Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1511

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

I think TS is just throwing yet another theory "based on hearsay" from "somebody who knows somebody" into the mix to sell another one of his books. In all the books and articles I have read on the subject the neighbours were dismissed immediately as suspects.
    Didn't the Johnston's children/grandchildren complain the last time TS alluded to the Johnstons as the murderers?

So Tom Slemen must believe the Johnstons came up with the elaborate Qualtrough plan?

Well if Tom Slemen says so - I believe!

He does indeed Lizzie, saying that Mr Johnston made the call, he admitted it to Stan - apparently?

Prefab, that is correct that the relatives of the Johnstons, whom MarkR and myself met at a talk on the subject a year or so ago were very angry about the accusations which is why I was surprised they appeared in the book, though i'm sure TS would have checked out that it was quite alright and proper to include everu possible angle.

With this theory though comes the ruling out of absolutely everything we've ever discussed about Parry - unless he was in on it to with the Johnstons but he goes unmentioned by TS.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Tom Slemen has a knack for telling a good tale... but I thought this was supposed to be an historical investigation...

Well John, he'll no doubt tell you his take on it is worth the paper it's written on. MarkR has told me he is sure that Mr Johnston was at work on the docks when the Qualtrough call was made, I wasn't even aware he was questioned so thoroughly but Mark is THE MAN on this subject.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

The interest in this case never ceases to amaze.....not sure if this has been posted before but...........

(good apart form the footy result!)

My night of passion with Celtic sleuth
    By Clive Tyldesley 12:00AM GMT 31 Dec 2001

This may not be the best time for me to confess to my part in an illicit night out that Martin O'Neill once enjoyed on the eve of a match on Merseyside. I have lived with the secret for more than 20 years, and it might seem a little opportunist to be suddenly spilling the beans on the eve of Celtic's UEFA Cup quarter-final against Liverpool, and amid scurrilous speculation that O'Neill is himself Anfield bound. But I can remain quiet for no longer.

It was in 1981, and Norwich City were staying at the Holiday Inn in Paradise Street for a Friday night rest ahead of a crucial relegation match at Everton. I surreptitiously spirited O'Neill out of the hotel following the team's evening meal, and drove him to an unassuming terraced house in Wolverton Street, Anfield, less than a mile from the Liverpool ground. I did not enter the property with him, but waited in my car until he had completed his business. We then proceeded to two other addresses in the city before I returned him to the hotel around 10pm.

Mercifully, Norwich did win the match at Goodison the following day, but my conscience now feels duty bound to report that there was a woman involved.

That the poor lady in question had been murdered at the house some 50 years earlier is the clue to O'Neill's secret visit. The Celtic manager had once embarked upon a law degree course at Queen's University in Belfast but football came calling on his young life and whisked him away to win a Championship and a European Cup in Nottingham. He has never lost his fascination with crime and justice, though.

Legal eagles will tell you that the killing of Julia Wallace in the front room of 29 Wolverton Street in 1931 gave rise to the extraordinary precedent of a jury's guilty verdict being overturned by the Court of Appeal. Learned reconsideration decided that her husband, William, could not have butchered her to death, then raced to a nearby tram stop during the 25-minute window between sightings of him. I can only agree. How come? Well, Martin took me to the site of that tram stop, and then led me on a wild goose chase for an imaginary road called Menlove Gardens East that was a crucial part of William Wallace's dubious alibi. It was a long and fascinating night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/477...ic-sleuth.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    He does indeed Lizzie, saying that Mr Johnston made the call, he admitted it to Stan - apparently?

Prefab, that is correct that the relatives of the Johnstons, whom MarkR and myself met at a talk on the subject a year or so ago were very angry about the accusations which is why I was surprised they appeared in the book, though i'm sure TS would have checked out that it was quite alright and proper to include everu possible angle.

With this theory though comes the ruling out of absolutely everything we've ever discussed about Parry - unless he was in on it to with the Johnstons but he goes unmentioned by TS.
    Thanks for that Ged I suppose similar to Parry being named it was only done after they died as you can't libel the deceased, look forward to reading it though as it has been said TS tells a good tale

I bet there's no evidence to support Tom Slemen's pointing the finger at Mr Johnston. If I was related to Mr Johnston I'd be absolutely furious at this story. I'm sorry if there are any TS fans on here, but personally I think his books are rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    If I was related to Mr Johnston I'd be absolutely furious at this story. I'm sorry if there are any TS fans on here, but personally I think his books are rubbish.
    The same thing applies with the Marsden family
    It is Accomplished

Why don't we wait and see? Maybe there's more factual evidence linking Marsden to the crime....give the book its fair shot. I'll be the first to criticize it if there's not supporting evidence. But as of now we don't know...whereas with Slemen we know he has no facts just a bizarre hearsay and poorly fleshed out theory.

Anyways, the Johnston theory boggles the mind with its sheer implausibility...if I was a relative of his...I'd just let the poorly constructed theory speak for itself....I mean a cat as a lure...really? I'd say of all the theories out there...this is the most ridiculous.

The Johnston's moved out the next day which is probably what directed Slemen to this. Besides that, there's nothing that even hints at their guilt. And you could argue that they would never move out if guilty. Most likely, they couldn't stand living next to a constant murder investigation.

Jack Johnston? I thought the guy was called John?

Ah, found Geds site about it and that says Jack. Was Ts calling him John at first?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Jack Johnston? I thought the guy was called John?

Ah, found Geds site about it and that says Jack. Was Ts calling him John at first?
    Max, his name was John but he was also known as Jack. His full name was John Sharpe Johnston. I'm sure Slemen has slipped from one to the other through time.
    It is Accomplished

Jack is often used as a nickname for John, like the way Peggy is a nickname for Margaret.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Max, his name was John but he was also known as Jack. His full name was John Sharpe Johnston. I'm sure Slemen has slipped from one to the other through time.
    Ah, I was just reading that thread as well and spotted your post with Johnston's full name and thought he got the name wrong.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 83 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast