priory rd/corner of Argyle rd, that's where it was for decades, but in recent years relocated along LowerBreck rd.

The other doctors which used to be Curwen is further along Priory rd towards Arkles lane end.

Mark, ask the older members of your family - - all Anfielders knew the Bogles.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/386234.stm

Don't be shouting 'I'm here' to the old bill when keeping dixie for us though Lindy

Welcome back.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default WHW

A photo of Wallace taken in May 1931:
    Last edited by Mark R; 12-27-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    It is Accomplished

A good un that one Mark, you do find them don't you.

I didn't find it Ged - DaisyChains put me onto it!! Wish we could find one of Julia though...
    It is Accomplished

Well done DC then. Yes JW ones hard to come by.

DaisyChains

I didn't find it Ged - DaisyChains put me onto it!! Wish we could find one of Julia though...
    thanks mark

Where did that pic come from ?

Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast