YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eldon place december 1940

Thanks

Default eldon place december 1940

Hi
    Not been on for a bit-been bogged down with college but i have a new line of research. trying to gather info on the bombings of eldon place area on 21st december 1940. Am researching the morton family for a friend and i found two people who died at eldon place on the 21st december 1940 , george and madelaine morton-and wondered if i could find any more info on this apart from the info on the commonwealth war graves site . I wondered if thre was something online i could access or would i have to go to liverpool record office to find any more info??? I have read that there were lots of civilians killed on that night and wondered how this couple got involved. i know air raid shelters were bombed etc. any advice or info would be really appreciated . thanks
    shirleya

ADVERTISING

Thanks

I would suggest a trip over to the Eldonian Village Hall in Burlington St and ask there.
    There is a memorial list on the wall in the bar. It has the names of people from the area, including entire families, who died in bombing raids.
    I am aware that the list won't tell you all you want to know, but there are people who go in the club and have lived in the area for many years, I'm sure they would be very helpful.
    Thursday afternoon is a good time to catch someone for information.

If you don't get any joy there, walk over to the Vauxhall centre in Sylvester St and ask there, they'll help all they can.

Thanks

Was it Blacksock Gardens? im sure that was bombed on that date. The memorial is on Vauxhall road at the bottom of Blackstock street.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Thanks

The trouble with WW2 bombings is that they kept them out of the press so the Enemy never found out.

Ive read a few stories on thiis one. Im sure Ged posted one once?

Thanks

thanks guys. trouble is i live in burnley and my next trip to liverpool may not be for a while. will take up your suggestions thoough, as i am sure there will be something in the paper somewhere. in the library where i work they have a photo album of folk who died in the wars, so you never know, there may even be a photograph of the couple somewhere.??????
    thanks again-and if anyone can suggest ideas until i get to liverpool it will be really appreciated.
    thanks
    shirleya

Thanks

http://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/...ackstock13.htm

Not sure if this is the one you mean? It was very close to Eldon Place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast