YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 6 of 17

Thread: The great benefactors of Liverpool in the 18th century

  1. #1
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,504
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default The great benefactors of Liverpool in the 18th century

    1772 Infirmary


    ADVERTISING




    Details from a document showing who the great benefactors of Liverpool were in the 18th century.

    Courtesy LRO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL033.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	15877  

  2. #2
    Senior Member RonnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Huyton
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    A couple of dodgy slave owners on there Kev! Interesting stuff.

  3. #3
    Senior Member John Doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    A couple of dodgy slave owners on there Kev! Interesting stuff.
    Can you give more details: who are the dodgy ones?

  4. #4
    Senior Member fortinian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I think he probably means that they were dodgy because they were slave owners. In fact I recognise that 90%+ of the names on that list were slave traders.

    We must get out of this mindset that because Mr. so-and-so was a slave trader he was a brutal and inhumane person. In a hundred years time our descendants may look at us and think that because we let our terminal cancer/alczhiemers patients suffer until death that we are inhumane and brutal. Not the case.

    I'm not saying the slave trade wasn't cruel, brutal and inhumane but it would be terrible to judge these people on one aspect of their lives.

  5. #5
    Senior Member John Doh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    238
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    I think he probably means that they were dodgy because they were slave owners. In fact I recognise that 90%+ of the names on that list were slave traders.

    We must get out of this mindset that because Mr. so-and-so was a slave trader he was a brutal and inhumane person. In a hundred years time our descendants may look at us and think that because we let our terminal cancer/alczhiemers patients suffer until death that we are inhumane and brutal. Not the case.

    I'm not saying the slave trade wasn't cruel, brutal and inhumane but it would be terrible to judge these people on one aspect of their lives.
    OR, perhaps we should be judged too... and probably will be by future generations. Fair point, either way!

  6. #6
    Senior Member RonnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Huyton
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Can you give more details: who are the dodgy ones?
    Earle, Seel, Tarleton. Pay no attention to racist types who would, given another couple of generations, find no fault with anything the likes of Hitler, Himmler, Franco or Mussolini ever got around to. Just because Mr so-and-so thought partook of barbarism doesn't mean to say his followers might not find some excuse for his depravity in another few years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Liverpool in the sixteenth century
    By Howie in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 11:15 PM
  2. Liverpool in the “Long” 18th Century
    By Gnomie in forum Work and Industry in Liverpool
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
  3. Liverpool in 19th Century Literature and Magazines
    By ChrisGeorge in forum Liverpool History and Heritage Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @LiverpoolInPictures / Join the Facebook Group: Liverpool In Pictures (YO! Liverpool)

YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain. If you like the website, please donate via PayPal!