Page 88 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1511

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

GED,I wonder if the defence itself tried to find any passengers/witnesses on the journey to North John Street...if they had, surely it could have weakened the police's belief that WHW was himself Qualtrough-though I think BEATTIE did that for them anyway at the trial. Certainly the Radio re-enactment clearly implied strong police pressure by Hubert Moore being applied to young Alan Close to bring his timing back to 6.30 ish to make the scenario just about possible......possible maybe, but still, I would suggest, only by someone like Spring-Heeled Jack & with the luck of the devil!!! Incidentally,going back to JESSE,I remember MARKR covering the "washing away of the blood" at Wolverton Street by pointing out that,on this point alone the police were very thorough..removing all the pipes,toilet fittings,drains etc....and, of course, even in those days the benzadrine test was very accurate.We can surely safely assume NOBODY washed away any blood in the house itself. IAN(FJumble)

Yet the police had used the very toilet upon entering the address that a blood clot was later found on. I too think the defence could have been more thorough for WHW, especially in checking out Parry's/Lloyd's statements themselves after WHW pointed him out as a suspect. Perhaps only if Parkes and the Atkinson's had made their findings known to to Wallace's counsel too instead of just the police who poo pooed it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

As you said earlier Ged, the Police believed they had the right person, and failed to pursue other evidence. I am looking forward to reading John's book and hope that new information comes to light.

Having said this, the knowledge on this thread is brilliant - and I've learned so much.

Just been reading on a genealogy site that the surname Qualtrough derives from the Isle of Man and means Son of Walter.

Wasn't the other neighbours name Walter Holmes?

I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

ALAN CLOSE was 16 in Jan.1931..so not a child. Going back to the pressure the police applied to CLOSE to change his timing back 15 min.to 6.30 pm. Its interesting to compare the contrast between the cocky "I'm the missing link" ALAN CLOSE when with the group of fellow youngsters on the Wed.evening ...to the surly hostile young man who gave evidence in court..where he completely denied everything he had said previously to the other children concerning the timing & events on the murder night.As we know,poor Alan Close lost his life in WW2,but it would have been great if he could have been asked why the complete difference in the two versions of the murder night events.All 3 of the children(14 year olds,so not primary school age)gave evidence that CLOSE clearly told them he delivered the fresh milk to JULIA at about 6.45pm.Of course the ECHO had wrongly printed that WHW had left home at 6.15 & McFaul originally had the time of death at 6.00 at the latest..later brought forward to suit the police's "it must be Wallace" solution.It seems clear to me that JULIA was therefore murdered AFTER 6.45..and therefore AFTER WHW had left for his tram journey to Menlove Gdns...IAN(FJumble)

I didn't know about the Echo misprinting the time WHWleft the house or if i've read it, i've forgotten it but don't think I have. That of course could further have swayed the jury.

Quote Originally Posted by IAN DAVID FRYER View Post
    ALAN CLOSE was 16 in Jan.1931..so not a child
    He was 13.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    He was 13.
    Thanks MARK.He was actually 14 according to GOODMAN(P.80)I was confusing him with the newspaper boy,ALLISON WILDMAN who was 16. GED.on the next page(81) at the very bottom,it states that the LIVERPOOL ECHO(21.1.31)said that"Mr Wallace left home at 6.15 and got back at 7.45" sic & sic again!! Too my mind IF he had got back at 7.45..he'd be right in the frame...IAN(FJumble)

Hi all,

Forgive me - I truly thought this was a forum - a place for discussion! Mark, am so sorry mate, I had no idea I was intruding here. Wishing all a wonderful Festive Season.

Warmest

John Gannon

Ged you better remove the police photos from your Wallace Page
    It is Accomplished

Hi MARKR.has something gone wrong with the thread,or is it just my computor? I was just going to ask you about the letter from Goodman & query your post about someone called KATE(?)..but its gone completely...have we got a glich somewhere? IAN(FJUmble)

Hi again MARK.I think you may have tried to send me a personal note(?)..but.if so, it didnt get thru...my computor seems to have blocked it.IAN(FJumble)
    I keep reading ALAN CLOSE's testimony/witness statements..which as we we know vary markedly. he told 4 youngsters(Elsie Wright,Kenneth Caird, & 2 newspaper boys Harold Jones & Douglas Metcalf) that he'd seen & spoken to JULIA at a "Quarter to Seven" & then, in front of them all, he did his "I'm the missing link"piece(seems hard to believe all four children could make this up) ...yet in court he was surly,very hostile, totally uncooperative, AND DENIED everything saying, when pressed, "No.between 6.30 & 6.45"
    (Harold Jones seems to have been missed off the list as OLIVER only says 3 witness's) I wonder what the 4 youngsters attitude was to ALAN CLOSE was after the trial..because he'd called the all liars..did they speak to him again or what...does anybody know? IAN

It's not difficult to think that perhaps his brief told him he'd best just go along with the police as 'forensic experts' cannot be wrong and it'd make you look silly if you stuck to your 6.45 story and perhaps you were mistaken (even though he knew he wasn't and the recently set clock on Holy Trinity bore this out)

No doubt the police and prosecution also poured scorn on his version of events bringing his young age into it etc etc.

Hi Ian

Yes you're right regarding the youngsters with Close. Their testimonies were that Close said 'a quarter to seven' and Close said he said 'between 6.30 and a quarter to seven.' I have always thought of the irony of the police/Prosecution trying to get the time back as much as possible. If Close wouldn't have called at No 29 they would have been pushing the time forward in order to give Wallace adequate time to have carried the killing out etc.
    As with regards any subsequent relationships between the kids I'm not sure... Maybe Close would have said that he was 'advised' by the police to stick to his guns so to speak, and wasn't necessarily calling them liars but they might have heard it wrong (which I don't believe they did!)
    It is Accomplished

Thanks MARK..Yes,thats a good point you make about the police having to revise the time of the murder..because of course they were told initially by the "forensic experts"..she was dead before 6 pm.They then had to do an about turm when ALAN CLOSE said he spoke to her at 7.45 pm.I wonder if the big age discrepancy-McFall being told she was in her early fifties-(but Murphy,in 1981,first discovered she was actually almost 70))had a bearing on his rigour mortis estimate? Perhaps in his experince the frail aged body suggested death had occurred much earlier than in fact it had?
    Just going back to the testimony of the other children regarding what CLOSE actually said the day after the murder...WILKES just refers to the 3 children all being totally united & unmoved by what ALAN CLOSE told them..he spoke to her at 6.45 ..but on checking there was of course the 4th person HAROLD JONES(called DAVID by R.F.HUSSEY)who was "over 20" but delivered the Echo to 29, Wolverton St.at 6.35(according to HUSSEY changed from earlier 6.30)but "I see nobody"...perhaps he should have seen the milkboy if he was actually changing the milk at about 6.30 or 6.35....it was clearly LATER...WILDMAN(16) was of course only a few feet away from CLOSE & said CLOSE was at No.29 at 6.37pm. All this goes al long way to convince me that JULIA WAS still alive & reading the spread out Echo when WHW left for Menlove Gardens at about 6.50(as he must have left no later!)..IAN(FJumble)

Page 88 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast