Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1511

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

Default TOM "solves" the case

[QUOTE=IAN DAVID FRYER;375415]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I too have just bought Tom Slemen's book - Murder on Merseyside, published by regular Yo Contributor Colin Wilkinson of Bluecoat Press.

A couple of things ive notice right away is that TS says WHW attended the chess club almost every week though he had missed several weeks before the murder which may prove to be vital (as in would Qualthrough had known he was definitely going that night and thereby receive his message. The chess tie he was due to play meant nothing as he'd missed previous ones and was playing catch up. However, I wonder if this tie HAD to be played by that night or he'd forfeit his place?

I will report back. What did you conclude of it Ian, I notice you call it a fantasy.

Hi Ged.. YES as a pure "pot-boiler" its not a bad read..I'm actually interested in one or two of the other murders covered(ie.The Hanging-Boy Case in Edge Lane in 1948) With his WALLACE chapter, I wish he'd have just covered the case with as much as is known at present..instead of trying to solve it...especially fingering the JOHNSTON's..with no evidence whatsoever... he might just as well as "fingered" poor Alan Close the milkboy or Hubert Moore ..hence in my opinion... "FANTASY"!! Your point about WHW not being too regular at the Chess Club in the previous weeks is a good one.You know I feel PARRY is QUALTROUGH(he ticks all the boxes!)...but if he was in league with WHW,then he must have had prior knowledge that WHW would be presnt about 7.45..& so the alibi begins.... FJumble
    Hi again GED.I recently picked up a fine 1969 1st edn copy of GOODMAN in nice dustjacket,a book I've been after for a long time.I checked my existing copy & its a 1976 "Revised" edn..though I cant see any difference..no obvious changes to lay-out or Illust etc.I know I have a recent paperback edn. somewhere which might possibly have been updated(?) Anyway,in the back of my old 1976 book I found the TOM SLEMEN original newspaper article from 2001(I cant believe its 10 years ago!!) & the headline screams"WE SOLVE WALLACE MURDER RIDDLE"..which of course is a bit different to the conclusion of his piece in MURDER MERSEYSIDE which ends with : "It would of course be terribly arrogant of me to claim that I had solved the Wallace Murder Case." You're telling me!! IAN

I noticed that too Ian. I think Tom uses a bit of poetic licence in his assumptions of what the Johnston's and Wallaces said and thought at times, probably putting his own spin on it. I've added his 'findings' onto the Wallace page on my site simply because I wouldn't do a dis-service to anybody that's had a go at solving the case and it is another avenue that's been explored. As with the other avenues, i've tried not to sway the reader one way or the other so as they can try to make their own minds up.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by JGannon View Post
    Attachment 23637

Hi all - bit of an exclusive! Just recieved book cover from Amerley. We all really pushing forward to get the book out in time for Xmas. Just got to proof the book itself then all done (hopefully).

Warmest

John Gannon
    Looking good! Hope it's ready for Christmas.

Good book cover

And a bold statement to go with it too 'Finally Solved'. I eagerly await..............

That sounds good.

Thanks JOHN..just noticed update...thats even better than Jan....I sure hope its out next month!! I like the dustjacket very much,but what happened to "The Devil In The Detail" title...is it now subtitled on the title page??? IAN(FJumble)

Hi all.

Some more news: should have an article in the Echo this Xmas about another old Liverpool case; John G

I'm intrigued what is the other case, as the 50th anniversary of the "Murder in the fog" is in December

Ian - thank you for your comment. The 'Devil in the Detail' is there - on the title page. It just wouldn't fit on the cover or spine! Don't worry - I was guttet too. But it is there. And once the web sites update it will be there: 'The Killing of Julia Wallace: The Devil in the Detail'.
    Thanks JOHN,thats good,as you know I like the full title!! Your publishers website needs updating as well as it doesnt even mention your new book ...unlike the forthcoming "LEGAL" book. Incidentally,I hope this other January release looks at the trial itself,as that is worth a book on its own!! How on earth Hemmerade got a "GUILTY" verdict on the evidence presented is almost as big a mystery as the killer's identity!!!The jury must have been already convinced it was WHW,because the prosecution certainly proved nothing..Cant wait to read your book..Good Luck with sales..hope its a Best-Seller!! Regards IAN(FJumble)

The jury was sourced local enough to have read the papers which unlike today, carried the story as it unfolded with no press blackout. I think they did already have their murderer hung.

An index. Something Murphy's was lacking but Goodman's/Wilkes' comes in very handy.

YES,I agree any reference book without an index is troublesome! In anticiapation of JOHN'S new book I have been re-reading some of the earlier pieces on the case..& there are many! The "old-timers" generally adopt the "official police line" that even though it was surely impossible for WHW to have battered JULIA to death,because of the obvious time difficulty & complete lack of blood etc.then he somehow must have done it because it couldnt be anyone else. I have just read the chapter on the case in the MAMMOTH BOOK OF UNSOLVED CRIMES(edited by ROGER WILKES no less!)Its by F.TENNYSON JESSE,from 1951 & states its the first time its been published.Its very good & very fair ..but in conclusion she says he must have done it very quickly ,in a frenzy & washed himself in the sink in the scullery & caught the tram...hmmm It wasnt till GOODMAN(1969) that a viable alternative suspect(Mr.X) was discovered,
    because,JG,very sensibly decided from the outset IT COULD NOT POSSIBLY have been WHW, so he concentrated on how/who else could be the murderer.When WILKES in 1981 on Radio City & the subsequent book developed the theme first naming RICHARD GORDON PARRY with Jonathan Goodman,progress was being made...but as JG stresses,they didnt have access to the Police File & crucial WITNESS STATEMENTS. Lets hope THE DEVIL IN THE DETAIL moves things on again.....IAN(FJumble)

I am sure this thread will be resurrected fairly substantially after the release of the 2 new books next month.

I still cannot see past Parry due to the findings of Goodman/Egan when confronting him nor the statements of the Atkinsons or John Parkes who all must have been lying. Then there is Parry's false statement?

The police made plenty of mistakes. Those still thinking it was WHW could say the police may have botched up the examinations of the bath/sink and that he did have a wash?

Thanks GED .. lets hope the thread goes mad again shortly! YES, as you know I too cant see past PARRY as Qualtrough..he ticks every box... As we've said previously,it only need one witness to spot the most distinctive figure of WHW leaving the phone-box..& he was a very familiar sight locally...yet the police couldnt find one and yet they made no effort to trace fellow passengers on the tram going to the chess club meeting! Poor LILY HALL was adamant she saw,& clearly recognised WHW talking to another man just prior to the murder..shame she broke down so badly in the witness box.
    One good point JESSE makes is that the cold aloof WHW was not liked & was instantly disliked by the jury & that it was a bad mistake by the defence to allow him into the box to give evidence. IAN(FJumble)

They didn't time his tram journey to the chess club on the Qualtrough phone call night either.

Aside all that. They obviously didn't check out Parry's statement against lily Lloyd's nor take Parkes' statement seriously - including checking the grids (nor Close's) timings - probably because they thought they had their man and anything else was just in the way of that agenda.

Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast