Page 32 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

Quote Originally Posted by RodCrosby View Post
    Another question, Mark.

In the photo of the crime scene (taken from the doorway) there is a cushion on the chaise-longue which looks squashed, as if someone has been recently sitting there. I understand the forensics indicated Julia had been sitting (rather uncomfortably) on the chair to the left of the fireplace.
    Was there ever any speculation at the trial or in later books on the significance of the squashed cushion?
    Hi Rod,

I haven't read of anything concerning the squashed cushion on the chaise-longue. You're right in stating that MacFall believed Julia was sitting in the chair to the left of the fireplace. He came to the conclusion because there was no blood on the chair seat. I don't believe she was sitting when struck - I think the scenario puts her somewhere in front of the fire - there were scorch marks on the skirt and mackintosh - I think she was hit then fell onto the fire.
    My own personal hunch (although I don't really like naming anyone who cannot defend themselves) is Marsden. I could be ****ing in the wind here but I have a strange feeling...
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Great reading a debate about the case guys!

So come on Rod. Pray tell!
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Mark, the John Wilfred Marsden, insurance agent, who lived at 55 Knoclaid Rd was probably born at Prescot, near Liverpool in early 1886, making him 45 at the time of the murder. The Marsden that Wallace mentions is described as aged "about 28 years of age", so it's unlikely to be him, although they could be related, possibly even father and son if Wallace's estimate of his age was a tad too high. Do we know the first name of the Marsden that Wallace mentioned?

Do we know for how long the Anfield Housebreaker had been at work in the district prior to the murder?

I am interested in Parry's movements on Monday 19th January as described by Lily and Josephine Lloyd's statements in the DPP file. Where could I get access to the File?
    Celeriter Nil Crede

Another question.
    Is it recorded by the Police whether on first examination the toilet seat and lid were in the up or down position? The photo showing the clot is obviously with the seat (and lid) up, but I'd like to know whether they were originally in that position....
    Celeriter Nil Crede

An interesting fact re Parry. Murphy intimates that if Parry was Qualtrough it would have been more logical for him to have struck a week earlier, perhaps by passing a note through Wallace's door on Monday 12th January.

Except that Monday 12th January 1931 just happened to be Richard Gordon Parry's 22nd birthday........
    Celeriter Nil Crede

Default re Parry

That is another weakness in the Murphy book. If Parry had dropped a note to Wallace his handwriting would have been recognised.

Mark you have echoed what I have always thought Julia was killed whilst standing in front of or lighting the fire.
    Don't be telling us too much about your theory we would rather wait for your book.

cheers
    Steve
    All The Best
    Steve

Mark, the John Wilfred Marsden, insurance agent, who lived at 55 Knoclaid Rd was probably born at Prescot, near Liverpool in early 1886, making him 45 at the time of the murder. The Marsden that Wallace mentions is described as aged "about 28 years of age", so it's unlikely to be him, although they could be related, possibly even father and son if Wallace's estimate of his age was a tad too high. Do we know the first name of the Marsden that Wallace mentioned?
    That is one of the puzzling things regarding Marsden. I can tell you right now that in his statement Wallace claimed Marsden as being about 28 years of age (which you correctly state). In the police records (which I have accessed) the Marsden that is listed was mentioned as working for the Prudential about 23 years ago (Making him considerably more than 28)...

Do we know for how long the Anfield Housebreaker had been at work in the district prior to the murder?
    I am interested in Parry's movements on Monday 19th January as described by Lily and Josephine Lloyd's statements in the DPP file. Where could I get access to the File?
    The records I have of the housebreaker (from the police file) are from 1929-1931. The Lloyd's statements are not among those held by Merseyside Police. I am hoping to get down to Kew and view the files there. As regarding the toilet seat...It is possible of course that the seat could have been down. Let's not forget that Julia had a chest infection/cold. It is possible that she could have coughed blood up previously to the 20th January.
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-29-2008 at 10:17 AM.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by steve miller View Post
    That is another weakness in the Murphy book. If Parry had dropped a note to Wallace his handwriting would have been recognised.

Mark you have echoed what I have always thought Julia was killed whilst standing in front of or lighting the fire.
    Don't be telling us too much about your theory we would rather wait for your book.

cheers
    Steve
    I'll try not to Steve!
    It is Accomplished

Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    In the police records (which I have accessed) the Marsden that is listed was mentioned as working for the Prudential about 23 years ago (Making him considerably more than 28)...
    That makes no sense at all. Wallace was not even in Liverpool 23 years before. Are you sure it doesn't say "2-3 years ago" ? That would chime with Wallace's second statement that Marsden had been a Pru agent for "two or three years" prior to helping with Wallace's work in December 1928.

The records I have of the housebreaker (from the police file) are from 1928-1931. The Lloyd's statements are not among those held by Merseyside Police. I am hoping to get down to Kew and view the files there. As regarding the toilet seat...It is possible of course that the seat could have been down. Let's not forget that Julia had a chest infection/cold. It is possible that she could have coughed blood up previously to the 20th January.
    Murphy states the housebreaker had only been at work for a few months, albeit in the Richmond Park area....

Another question. How long had Parry been driving a car prior to the murder?
    Celeriter Nil Crede

Thanks Mark
    That makes no sense at all. Wallace was not even in Liverpool 23 years before. Are you sure it doesn't say "2-3 years ago" ? That would chime with Wallace's second statement that Marsden had been a Pru agent for "two or three years" prior to helping with Wallace's work in December 1928.
    No. It is the police record stating 23 years ago (not 2-3 years ago). I was puzzled by it but might have an idea...

Murphy states the housebreaker had only been at work for a few months, albeit in the Richmond Park area....?
    The housebreaker had been active for considerably longer than Murphy states. But then again, Murphy is rather economical with the truth

Another question. How long had Parry been driving a car prior to the murder?
    I know John Parkes said that Parry used to drive what he (Parkes) described as a 'Swift' (it is actually mentioned in The Man From The Pru as well). Apparently Parry took it to Atkinsons Garage to have the engine overhauled. The company had great difficulty getting the money off him for it. As for how long he'd been driving - not sure exactly.
    It is Accomplished

No. It is the police record stating 23 years ago (not 2-3 years ago). I was puzzled by it but might have an idea...
    I have grave doubts about that, Mark. It's almost certainly a typo in the record. The Police would not talk about something happening "23 years ago." It's meaningless. They would talk about something that happened "in 1907 or 1908." I bet any copper could confirm that.

What was the first name of Wallace's Marsden? I am a genealogist, and may be able to help out with some research...
    Celeriter Nil Crede

The clincher, supposedly, for Wallace's innocence was the fact that on the night before the murder Wallace won his chess game against McCartney...
    The argument goes that a man planning the perfect murder would not have been able to concentrate on his game.... Sounds quite persuasive to me...
    Last edited by RodCrosby; 03-01-2008 at 03:03 AM.
    Celeriter Nil Crede

I have grave doubts about that, Mark. It's almost certainly a typo in the record. The Police would not talk about something happening "23 years ago." It's meaningless. They would talk about something that happened "in 1907 or 1908." I bet any copper could confirm that.
    I don't think it is a typo. If they are noting that the Marsden on the report worked for the Prudential (and it was 23 years previous) I think they would mention it.
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-29-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    It is Accomplished

The clincher, supposedly, for Wallace's innocence was the fact that on the night before the murder Wallace won his chess game against Chandler...
    The argument goes that a man planning the perfect murder would not have been able to concentrate on his game.... Sounds quite persuasive to me...
    The problem is that people have tried to find clinchers for all this time and there are none. And, as is de rigeur for this case, evidence can point both ways: it could equally be argued that the planning of the murder was well established in his mind by that point and that chess was helping his methodology and strategic thinking all along. The whole shebang (unfortunate choice of noun there) was just human chess after all.
    Last edited by AntiPathos; 02-29-2008 at 09:19 AM.

Page 32 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast