Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SANDCASTLE

chippie

Thumbs down sandcastle

I personally don,t like the outside of this monstrosity (have attended lectures inside, not bad) but to add onto it would really turn me against it for good

I don't think the tower is going on top of it, I think it's going next to the existing building. The existing building is having 2 glass extensions placed on the eigth and ninth floors. It says a tower is going to be added to it, not on top of it.

I imagined more like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	3541  

Both seem plausable I suppose,I hope it's a definite improvement because I can't for the life of me work out how it can possibly look.

PhilipG

Wouldn't a tower 'on top' of the existing building involve all that part being demolished?
    Something like the Manchester Free Trade Hall.

Default SANDCASTLE

Adding towers on top or within existing buildings can work.
    Norman Foster stuck a 60 storey tower on top of one in New York to great effect.

Design idea for the old sandcastle....

Thumbs up

Great idea, but I doubt a tower that tall would be approved. Still a great idea though

'If Only' !!!!...

we need to think big, nothing is really sticking out at the moment, nothing is breaking the mold, its impressive but still not as good as it should be, we need real icons to reflect the city's return, not another spirt of concrete like the 60's

Steven

Seriously, I would prefer to see a hot-dog stand on that site rather than thast monstrosity.

Talking

well thats the kind of reaction that most of Liverpool landmarks recieved.....i dont believe in heritage and conformity so that reaction means the design is going in the right direction!

I think it is so concrete and fortress looking..chlosterphobic like a Prison.. yuck!!! Windows may improve it a tiny bit..Yet, I personally, don't like the architecture at all.
    Liverpools old charm is being lost rapidly..All the new structures of glass and concrete just doesn't make it visually charming. It was once a lovely skyline from the Mersey .
    I think that to go higher is not suitable .. If there is NO space left.. well, then stop smothering and leave it alone.. Too much ... maybe more parks would be nice in a concrete jungle ?

Well having "parks" in a major city in replace of new office buildings that make bold statements and provide new investment and jobs is exactly the reason why we need to stop as the public their opinion on new major projects ; ) seriously though, the design is not a prison, it would be fully glazed for the facade and reflect the sky and neighbouring architecture, giving the cube a transparency.

Parks are nice, but Liverpool has enough, and green spaces are overrated and not the way to take a city forward.........
    Last edited by scouseyuppie; 06-30-2007 at 03:08 PM.

chippie

Default parky out there

I personally don,t think we can afford new parks in Liverpool. The existing ones are not looked after regularly since the parkies went in the sixties. The flower beds aren,t maintained, the grass cut regularly.

If it takes a team of police to look after Stanley Park in the NORTH of Liverpool just to stop the glasshouse from going into extinction, Ive got no hope for the rest of the parks.

Has anyone seen Everton Park since it was created? The thought was there back in the 70s but the spirit of maintenance went out of the window as soon as it was completed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast