Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SANDCASTLE

Question SANDCASTLE

Does anyone know when the external renovation is due to begin on the former Royal Sunalliance building also known as the sandcastle? I did read a while ago that the owners are going to refurbish it inside and out.

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I was wondering what the sandcastle is

good name for it too

Sound doing the inside but a shame to do anything to the outside, I've always liked the Royal Insurance building and love the textured look of the concrete. Recladding it will make it bland and lose it's 70's character.

Wouldn't complain If they refurbished with Dynamite.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

PhilipG

Default Royal Insurance.

07-02-07.

That's the best pic I have ever seen of it! Overall, I agree with Max. Dynamite - soon.

Thumbs up

I don't think there is going to be any new cladding, I think they are going to get rid of all the individual windows and make them into long panoramic windows instead. I used to hate this building, but over the years I have come to like it because of it's uniqueness. The building is actually extremely well designed and is widely regarded as one of the best designed office buildings in the country which is years ahead of its time. I think that putting the new windows in will make the building more attractive, without losing any character. Use link for more info!

http://www.downing.com/sectors/index...g/IMG_0053.jpg
    Last edited by AK1; 02-09-2007 at 11:42 AM.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    That's the best pic I have ever seen of it! Overall, I agree with Max. Dynamite - soon.
    Thank you.
    I always thought it looked rather fortress-like, although I don't dislike it as much as I did.

I like this building, i agree it does need some attention, but it has such a majesty on the waterfront, which is slowly being complemented by smaller buildings on princess dock.

I think the opening up of the windows will be good, maybe some intergration with the surrounding areas, opening up the first and second floor for retail or restaurants around that area, might make it a bit more welcoming

The only problem with lengthening the windows etc is that the building was designed to lose as little energy as poss through the windows so they (as well as for aesthetic reasons) are a big part of the character.
    People ignore or criticise 60s and 70s buidings far too much and I think we need to be careful we don't lose all of the decent and unique ones - this being a very good example, even using heat exchange pumps to take heating from the water pumped from the loop line and water table. This is a very sophisticated building for its time and as stated by someone else - very distinctive. Dont forget that buildings like Oriel chambers were slated when they were built because they were not fashionable and are now seen as being iconic.
    The only criticism I could have of this building are the features related to the shankland plan i.e. high walkways etc. However, these can't be taken in isolation as the building was built at a time when all buildings being built in the city centre had to address this as part of the widescale masterplan.
    Aesthetics is one of those things that is so opinion led that people will never all agree on with a building such as this. However, architecture is not always just about aesthetics and good buildings have to be functional as well. This is a very good example of a building that marries function and form in a unique package and in my opinion should be repaired if neccesary and kept as is.

New tower for ‘sandcastle’

PLANS are in place to add a tower of up to 20 storeys to Liverpool’s “Sandcastle.”

The former Royal & SunAlliance office block sold to Liverpool developer George Downing for £51m last year has foundations strong enough to support a 20-storey tower.

But the ECHO understands Downing will be guided by city planners over the height of the eventual scheme which is set for the waterfront side of the block now renamed The Capital.

The development is under wraps, but sources say three designs have been prepared by different architects, including one described as “spectacular”.

Building materials will not match the current “sandcastle” design but will complement it.

A mixed-use development is the most favoured and could include an hotel with extensive conference facilities, offices and also apartments.

One source revealed: “Their vision is for a modern, cosmopolitan business hub with different occupiers.”

Downing Developments started the first phase of refurbishment last year which will transform the property into a modern corporate location. The 10th floor has been completed and is close to a letting.

A second phase of work was recently approved by council planners to add glazed extensions on floors eight and nine, providing 18,000 sq ft of office space in a £13m project set for completion by 2009.

The creation of a new tower will see the start of work on the third phase, which is understood to have been key to Downing’s presentations to banks to fund the £51m purchase.

Not only is the Capital located in the heart of the business district and overlooking the waterfront, it offers tremendous potential for further development, they told lenders.

“Look beyond the dated 1970s institutionalised interior and consider the development potential,” Downing told the banks.

A spokesman for Downing Developments said today: “I can confirm we are meeting English Heritage and Liverpool Vision this week to discuss the three proposals.

“We want to work closely with them to pick a scheme that makes the best use of this prestigious waterfront location and does the best service to the city.”

The ECHO understands that an announcement on which of the three proposed schemes is favoured is expected to be about a month away.

This sounds mad,I really wish we had a render to look at because I can't get my head around how it will look,even a 10 storey tower on top of that building will look massive.They did say "up to 20 stories" which probably means it will be much less,Downing are just trying their hand I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    This sounds mad,I really wish we had a render to look at because I can't get my head around how it will look,even a 10 storey tower on top of that building will look massive.They did say "up to 20 stories" which probably means it will be much less,Downing are just trying their hand I reckon.
    If you look at the picture below, I think the tower would go at the very front of the pic where the car park is.

Blog Entries

I imagined it on top of the highest point as I've shown in the attachment:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandcastle tower.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	3540  
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast