Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1511

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Interesting info all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Tom Slemen has a new book out called Murders on Merseyside.

There are 14 pages dedicated to the murder of Julia Wallace, the chapter is titled 'Who killed Julia Wallace'.

Just as in a newspaper article some time ago Tom points the finger at the next door neighbours, the Johnstons.

Apparently a man called Stan told Tom's detective friend Keith Andrews that upon his deathbed at Kirkdale Homes institution, Jack Johnston admitted his guilt. He and his wife Florence had taken the Wallaces cat, Puss and it was their intention to lure Julia to their house to get it, whereby Jack could then burgle the house for the insurance takings. However, on the night that Wallace was heading for the Menlove Gardens area, the Johnstons seen what they thought was Julia ccompanying him on the journey as she went into the alleyway with the mackintosh around her.

Actually she was only walking William Wallace to the back gate and then took a look along the alley, looking for the cat but the Johnstons didn't see her return, according to Tom. This left the way clear for Jack and Florence to use their key to gain entrance into the Wallace's (but why the couldn't have just done that anyway at some other time they were both out on one of their walks in the park etc isn't explained)

Upon entering the parlour, having used a jemmy to prise open the cabinet door in the kitchen, the Johnstons were shocked to find Julia sitting there with the mackintosh around her (she had a cold remember), no doubt wondering why they were in her house and did the only thing now open to them to do because she had seen them and kill her.

I would have thought that if this scenario was likely and the Johnstons are now confronted with Julia (Who they thought was out) that they could have thought on their feet and came up with the notion that either they'd found the cat and had knocked but got no answer, or that they'd heard a noise and assuming both were out, came around with a jemmy in case they came across the Anfield burglar or just some other fanciful story.

We know the Johnstons moved to their eldest daughters next day, something they claimed was just coincidental and arranged some time earlier. Tom makes the most of this, claiming it was because they'd committed the murder but that surely would have pointed them into spotlight.

Furthermore, Tom claims that irnoically, Hemmerde who was prosecuting Wallace, had an inkling or more all along that it was in fact the Johnstons who were guilty as seen in his questioning of them, about not beleiving they'd only ever been in the Wallaces 3 times in 10 years, and always only ever saw Julia alone.

It is also claimed that some years later, Florence Johnston was talking to a neighbour or passer by at her gate and Jack who was eavesdropping from the hallway heard her talking of the murder case. Jack ordered Florence in who was next seen sporting 2 black eyes. A little while later she died of an embolism when she complained of a headache during the night but Jack just told her to go back to sleep.

Tom goes on to report that the Johnstons were not in the best state moneywise which could have been the motive.

What do our amateur sleuths think?

Right, read a bit more of this today in the bookshop. I'll eventually finish it.

TS states that the 18ft escape route from the Wallaces to the Johnston's next door accounts for the lack of eye witness accounts as to the whereabouts of the murderer that night. The Johnston's grandchildren maintain there were 6 people in their house though that night.

It is mentioned too that residents in Wolverton Street has keys that fitted each others door locks. It is known that a drunken Mr Cadwallader once startled Julia when mistakenly entering the Wallaces by this method. As we know, William Wallace was confronted with his doors being locked against him upon his return from Allerton. Jack Johnston asked him to go around to the front door to try again 'while we wait here'. Mysteriously the back door opened for Wallace when he got back around to the back - was this because Jack Johnston opened it with his key while he was around the front?

Was it only the front door yale locks that some neighbours keys fitted though?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Jack Johnston asked him to go around to the front door to try again 'while we wait here'. Mysteriously the back door opened for Wallace when he got back around to the back - was this because Jack Johnston opened it with his key while he was around the front?
    Does Slemen say that Johnston said that Ged? That is wrong. When they were standing by the backyard door Johnston said to Wallace to have a look inside and they would wait. Wallace didn't go back around to the front. He walked up to the scullery door, looked over his shoulder and said "She won't be out. She has such a cold." He then tried the door which opened quite easily according to the Johnston's testimony.
    It is Accomplished

I'll have to make sure, he makes large of the duplicate keys and it suddenly being able to open. The trouble with reading it in the shop is, the assistant keeps looking over as much to say 'Are you going to buy that book or what' ha ha.

I think it was mentioned before in the thread, that if the back door was unlocked, and Wallace tried to use his key to unlock it he may have locked it himself, so when he tried again with Mr and Mrs Johnston by his side he then unlocked it and gained access.

Quote Originally Posted by Prefrab View Post
    I think it was mentioned before in the thread, that if the back door was unlocked, and Wallace tried to use his key to unlock it he may have locked it himself, so when he tried again with Mr and Mrs Johnston by his side he then unlocked it and gained access.
    The problem with that Prefab is that both Jack and FloJo said that Wallace didn't open it with his key - they claimed he just walked up, turned the handle and said; 'It opens now.' (although it could be argued that he did use his key and they just didn't see him use it!) I'm sure Slemen would say he wouldn't believe either of the Johnston's testimony
    It is Accomplished

I'll have to make sure, he makes large of the duplicate keys and it suddenly being able to open. The trouble with reading it in the shop is, the assistant keeps looking over as much to say 'Are you going to buy that book or what' ha ha.
    Your efforts are appreciated Ged..........

The trouble with reading it in the shop is, the assistant keeps looking over as much to say 'Are you going to buy that book or what' ha ha.

The trouble with reading it in the shop is, the assistant keeps looking over as much to say 'Are you going to buy that book or what' ha ha.
    I'm sure the Liverpool 1 Waterstones at the back of Church St encourages browsers. When I was last in there they had seats in the local section!
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    I'm sure the Liverpool 1 Waterstones at the back of Church St encourages browsers. When I was last in there they had seats in the local section!
    But Ged was in his dressing gown , slippers and had a a cup of Horlicks

I can just picture it !

Blog Entries

Has this case been solved ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    Has this case been solved ?
    What? whether I was in my dressing gown and slippers with a cup of horlicks?

Most certainly not sir!!!

Blog Entries

You should be arrested for posing a man of means, I mean, a dressing gown, have you no shame !

Page 85 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast