Thread: Restore Liverpool's Parks!

Default Graffiti at Otterspool

Hope this is OK. First post and first pic.
    My mother worked here many many moons ago.

I've got to say that phredd's photograph of the old cafe at Otterspool depresses me, the graffiti, the rundown look of the place, even the grass between the pavement flags. I remember returning to Liverpool in the seventies and seeing grass growing in the sidewalks of Liverpool which hadn't been like that when I left to come back to the US in 1968.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I've got to say that phredd's photograph of the old cafe at Otterspool depresses me, the graffiti, the rundown look of the place, even the grass between the pavement flags. I remember returning to Liverpool in the seventies and seeing grass growing in the sidewalks of Liverpool which hadn't been like that when I left to come back to the US in 1968.

Chris
    Otterspool park like many of the great parks in Liverpool has been left to rot. The grass is mown and the occasional tree is removed when it's in danger of falling over. The upper level (nearer to Otterspool Road) has completely gone to seed with the paths no longer maintained - trees block some of the barely visible paths. The café is in an even worse state of neglect at the moment - one of the wooden pillars (painted to look like something more substantial) is in danger of collapsing. Sad, really, how underused the park has become. The promenade itself is looking better than it has ever done. The Otterspool pub is popular (and plastic) and busy. The playing fields off Jericho Lane are always busy, and the shops at the top of Mersey Road are having a renaissance. Things change. I think, overall, this part of Liverpool is changing for the better - four trains an hour from Aigburth into Central station can only be good. You probably remember this station as Mersey Road & Aigburth.

Ditto what ChrisGeorge said
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Otterspool park like many of the great parks in Liverpool has been left to rot. The grass is mown and the occasional tree is removed when it's in danger of falling over. The upper level (nearer to Otterspool Road) has completely gone to seed with the paths no longer maintained - trees block some of the barely visible paths. The café is in an even worse state of neglect at the moment - one of the wooden pillars (painted to look like something more substantial) is in danger of collapsing. Sad, really, how underused the park has become. The promenade itself is looking better than it has ever done. The Otterspool pub is popular (and plastic) and busy. The playing fields off Jericho Lane are always busy, and the shops at the top of Mersey Road are having a renaissance. Things change. I think, overall, this part of Liverpool is changing for the better - four trains an hour from Aigburth into Central station can only be good. You probably remember this station as Mersey Road & Aigburth.
    Hi Jericho

Many thanks for all this information. It sounds as if there is some good news mixed in with the bad. I do think that parks are essential for the well being of the people of the city and I think it's a disgrace that they have been let go. During the buildup to the Derby match I saw a brief few shots of Stanley Park and it looked ratty as well from what I can see. I hope the city can see its way to restoring the parks -- they are jewels of the community and need to be treated as such.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Hi Kev

Many thanks for making this discussion a separate section from the Picture of the Day thread itself. It is an important topic.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Hi Chris, as far as I am aware, this is still the Picture of The Day thread

Oh, right I got you now, the penny drops
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The Ornamental Gardens In Greenbank park were restored In 2005.

Dunno where those Oriental Gardens are In Otterspool yet either.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.