Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dingle Paintings

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Yup, it looks like we're closing in on our target now: Colin's Bridewell is just off the bottom of Duke Street and was definitely an old police station, complete with cells for prisoners. The dining alcoves in this restaurant make use of these original cells (cosy if you're into that kind of thing!). He's now sold it though and it's now known as Jalon's Bridewell, so not sure what name it would be best to Google under...
    Wow, good for you. I have not had time to look as when I got back from the Hamptons I had invites for BAFTA to work on and workmen came to put a new counter top in (old one was from the 40's!!!!) Now I am redoing cupboards as I am having a 'chi' moment!

What you have found fits in perfectly with what I came up with so we can consider that to be fact. YAY!!

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

I am so glad you put this thread up Dazza, I just love it.

My Aunt Alice had a really old map of Liverpool and her street (Micawber Street) and the rest of the Dickens streets were listed as the 'Dingle Cottages'

Blog Entries

Thanks Roni,

I'm glad you like it, though I'm sorry I didn't call the thread "The Dingle: Artists, Writers, Poets". It was a place of Victorian inspiration, both for those living there and for travellers alike.

The original two paintings I posted - I'm fairly certain they were by Florence Macan Willink, [nee Urmston] 1867-1933 who lived at Dingle Head, Dingle Lane. Both paintings were done in 1893, when she was aged about 26, in the year she married. There's a greater catalogue of her work [watercolours] at the Martime Museum which I'll put up on the site once I've photographed/ copied them.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Thanks Roni,

I'm glad you like it, though I'm sorry I didn't call the thread "The Dingle: Artists, Writers, Poets". It was a place of Victorian inspiration, both for those living there and for travellers alike.

The original two paintings I posted - I'm fairly certain they were by Florence Macan Willink, [nee Urmston] 1867-1933 who lived at Dingle Head, Dingle Lane. Both paintings were done in 1893, when she was aged about 26, in the year she married. There's a greater catalogue of her work [watercolours] at the Martime Museum which I'll put up on the site once I've photographed/ copied them.
    Yes, I put in one of my early posts I kept coming back to her for those paintings. All roads I took led me back to her.

As an aside, what is this Toxteth crap they use these days??? I was born and grew up in Dingle and when I see the area now on TV or news they call it Toxteth

Blog Entries

Naughty of 'em. The Toxteth boundary is Dingle Lane. The confusion I think comes from the fact that the Dingle was once part of Toxteth Park, when the Earl of Sefton owned it. The eastern boundary would've been Otterspool. Also it would of included the land that was to become Sefton park as well.

Sorry, I haven't got the map, just citing from The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth Liverpool, by Robert Griffiths.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Naughty of 'em. The Toxteth boundary is Dingle Lane. The confusion I think comes from the fact that the Dingle was once part of Toxteth Park, when the Earl of Sefton owned it. The eastern boundary would've been Otterspool. Also it would of included the land that was to become Sefton park as well.

Sorry, I haven't got the map, just citing from The History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth Liverpool, by Robert Griffiths.
    It is naughty as we lived near Prices Park and my Gran (Nana) lived in Treborth Street right next to the park. It is DINGLE

Blog Entries

The Dingle area, or district: I'll stick my neck out and say I think the land followed the original course of the stream that fed into the Mersey?

Does anyone know what are boundary roads are for the Dingle?

Dingle is an area entirely within the boundaries of the old Toxteth Park.

It is named after Dingle Brook (Dingle meaning a wooded valley), which rose at High Park Street and roughly followed Park Road, towards the Old Toxteth Chapel, just south of Dingle Lane and entered the River Mersey at Knott's Hole, which was just behind Dingle Point. It was a mainly Protestant area which developed from the influx of Welsh settlers, whilst the North end of Liverpool was settled by Irish immigrants, and became mainly Catholic.

Between 1896 and 1956, the Liverpool Overhead Railway's terminus and only underground station was Dingle railway station, located on Park Road, Dingle. This was the end of the line for services from Seaforth and Litherland in the north of the city.

[edit] Description

Blog Entries

Thanks Roni. I wonder whether the Chapel was on the Toxteth side, or the Dingle side of the stream?

Thanks Roni. I wonder whether the Chapel was on the Toxteth side, or the Dingle side of the stream?
    LOL. Although we said we lived in the Dingle my Nan lived in Princes Park and that proves her right. I went to the park almost every day when I lived with her. We kids in that street thought it was our front garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Sharples View Post
    There's a thread about Dickens connections in Liverpool here:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...hlight=dickens
    Worth reading because it's an urban myth about Dickens and Jalons Bridewell (1861 - too late).
    The police/fire station in Seel Street/Duke Street, next to Dukes Terrace is probably the one where Dickens was made an honourary constable.
    Not sure why we can dismiss the Argyll St/ Lydia Ann St/ Campbell Sq. bridewell from any link with Dickens - why is 1861 'too late'?
    Is the following to be discredited? Are you saying perhaps that the plaque is not a genuine Blue Plaque but one put up by Colin/ Jalons to bring in the punters?

From Liverpool.com by Alan Weston

A CONVERTED Victorian prison which was transformed into a chic bar and restaurant in Liverpool city centre has reopened under new ownership.

The former Colin's Bridewell in Campbell Square, off Duke Street, closed a year ago. It has now been taken over and refurbished by the Jalons brand, which already owns a restaurant in Smithdown Road.

Renamed Jalons Bridewell, it is hoping to take advantage of the extra trade provided by the nearby Liverpool One shopping complex in Paradise Street.

As part of the revamp, the seating in the seven original prison cells on the ground floor has been luxuriously reupholstered in velvet.

However, distinctive features such as the heavy, oak cell doors, spy-holes and iron rings used to chain prisoners have all been retained.

On the upper level, the restaurant has been completely redesigned to include a champagne lounge. The outside has also been sandblasted to reveal its original Victorian features.

General manager John Wignall said: "This building has a lot of history and we are in a good position to take advantage of Liverpool One.

"The substantial six-figure sum we have invested has revitalised the old building and brought it back to life."

The two-storey Bridewell dates from about 1850 and was used as a police station and jail until 1932 when it was bought by Liverpool Central Clothing Committee, a charity distributing clothing and footwear to the needy and unemployed.

There is also a plaque to commemorate the fact that Victorian writing legend Charles Dickens signed up as a special constable at the Bridewell jail so he could research his novels about abject poverty in 1860.

Its large exterior wall was erected in the late 19th century after a riot by Chinese sailors.

The Grade II-listed building, which boasts an Italianate-style tower and the original Victorian ventilation system, is now a focal part of the regenerated Liverpool Rope Walks development.

The official launch takes place in January.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Not sure why we can dismiss the Argyll St/ Lydia Ann St/ Campbell Sq. bridewell from any link with Dickens - why is 1861 'too late'?
    Is the following to be discredited? Are you saying perhaps that the plaque is not a genuine Blue Plaque but one put up by Colin/ Jalons to bring in the punters?

]From Liverpool.com by Alan Weston

A CONVERTED Victorian prison which was transformed into a chic bar and restaurant in Liverpool city centre has reopened under new ownership.

The former Colin's Bridewell in Campbell Square, off Duke Street, closed a year ago. It has now been taken over and refurbished by the Jalons brand, which already owns a restaurant in Smithdown Road.

Renamed Jalons Bridewell, it is hoping to take advantage of the extra trade provided by the nearby Liverpool One shopping complex in Paradise Street.

As part of the revamp, the seating in the seven original prison cells on the ground floor has been luxuriously reupholstered in velvet.

However, distinctive features such as the heavy, oak cell doors, spy-holes and iron rings used to chain prisoners have all been retained.

On the upper level, the restaurant has been completely redesigned to include a champagne lounge. The outside has also been sandblasted to reveal its original Victorian features.

General manager John Wignall said: "This building has a lot of history and we are in a good position to take advantage of Liverpool One.

"The substantial six-figure sum we have invested has revitalised the old building and brought it back to life."

The two-storey Bridewell dates from about 1850 and was used as a police station and jail until 1932 when it was bought by Liverpool Central Clothing Committee, a charity distributing clothing and footwear to the needy and unemployed.

There is also a plaque to commemorate the fact that Victorian writing legend Charles Dickens signed up as a special constable at the Bridewell jail so he could research his novels about abject poverty in 1860.

Its large exterior wall was erected in the late 19th century after a riot by Chinese sailors.

The Grade II-listed building, which boasts an Italianate-style tower and the original Victorian ventilation system, is now a focal part of the regenerated Liverpool Rope Walks development.

The official launch takes place in January.
    Yes, I agree. I fully believed it when I found there are a few mentions of it in various places.

Quentin_Sharples

It's not a genuine Blue Plaque.

Here it is.
    (For the gullible and the tourists.)

1861 "Too late".
    Sorry about that, but "Probably too late" should have been said.
    PhilipG proved that Dickens had been a "special constable" at least as early as 1848.
    In the 1860s he was getting on.

The Bridewell was built in 1860-1, and opened in 1861.
    That has been proved.

Are you going to say I've been to the Taj Mahal simply because it existed during my lifetime?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridewell.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	16003  

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Sharples View Post
    It's not a genuine Blue Plaque.

1861 "Too late".
    Sorry about that, but "Probably too late" should have been said.
    PhilipG proved that Dickens had been a "special constable" at least as early as 1848.
    In the 1860s he was getting on.

The Bridewell was built in 1860-1, and opened in 1861.
    That has been proved.

Are you going to say I've been to the Taj Mahal simply because it existed during my lifetime?
    Looks like I have to do some research. I believe fully that Dickens became a constable. Would he have to be young Quentin, he was a 'special' so maybe not. This gets better and better!!! Can't do it now as I have been invited again to the Hamptons, very short notice as it is tomorrow till Thurs. I need to decide what to take and pack.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast