Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dingle Paintings

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    My pleasure Lindy. I have to double check it all as I did not know most of the information on there. Fascinating if it is all true. I think I have read once before about Dickens signing up as a policeman to get info but the rest is news to me.
    Could well be true, though can't vouch for it personally. Have read (probably in publicity for Colin McKeown's Bridewell Restaurant) that Dickens was posted there as a serving policeman at one time...

Blog Entries

My pleasure Lindy. I have to double check it all as I did not know most of the information on there. Fascinating if it is all true. I think I have read once before about Dickens signing up as a policeman to get info but the rest is news to me.
    That's true. Dicken's was signed up as a special constable in Liverpool close to or in Duke Street, and that was to form the basis of some of his observations in The Uncommon Traveller - although I had a quick look through, and couldn't find any direct references. Maybe it's worth another look.

Thomas Paine's bones - ha, I wonder if that's true....it turned up in a Byron poem, maybe it is? The Custom House in question would have been the one on the site of the new John Lewis today in Liverpool One.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Could well be true, though can't vouch for it personally. Have read (probably in publicity for Colin McKeown's Bridewell Restaurant) that Dickens was posted there as a serving policeman at one time...
    It is interesting though isn't it John.? This is the kind of thing I love. When I stumble on something I had no idea about which I would be really interested in knowing about. YUM!

Oh noooooooooo. Now I need to know about the Bridewell restaurant!
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    That's true. Dicken's was signed up as a special constable in Liverpool close to or in Duke Street, and that was to form the basis of some of his observations in The Uncommon Traveller - although I had a quick look through, and couldn't find any direct references. Maybe it's worth another look.

Thomas Paine's bones - ha, I wonder if that's true....it turned up in a Byron poem, maybe it is? The Custom House in question would have been the one on the site of the new John Lewis today in Liverpool One.
    I think it is true!! It gives you the Byron poem on the link I put up. Facinating. I need more info and later tonight I will search for more.......
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

I think it is true!! It gives you the Byron poem on the link I put up. Facinating. I need more info and later tonight I will search for more.......
    Yup, it looks like we're closing in on our target now: Colin's Bridewell is just off the bottom of Duke Street and was definitely an old police station, complete with cells for prisoners. The dining alcoves in this restaurant make use of these original cells (cosy if you're into that kind of thing!). He's now sold it though and it's now known as Jalon's Bridewell, so not sure what name it would be best to Google under...

Hi squiggs, I can see you've got a bee in your bonnet over this - although it's hard to makeout in your photo?
    LOL !!, this is actually a photograph of my paternal Grandmother (I think on her wedding day) who died when my Dad was only 8 and it is the only known photograph of her !.

Quentin_Sharples

There's a thread about Dickens connections in Liverpool here:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...hlight=dickens
    Worth reading because it's an urban myth about Dickens and Jalons Bridewell (1861 - too late).
    The police/fire station in Seel Street/Duke Street, next to Dukes Terrace is probably the one where Dickens was made an honourary constable.
    There's also a thread about Bridewells here:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ight=bridewell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    LOL !!, this is actually a photograph of my paternal Grandmother (I think on her wedding day) who died when my Dad was only 8 and it is the only known photograph of her !.
    Hi squiggs, she looks quite the Edwardian lady, a lovely photograph. It's a real shame about her dying so young. Was she from Liverpool?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Sharples View Post
    There's a thread about Dickens connections in Liverpool here:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...hlight=dickens
    Worth reading because it's an urban myth about Dickens and Jalons Bridewell (1861 - too late).
    The police/fire station in Seel Street/Duke Street, next to Dukes Terrace is probably the one where Dickens was made an honourary constable.
    There's also a thread about Bridewells here:
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...ight=bridewell
    I'll reply in the Dicken's thread. Thanks for the links.

Oh yikes, I am a geek, I am still following this trail Daz, I found this, nothing to do with the paintings but sounds such a lovely description....

His landlady Mrs Blodget, with whom he lodged in 1853 and in the winter of 1855–6, lived at 153 (formerly 133) Duke St. Mrs Harriet Beecher Stowe came on a visit in 1853 and stayed with Mr Cropper, a brother‐in‐law of Matthew Arnold, at Dingle Bank—‘a beautiful little retreat on the banks of the Mersey’

Read more: Liverpool Merseyside - Merseyside http://www.jrank.org/literature/page...#ixzz0qa8j8e9T
    At that URL quoted above it states "Washington Irving's literary connection with Liverpool was tenuous". Really? This would appear to be an ill-informed statement. Irving wrote an appreciation of Liverpool's great man of the day, William Roscoe. In addition, in "Roscoe" he describes visiting Roscoe's former country home, Allerton Hall, in The Sketch Book (1820). Roscoe had by then become bankrupt and the hall sold, and Irving finishes his essay by quoting the writer's moving "To My Books" about having to sell his library. Irving also includes some censure of the citizens of Liverpool for allowing the great man to be reduced to such circumstances.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quentin_Sharples

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    At that URL quoted above it states "Washington Irving's literary connection with Liverpool was tenuous". Really? This would appear to be an ill-informed statement. Irving wrote an appreciation of Liverpool's great man of the day, William Roscoe. In addition, in "Roscoe" he describes visiting Roscoe's former country home, Allerton Hall, in The Sketch Book (1820). Roscoe had by then become bankrupt and the hall sold, and Irving finishes his essay by quoting the writer's moving "To My Books" about having to sell his library. Irving also includes some censure of the citizens of Liverpool for allowing the great man to be reduced to such circumstances.

Chris
    Perhaps the Scousers knew he'd gone into the banking business with a notorious slave-trader (Thomas Leyland - "The Richest Man in Liverpool").

Here are some Googled links about the matter of Thomas Paine's bones and their connection to Liverpool.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Here are some Googled links about the matter of Thomas Paine's bones and their connection to Liverpool.
    Tom Paine's Bones:

John Lewis Department Store, [Liverpool One] should have a blue plaque placed on their store commemorating the historic fact that Tom Paine's bones, the author of Common Sense, and The Rights of Man had occupied space within William Cobbett's luggage whilst being interviewed at the 4th Custom's House, by the Old Dock, 21st November 1819. Now the site of John Lewis.

Further reading:

"Cobbett might have derived some encouragement from the warm reception of a crowd which had gathered to greet him when the 'Hercules' docked in Liverpool on the twenty-first of November, 1819. Less enthusiasm however was manifested for his dead companion and there was even some jeering when Cobbett displayed the cadaver at the customs house, declaring :

There, gentlemen, are the mortal remains of the immortal Thomas Paine."

Originally appeared, in edited form, in The Surrey Advertiser 22nd September 1989.

Source here.

Hi squiggs, she looks quite the Edwardian lady, a lovely photograph. It's a real shame about her dying so young. Was she from Liverpool?
    Hi !, yes she was born in Liverpool in 1894, married in 1914 had five children and sadly died in 1932 of TB her youngest child was only four !, it was that child my Aunty who gave me the photograph although it was sooo tiny !

Blog Entries

Hi squiggs, I noticed you were trying to access the 1911 census, was it to find your grandmother? If you like pm me the details and I'll try next time for you? One of us should get through.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast