Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 1511

Thread: Julia Wallace Murder Case

50 pages and no meat yet?

I'm not sure i'm too interested in the background of the bit part players relatives etc but then Marsden I think is being fingered here as possibly the main suspect?

Although i'm getting it tomorrow, i'm out all day with the band then off to Runcorn so it'll be Sunday or even monday before I get to start it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I thought this thread would be abuzzing by now - am most disappointed! Still no signs of Amazon delivering my copy of the book. Could be next month the way things are going.

I'm afraid John that the books haven't hit the shelves of Waterstones as yet. Fearing that my local one in Ormskirk was a backwater let down for not having it in, I went to the one in Liverpool1 today to be told they won't have it in until 28th. Sack your publisher

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I don't think i'll look in on this thread again until i've rad it in case it prejudices my thoughts on it. But, be sure, i'll be back to comment on it afterwards.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Sorry to hear you havnt got the new book yet GED...WATERSTONES in Liverpool had it last week..so they must have sold out...(the Ormskirk branch is my LOCAL shop too,but I dont think they stocked it)..what about trying PRITCHARDS where Rod got his copy? I've still only read the first 8 chapters & the detail is amazing...a lot of new info. that I cerainly wasnt aware of & I still havnt read about MARSDEN yet except where he was named to the police by a Mr R.J QUALROUGH...real person!!! as RAYMOND CHANDLER said THE WALLACE CASE IS UNBEATABLE!!! More when I finish it..IAN(FJumble)

IAN, I am still waiting for my copy of the book. I am practically chopping at the bit. I can't wait to have a discussion, once you are finished. I agree this case is unbeatable...but we can hope this book will have conquered it.

Had an email from Amazon - my book has been despatched. Should be delivered by Friday - but hoping it's tomorrow!

Got my book today - Amazon is the best online retailer ever!

However.......

Had a quick look at the book - and was very disappointed to see some post mortem photos of Mrs Wallace. Whilst I understand that a researcher would need to see such photos, I don't think they should be available for general public consumption. I think it's disrespectful to Mrs Wallace who was an elderly woman, who met a horrible end. Surely a description of the injuries would have been more appropriate.

Perhaps John you can comment on why such pictures needed to be included?

I'd also be interested to know what others think of these photographs because I really feel strongly about the lack of privacy shown to Mrs Wallace.

Hi BURKHILLY.glad you have got your copy,AMAZON'S service is excellent for books,though The W.H.SMITH service that ROD highlighted was unbeatable for me!..I have now read the book which I really enjoyed.I take your point about the 3 morg.photos.being disrespectful,although the book doesnt show the complete photographs(as shown on this thread a few months ago) of the entire body,but only the head & shoulders & highlights the amount of violence used by the killer..you can clearly see her head is battered out of shape in an attack that clearly was planned & deliberate rather than a random assault. I think the new book moves things on..it consolidates my long-held belief that WHW could not possibly have carried out the attack himself..but was clearly involved! PARRY was R.M.QUALTROUGH..but didnt murder JULIA. I think MARSDEN is a very plausible candidate for the killing,but there isnt enough real hard evidence, except circumstantial, to make me certain!!!Shame there is no photo.of MARSDEN .JOHN GANNON's research & attention to detail are amazing & a lot of misunderstandings are clarified..ie.WHW was a stranger to the Allerton area,he clearly wasnt! WHW "nobbled" Joseph Crewe about the times he actually visited his house in the area..& he tried to do the same to BEATTIE in N.John St.(a most interesting section)Also LILY HALL's most important witness statement is shown in a proper light..there are numerous points like this that are clarified & now make more sense...IAN(FJumble)

Ian - I did start to read your post above, but stopped because I want to form my own views on the book. Certainly having read just three chapters I think I can see where the book is going, which doesn't make me happy, as I believe Mr Wallace to be innocent. Having said this, I could be wrong so will comment more when I read more.

Thanks BURKHILLY..I think you are very wise...perhaps I should have kept stum like ROD sensibly did..until a few more have read it!! IAN

Just read the book. I think it is absolutely wonderfully done. A plethora of new information that has been unearthed.

I believe this book proved that William Herbert Wallace was in effect guilty of the murder of his wife Julia. And that Parry was Qualtrough. As far as Marsden being the culprit...very probable but not proved in my opinion. So I agree with you, Ian, in that. Let's get a discussion of the finer points of the book going.

Thanks JON.I agree with you 100%!! I think the new book moves things on considerably. however the reason for the blackmail threat dosnt fit for me ..I think revealing the stealing from The PRUDENTIAL is far more likely than her paying them for sex..she was nearly 70 after all! I find the mystery of JULIA WALLACE herself almost as baffling as the murder itself!! I surmised on the thread a while back that maybe there were in fact 2 different ladies..the original JULIA DENIS died & JW took her identity.Its hard to believe that an experinced pathologist like McFaul(admittedly awful!!)could put a woman of nearly 70 as in her early 50's. Also,why did her sister,AMY DENIS just appear after the murder,request the fur coat & go straight back home..in fact it's very odd that NONE of her family attended either her wedding or her funeral!! AMY DENIS was 3 years younger than JULIA her older sister...yet she was expected to accept JULIA was about 14 years younger than she was!! AMY DENIS is very formal in her dealings with WHW..but doesnt seem to have a problem with him..only JW!!
    The new book clarifies so many misnomers about the case...especially as I stated earlier regarding LILY HALL, BEATTIE & James Crewe..amongst many others!! Regards IAN(FJumble)

Yes IAN,

The book to me is now the seminal work on this case. Even if one disagrees with aspects of the theory, I think it does a very good job of tying together the Wallace and Parry working together angle. This had been suggested before cleverly by Richard Waterhouse in the Insurance Man But John has the facts and research to really back it up. The writing style is as good as Murphy, but with Goodman's honesty of research. (No withheld statements!) And boy is there a lot of great info in this book!

IAN, I agree; Julia Wallace did seem to be a bit of an anomaly. The age discrepancy is truly incredible, and I have never felt completely satisfied with the current, seemingly accepted explanation about that. She did seem to have a strained relationship with her family as well as did WHW, although apparently not quite as much.

I think your theory about assuming another's identity, or something of that nature is actually quite plausible when one stops to consider who Julia Wallace was. She was clearly trying to be much younger than her true age, and had apparently isolated herself either thru choice, or actions from every member of her family including distant family. This is evidenced by the attendance at the wedding or funeral.

The personal angle of this case is what is so fascinating to me. I remember in the first book I read about the case, a chapter in a book called Guilty or Innocent, they portrayed Wallace as a stoic, but nice old man and Julia as a sweet old lady. I was 10 at the time, scared badly by the book and this case in particular. Then there was a picture of Parry, his mugshot straight-on one, looking sinister and mean. The book hinted at Parry being the guilty party, and acting alone. I remember thinking how awful it was; and how sweet Wallace and his wife were. From studying the case over many years, I have a far different opinion of their personalities. I think Wallace was a fastidious, stoic-bordering on mean, somewhat nerdy but quite sharp and very bitter man. He had seemingly found his match in the supposedly earthy, well-travelled Julia Denis. But she was a vain, vapid, wannabe social climber who didn't share Wallace's scientific interests and had lied to him about his age. (I'm sure he discovered this early on.) He just grew tired of her, her intellectual inferiority, and increasing illness with her lied about age, and his personality and core drove him to be OK with, and even delight in the planning of, the perfect murder!!

As far as Parry goes, I think he was far less of a hardened criminal, and much more of a 'wide boy.' Expedient, short-sighted in goals, and obsessed with his personal comfort and satisfaction. Basically, a brat.

THANKS JOHN...the more you read about the case,the more it intrigues!! I've been fascinated by it all my life as was my father. As a boy,he was attending school at St.Margarets School where WHW caught his first tram on the murder night! I was raised in a house which was almost identical to Wolverton Street and the front room(the parlour) was out of bounds...it was only used for visitors & would have been cold in January..hence the fire beng it! Reading "The Devil..",the meticulous disection of the murder scene & the actual execution is outstanding research,JOHN proves the body was moved & that the "official" murder scene photographs are at best very misleading! Its now surely difficult to believe anyone still thinks WHW actually battered poor JULIA himself.... as MURPHY etc. claimed!!! The point about the money(notes) being kept in JULIA'S corset is not I think odd or unusual..I know my Grandmother & my mother both did this!! IAN(FJumble)

The book arrived yesterday.

Is it just me or is the print exceptionally small?

Is this what it's like getting old?

Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast