Thread: Model of the city.

Default Model of the city.

This model of the vision for the city intrigues me as the North Western Hotel on Lime Street seems to be missing. I've heard stories, (possible myths some of them?) about how the St. Georges Hall, St Lukes and Albert Dock were all at one time considered for demolition but surely not that hotel as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Look at what the powers that be have demolished in the past and continue to do so in some instances. I can imagine someone in the past deciding to demolish any of the well known buildings, but not St George's Hall - surely that is a myth.

Thank god that Lime Street Station is looking great again, after knocking down all the eyesores.

I think that one may well be the myth, especially since it's supposed to have been only as recently as the 1980s when it was run down and costing a lot to maintain during Derek Hatton's reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    This model of the vision for the city intrigues me as the North Western Hotel on Lime Street seems to be missing. I've heard stories, (possible myths some of them?) about how the St. Georges Hall, St Lukes and Albert Dock were all at one time considered for demolition but surely not that hotel as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Sorry, perhaps I've missed something - but where did this model come from? It reminds me of that futuristic 'flyover' of the Waterfront, produced a few years ago that shows skyscraper blocks but no sign of the Three Graces.

I decided then that the planners must really hate everything to do with our architectural heritage, but hoped that they wouldn't get their way.

Blog Entries

The white insertions around the city look like 1960's proposals? The only thing I prefer on this model is the beacon. It would of benefited from a tapering body, and with something a little more interesting on top. But COST probably won the day....and some really poor city planning.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

There was no serious proposal to demolish St.George's Hall.

The North Western Hotel had a number of proposals - a large white modern building in 1948. The building was a flop from the start. The Hotel never was a success and short lived. The renamed Lime St Chambers was largely empty.

As the city moves further onto the docks, this part of the city centre will be marginalized. London Rd as a major shopping street has gone making Lime St effectively the eastern border of the city centre. Unless the city expands rapidly.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Look at the elevated road on the Dock Rd.The inner motorway. This section did follow its path with the curve into Parliament St. The only section to be built was the Strand to Leeds St, then it was extended along the Dock Rd to Parli, but no elevated section.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

I have more stills of this with spaghetti junction type looped flyovers on Scotland Road at Leeds St. Very futuristic indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    The white insertions around the city look like 1960's proposals? The only thing I prefer on this model is the beacon. It would of benefited from a tapering body, and with something a little more interesting on top. But COST probably won the day....and some really poor city planning.
    I remember seeing this model(or similar) with the "spire" on St. John's beacon,and was disappointed when it never materialised!It was supposed to be some type of telecommunications sender/receiver,from what I remember,and without it,I think the tower always looked unfinished!