WHW could even admitted to the murder or to his part in the murder (with Parry as an accomplice) on his deathbed, never mind not having to face double jeapardy. WHW used to go on quite walks with Julia into the park, he had an amatuer laboratory - far easier ways for her to meet her end than to be bludgeoned with blood everywhere.

I like Murphy's book for its atmosphere, he also discovered the age gap (even if the captions to one of the pics in the book showing the marriage cert is incorrect) but i'm afraid his cherry picking of the Parry statement to provide the conclusion that the murderer was WHW was unprofessional and as bad a failure to investigate all possibilities as was the police in 1931. Murphy overly makes too much of it being dark on that night and criminal profiling too. If we now add what we know about Parry's true statement into that book, it gives a whole new dimension to the conclusion.

I did once think that the murder could have been commited at anytime WHW was known to be out, even on the monday night while he was at the chess club but can only come to the conclusion that if he'd just gone there to play the game and get back home to his ill wife as soon as possible, this may only have allowed a shorter period of time to commit the murder.

I'm still at odds to how the murderer knew for sure that WHW got the message and actually went to Allerton. It would have meant two vantage points having to be covered and in the fog and dark too.