Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SANDCASTLE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    I personally don,t think we can afford new parks in Liverpool. The existing ones are not looked after regularly since the parkies went in the sixties.
    I'm sure we had parkies in the 80's.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

chippie

They may have had in the South of Liverpool Kev, but the poor north of Liverpool only dreamed of parkies in the 80s

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by chippie View Post
    They may have had in the South of Liverpool Kev, but the poor north of Liverpool only dreamed of parkies in the 80s
    I grew up in Croxteth and Lord Sefton's estate (prior to being council run), the woods, corn fields etc. were our playground. Believe me, they had parkies, mad one's, all with nicknames, Google-Eye, Peg-Leg and the likes. Game keepers as well that shot at us. As I used to sprint for Merseyside I was lucky enough never to be caught. I honestly think I would have broken many a world record the speed I scarpered under the threat of getting buck shot fired at me.

Happy days

chippie

Default marky,s been shot

I stand corrected, Kev and Marky. But they are bound to have parkies in Crocky aren,t they, a big estate like that. I was refering to the likes of Newsham and Stanley and Walton Hall parks mainly that are bereft of such fine policing.

Anyway Marky, what were you up to, to have a gamey shooting buckshot up yer,a***

Quote Originally Posted by scouseyuppie View Post

Parks are nice, but Liverpool has enough, and green spaces are overrated and not the way to take a city forward.........
    I totally disagree with that. There are no green spaces in the city centre anywhere. If you look at any great city it has space set aside for parks.
    Parks are exactly what this city needs. They add value to the surrounding buildings and provide much needed space for city to breath.
    The lack of any public space in Liverpool is one of the main reasons I'm looking to leave. I know that there will be a park (of sorts) when the Grosvenor scheme is complete but it's just not good enough. There is no need to shoehorn lettable space into every possible square inch for the sake of greed. Look at New York. I'm sure the land value of Central Park would be astronomical but they have the vision to realize that people need space.

St. John's Gardens is green space slap bang in the city centre - I know it's not a park as in Sefton, Stanley, Wally Hall or Newsham but you wouldn't bring your child into the busy, vehicle polluted city centre for a kick about would you.

There's a few other little havens such as the back of Bluecoat Chambers (was there pre Grosvenor and will be still there afterwards even better I believe) and halfway up Mount Pleasant on the right. Chavasse Park was green space in the city which will be reinstated with a fountain after the work is complete and the bits of green space lost at the Pier Head will be replaced with a public open space around the new canal link - Museum of LL.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Once you get out of the small city centre, it could be said that most of Liverpool is green open land, not to mention all the public parks, which, especially in south Liverpool, almost seem to merge into each other.
    Walk out of one, and before you know it you're walking into another.

Manhattan is not quite the best example to quote.
    Yes, it's got Central Park, but it's the only decent-sized park in the whole island.
    Apart from that, there's Washington Park (not much more than a square), and Battery Park (very small), and I can't think of any others.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-10-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Lightbulb

Lets not forget the nearby Otterspool Promenade which has just been refurbished and the soon to re-open garden festival site which will be completely open to the public. There's also Everton Park which if renovated, would be a great place to relax which is within 5 minutes of the city centre.

OK, I'll concede with you on St Johns gardens but thats about the only one. Others that have been mentioned are not city centre and Everton park mighty be 5 minutes from the city centre if your in a helicopter.
    Battery park is far bigger than anything Liverpool centre will have. I'm not convinced that Chavasse park will be anything like a park once its finished. It will be surrounded on all sides with businesses spilling out into it and no doubt you will be bombarded with advertising as far as the eye can see.

Where are the tree lined streets or quiet places to sit and have your lunch? And if we ever get a summer, where is there (apart from the crouds in Concert Square or the Pump House) to sit and have a drink outside, heaven forbid to eat outside.

PhilipG

RoddersUK.

We're way off-topic now.
    I'll continue this in the Parks thread.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-15-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scouseyuppie View Post
    Get rid of the Phalic Symble and the skyline looks great.(next line deleted)

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

PhilipG

Default Pretty lights on the Sandcastle.

18 July 07.
    Is the cladding complete on Westy?
    I know the back will be the last.

Last edited by PhilipG; 07-19-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    18 July 07.
    Is the cladding complete on Westy?
    I know the back will be the last.

The cladding will be placed on the back once the crane has been removed.

kat2

The crane (if beleived and taking weather conditions into account) will be taken down this saturday. Source skyscraper news. The cladding is just below the first metal support anchored onto the Beetham west tower.
    kat
    Last edited by kat2; 07-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast