Page 28 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

Weird...Was it the book on the Wallace Case? (Like lindylou said it is probably the best book on the case).
    I was hoping to go down to London over the last year or so to meet up with him. When I wrote to him two years ago he asked me down to see him - then he became ill. Alas it was never meant to be...

It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Weird...Was it the book on the Wallace Case? (Like lindylou said it is probably the best book on the case).
    I was hoping to go down to London over the last year or so to meet up with him. When I wrote to him two years ago he asked me down to see him - then he became ill. Alas it was never meant to be...
    Wow Mark....That's so sad.
    It shows you that you really do have to take the chances to see these great people when you can.
    I am sure he would fully approve of your book!

I am not actually reading the Wallace book. I am reading 'The Seaside Murders' which he edited.

Sorry you missed your chance to meet him Mark.

Thanks DaisyChains thanks lindylou.

I know you mentioned Richard Whittington-Egan on another thread DC; did you know that he accompanied Goodman in 1966 when he (Goodman) confronted Richard Gordon Parry outside his (Parry's) house? Goodman said he took Whittington-Egan with him as a bodyguard as much as anything else
    Anyway, Parry laughed off the idea that he was the killer of Julia Wallace.
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Thanks DaisyChains thanks lindylou.

I know you mentioned Richard Whittington-Egan on another thread DC; did you know that he accompanied Goodman in 1966 when he (Goodman) confronted Richard Gordon Parry outside his (Parry's) house? Goodman said he took Whittington-Egan with him as a bodyguard as much as anything else
    Anyway, Parry laughed off the idea that he was the killer of Julia Wallace.
    Hiya Mark
    I did know thay yes!
    Goodman and Whittington Egan were good pals

Default Jonathan Goodman

His book The Killing of Julia Wallace was published in 1969. A revised and updated paperback edition was released in 1987.
    Last edited by Mark R; 12-27-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

His book The Killing of Julia Wallace was published in 1969. A revised and updated paperback edition was released in 1987.
    Brilliant pics Mark.
    Hows your book coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Brilliant pics Mark.
    Thanks DaisyChains

Goodman became fascinated with the Wallace Case while working at the Liverpool Playhouse Theatre in the 1960's. Interesting fact: he was actually born 2 days before the Qualtrough telephone call was made (and three days before Julia's murder) - 17th January 1931.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Hows your book coming along?
    Still doing bits here and there with it. I'm researching the genealogy side of it. I've found out that Wallace's brother Joseph was born 17th December 1879. Other sources had only ever stated that he was born in 1880 (with no specific month or day).

I mentioned on the Maybrick thread about the National Archives publishing the book on Crippen - I wrote to them about releasing a volume on the Wallace Case (I'd even have a go at it). But I haven't heard anything yet.
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-03-2008 at 11:10 PM.
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Thanks DaisyChains

Goodman became fascinated with the Wallace Case while working at the Liverpool Playhouse Theatre in the 1960's. Interesting fact: he was actually born 2 days before the Qualtrough telephone call was made (and three days before Julia's murder) - 17th January 1931.

Still doing bits here and there with it. I'm researching the genealogy side of it. I've found out that Wallace's brother Joseph was born 17th December 1879. Other sources had only ever stated that he was born in 1880 (with no specific month or day).

I mentioned on the Maybrick thread about the National Archives publishing the book on Crippen - I wrote to them about releasing a volume on the Wallace Case (I'd even have a go at it). But I haven't heard anything yet.
    Fascinating stuff Mark.

I think you will get a really good response when you eventually publish it.
    Can't wait!

Thanks DaisyChains. I hope so. I hope it gets published!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the bookshop Reid on Mount Pleasant has copies of the following:

The Killing of Julia Wallace (Goodman) HB (no dust jacket though) £10
    The Final Verdict (Roger Wilkes) HB
    Two Studies in Crime (Lord Russell & Wallace cases) (Yseult Bridges) HB
    The Murder of Julia Wallace (James Murphy) PB £5

Not sure of the price of the Wilkes & Bridges editions...
    Last edited by Mark R; 02-04-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    It is Accomplished

DaisyChains

Thanks DaisyChains

Thanks DaisyChains. I hope so. I hope it gets published!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the bookshop Reid on Mount Pleasant has copies of the following:

The Killing of Julia Wallace (Goodman) HB (no dust jacket though) £10
    The Final Verdict (Roger Wilkes) HB
    Two Studies in Crime (Lord Russell & Wallace cases) (Yseult Bridges) HB
    The Murder of Julia Wallace (James Murphy) PB £5

Not sure of the price of the Wilkes & Bridges editions...
    I went in there over Xmas, and Reid had a Wallace book, I think it was well over £10.

Default True Detective Magazine

This month's issue. It features a nine-page article in the Notable British Trials series. The Wallace Trial is the subject. There are also 21 photographs.

It is Accomplished

I remember the Roger Wilkes Radio City programme in the 1970s, Parry was pretty much named as the murderer if I remember correctly as just before they were about to confront him, he died.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I remember the Roger Wilkes Radio City programme in the 1970s, Parry was pretty much named as the murderer if I remember correctly as just before they were about to confront him, he died.
    That's right Ged - they were making the radio show in the latter half of 1980 (for the 50th anniversary in '81). Wilkes located Parry living in North Wales but found out he had died on 14th April, 1980. I've got that radio show - it is very well made - Pete Postlethwaite plays the part of WHW.
    It is Accomplished

Yes, agree.. when your book comes out MarkR., we will all be waiting to read your masterpiece...

Bravo for your hard work and dedication to your passion .

Page 28 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast